Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Get Me A Girlfriend!
Lens: Sigma 17-70 HSM OS Camera: K20d Photo Location: Texas 
Posted By: Rupert, 03-04-2011, 09:53 AM

I have known this old guy for ages, long before he was sent off to a nursing home. I visit him and a few other old guys fairly often, bring them a few photos, and take a few while I am there.

Picking up from my little "Lunch Buddy" of a wile back, this guys started calling me "Mr Jim", like my little Dolly did and my Model Girls still do.

On my last visit, I asked him as I always do, is there anything I can get you or do for you? He said "I could use a girlfriend, you seem to do OK with the girls, maybe you could find me one?".

Mr Charles, I aim to please!

Maybe a little variety for some "spice of life?"

Sweet dreams Mr Charles, hope you enjoyed my visit......if you even noticed me over the girls!

Just "snapper" shots, having fun and spreading a little of it around to my good friends when possible.
Best Regards!
Views: 4,328
03-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You've been of good service to this ol' fellow - well done mate.
03-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tuckered him right out !
03-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
Thanks guys, just having a little fun! I think it is in short supply in these nursing homes, but then again, you never know what goes on when the sun goes down!

Listening to these old guys is not only interesting, it is educational.......try it if you get a chance!

Best Regards!

03-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An interesting series of shots that tell a short story, Well done. If only I'm that lucky when I get to his age!!
03-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

great Pics Rupert
03-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Great shots you likely made his week
Thebold dears he went and "visited" later that day may want to thank you as well
I heard some pretty interesting tales from the nurses at the home my mom was in before she passed

03-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Excuse the typos damn phone
03-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I've heard the stories, never actually seen anything of that sort there, and damn sure I would not want to! I have a feeling that "Not Worksafe" would not be an adequate warning for an 85 year old nude woman....or man!
Best Regards!
03-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #10
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Photography bridges the generations. sparks interest. adds spice to life. Rupert fine job of making someone feel alive and appreciated.
03-05-2011, 12:47 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You did a good thing there, Rupert. My 96 year old M-i-L and her 90 year old partner (aka "the toyboy") live 11 hours away, so we can't visit very often. They were living independently until last November, but they've had to move into "assisted care".

We visited a few weeks ago and I was very concerned about her partner. The spark has gone. However, I noticed that my niece had given him a print of a photo I took of her at Christmas 2009.

It takes pride of place on his desk

This man has gone from lively to "I'll be next to die".

Anything you can do to stimulate blood flow is probably a good thing.

Richard.
03-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

A great big thank you Rupert for adding some enjoyment to the life of Mr. Charles.
03-05-2011, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
You did a good thing there, Rupert. My 96 year old M-i-L and her 90 year old partner (aka "the toyboy") live 11 hours away, so we can't visit very often. They were living independently until last November, but they've had to move into "assisted care".

We visited a few weeks ago and I was very concerned about her partner. The spark has gone. However, I noticed that my niece had given him a print of a photo I took of her at Christmas 2009.

It takes pride of place on his desk

This man has gone from lively to "I'll be next to die".

Anything you can do to stimulate blood flow is probably a good thing.

Richard.

It is a hard task to visit a Nursing Home, the depression it brings can be overwhelming....but I try to imagine how depressing it can be for some of the inhabitants. We all get old...if we are lucky/unlucky, depending on your viewpoint. We all will go through the aches and pains, medications, treatments, loss of abilities both mental and physical, and the general ravages of old age.

I visit fairly often, but not often enough, and the most disabling ailment I see in these "Holding Tanks" is the loss of memory........not the loss of memory of the ones there, but the loss of memory by friends and loved ones that these people still exist. The do exist, and they want to be remembered, to tell their stories, to share their life experiences, to feel like they still matter.

If you can make yourself do it, it is not easy, go and visit, even if you visit a stranger....they will be thrilled to see you, I guarantee. Someday, someone may do the same for you......

Best Regards!
03-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

having those pretty Texas gals visit your friend made not only his day but everyone else's better. your a nice man Rupert, now go have some hot wings.
03-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sounds good Bob! Hot Wings always hit the spot! I'm just a guy that sometimes "gets it right" but most often doesn't.
While I was there a girl was singing in the Dining Hall for the residents, She is well known in the area for having the voice of an angel, and is highly sought after at weddings and funerals as well as other musical events. I know her well, but never knew she made these visits....every week. She just does it for the people, but I suspect she is rewarded well for her consideration. Just making a life a little brighter for a day is its own reward, and I imagine she is addicted. Maybe I will get addicted too.....but not by singing! If I sang, the whole damn place would empty before I finished the first verse! Maybe I will cancel a shoot and take my girls out for a day at the Nursing Home...photos and conversation with the residents? No one gets too old to enjoy the company of a pretty young lady.

Best Regards