Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First use of Cowboy Studio Strobes
Camera: K200D 
Posted By: mtroute, 03-04-2011, 06:20 PM

My wife is a successful interior designer and I am hoping to become her full time photographer. I like my chances now that I have a proper lighting kit, I thought being married to her would be enough to get the gig but it wasn't.

All seriousness though, I like the kit but I think I may need more power is some circumstances. This one has 2 180w lights but as you can see from the last image they weren't enough to overcome the light from the large windows in the dark room.

Views: 1,973
03-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Millionth Poster!

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lighting did a fine job. rooms look great. only comment would be the washed out windows, but hey it was only the first time using the lights. keep on shooting
03-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Location: Living in Vancouver, BC, born in Melbourne Australia
Photos: Albums
Hey mate.
Good start. My only comment is some are shoot a little to wide, distorting the furniture. When shooting really wide think hard about your composition and how distortion may effect the image.

Shoot later in the day when exterior light is dimmer. You'll find it easier to balance up.
You can also get bulbs in different colour temps (ie 5200K to match daylight) if the scenes need you to balance the lighting temps.
Looking forward to seeing the next round.
Andrew
03-05-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A question: Are the lights close to you and evenly spaced behind/beside you? It seems so in all the photos. In the first three, that seems to work fine

In the last two, could you move one light farther to your right, out of the photo, but still farther away to light the more distant area of the room better?

Actually, in the last photo, you're going to have a hard time handling direct sunlight from the interior of the house and still getting everything to come out. Takes pretty powerful lights to balance direct sun. The suggestion above about trying different times of day is a good one.

Final comment is not about the light but about the contents. The first three photos are nice. In the last two, there's some "accessorizing" going on to show "use of the room," it appears. So... with that, it is easy to overdo it.

"someone was just here, using their laptop and drinking coffee at the sofa and coffee table." It's just too much stuff - seems cluttered, even though it is probably neater than real life usage. If you look at prof interior shots where they depict "someone was just sitting here" scenes, there is only one or two items to give that impression, not 3, 4, 5. So, maybe the laptop and coffee, but not the magazines, shoes and coaster stack also. Or the shoes and coffee. Two items "out of place" max.

In the last shot, there's an orange pillow and orange throw (out of place a little, it seems, as "in use") and two magazines, at least, on the ottoman. 1 magazine max - can only read one at a time. More than that seems cluttered.

Also, a door is open on the credenza, which is fine, but the combination of the door open, the two magazines, the LP on the credenza door... it seems a little cluttered - too many things going on so that you don't concentrate on the room, but the details.

This may sound like I'm a neat-freak. I'm not - I'm a slob in real life! But with interior shots, it only takes one or two "in use" items to change the scene quite a bit. More than that is "busy." Just my opinion. You don't have to listen to it.

All-in-all, i think these are great photos. Especially #2 and #3. In #1, the light from both windows and lights is washing out the color on the walls. It shows up better in #2. #4, just a bit dark at the far end, which is why I wondered if one of the lights could be shifted that direction.

Good job! And thanks for sharing them! (please don't let my nit-picks bother you - they are quality photos and practice with the lights will only improve them)

P.S. I can see why your wife is a successful interior designer. I could easily live in those rooms!

Last edited by yucatanPentax; 03-05-2011 at 02:33 AM.
03-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No advice for you, mtroute, but a compliment to your wife's skills. I love how the first room invites a conversation, a game of chess, or a little music performance. Like yucatanPentax, I could live there. If I may say, the second room might benefit from some nice hardwood flooring.