Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
So many species - so little knowledge
Camera: K20D Photo Location: Costa Rica 
Posted By: daacon, 03-04-2011, 07:37 AM

After a couple of nights of decadence at the Tabacon hotel (Volcanic Hot springs , ohh so nice) we headed up to the Arenal Observatory. There were several groups of bird watchers there and I can see why. I saw one group with a guide who had a scope pointing way up in the trees and all the people were taking turns looking. I later found out it was a Toucan - did not have the heart to tell them the day before I came within 3 feet of one.

Unfortunately for us it was overcast and the peak of the volcano was covered. Also it has been inactive for the last several months - just a regular cycle in the life of a volcano I am told. Would have loved to get some lava shots!

As it was this place offered more than enough photographic opportunities.

My classification skills include the blue one, the one with the yellow tail and other such scientific terms - Here is one place I sure wish I had the Bigma.

Setting out food makes for some arguments at times.

A few in a little more natural settig (bellies full or wating their turn)

Views: 4,223
03-04-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Huge variety all very colourful and you managed to get good focus in most shots. Well done.
03-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Beautiful colors in those birds. There are a few varieties you have missed. The LBJ or little brown job. Hard to capture one of those. There is also a variety known as the BUB or butt up birds. Usually found in lakes or rivers with their tails pointing to the sky as they dabble underwater.
03-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
THose are some kind of colors Dave.
Kind of puts the sparrows, starlings & blackbirds we have up here to shame!

Tim

03-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what a broad color spectrum of birds down there.... something special, a real treat to view...
wonder if ya held some of that fruit innards in yer hand would they be hand fed???
thanks for the post, dave m
03-04-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Huge variety all very colourful and you managed to get good focus in most shots. Well done.
Thanks eaglem - yeah some are not so focused - the trouble with being with others as they stand around patiently me for me to finish - I would have never finished could have stayed there for hours.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Beautiful colors in those birds. There are a few varieties you have missed. The LBJ or little brown job. Hard to capture one of those. There is also a variety known as the BUB or butt up birds. Usually found in lakes or rivers with their tails pointing to the sky as they dabble underwater.
Thanks Susan you have read the same bird book I have thanks for the classifications !

QuoteOriginally posted by UpNorth Quote
THose are some kind of colors Dave.
Kind of puts the sparrows, starlings & blackbirds we have up here to shame!
Tim
Thanks Tim same here the bluebirds and robins will just not cut it anymore.

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
what a broad color spectrum of birds down there.... something special, a real treat to view...
wonder if ya held some of that fruit innards in yer hand would they be hand fed???
thanks for the post, dave m
Thanks Dave it was indeed. When I looked over the ledge to see this my eyes got as big as saucers !

Last edited by daacon; 03-04-2011 at 10:16 AM.
03-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm moving to Costa Rica. End of.

Thanks for posting these gorgeous birds on here !

03-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Wow! Those are superb! I love the vivid colors, very well shot too! What settings were you using to get those bright colors, or was it post process? Excellent!
Best Regards
03-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

great shots all

makes me really regret not taking my SLR and a long lens last year when I did a habitat for humanity build in costa rica.

FYI

the birds are as follows:

Great Kiskadee (yellow breasted bird with black and white head)
Crimeon Collared Tanager (black biurd wth red head and black face)
Blue Gray Tanager (the blue bird)
black cheeked woodpecker (the only woodpecker in the photos, but you have both the male and female in one shot)
Montezuma oropendola (big bird with yellow tail and black and orange beak)
Mountain robin (thrush - robin like bird)
Masked Tanenger (in the last shot with his back to us)

one other which has green yellow and black faded together which I can't easily pick out of my mexican bird book
03-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is some assortment of colorful birds Dave and nicely shot, you're right Bigma would have come in handy. Thanks for showing us.
03-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like birders paradise over there! So many species and so many colors. Nice job catching them like this.
03-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I'm moving to Costa Rica. End of.
Thanks for posting these gorgeous birds on here !
Thanks Frogfish we are giving that some serious consideration.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Wow! Those are superb! I love the vivid colors, very well shot too! What settings were you using to get those bright colors, or was it post process? Excellent!
Best Regards
Thanks Rupert well it was a bid of both - (Lightroom III) but when you get to start with something like this ....

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
great shots all

makes me really regret not taking my SLR and a long lens last year when I did a habitat for humanity build in costa rica.

FYI

the birds are as follows:

Great Kiskadee (yellow breasted bird with black and white head)
Crimeon Collared Tanager (black biurd wth red head and black face)
Blue Gray Tanager (the blue bird)
black cheeked woodpecker (the only woodpecker in the photos, but you have both the male and female in one shot)
Montezuma oropendola (big bird with yellow tail and black and orange beak)
Mountain robin (thrush - robin like bird)
Masked Tanenger (in the last shot with his back to us)

one other which has green yellow and black faded together which I can't easily pick out of my mexican bird book
I'll bet Lowell - in this place I have some shots later on where I treked into the forest with my backpack and lost about 2 pounds of sweat ! Don't regret it now though. Thanks for the classifications you obviously have a different book than Susan and I

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
That is some assortment of colorful birds Dave and nicely shot, you're right Bigma would have come in handy. Thanks for showing us.
Thanks Heinrich the few days we went on a raod trip I sure wish I had the Bigma but these turned out ok.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Looks like birders paradise over there! So many species and so many colors. Nice job catching them like this.
Indeed it was there were groups of Bird Watches there and this was @ like 09:00 am .. thanks for the comments Remco
03-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, having fun? ;~)
03-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I'll bet Lowell - in this place I have some shots later on where I treked into the forest with my backpack and lost about 2 pounds of sweat ! Don't regret it now though. Thanks for the classifications you obviously have a different book than Susan and I
Peterson's field guide on mexican birds.

Although about 70% of mexican birds also venture into the US and Canada, there are many that stop at the texas boarder so they do not appear in any north American guide book.

Only took about 10 minutes to do, because I have seen most of these guys before. One thing I do note is that on the days in was in the jungle, I didn't see a whole lot, most of these I saw on the way to and from the "hotel" to the work site, in open fields etc.
03-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, what a colorful flock! Great captures, too. Of course, I can't identify a single one, but then I can't identify the ones in my back yard.

Jer