Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Vacation pics: Part I - Singapore
Posted By: dugrant153, 10-20-2007, 12:38 AM

Being new to this board, and photography, I'd like to share some of the pictures I took while I was on vacation. All images were taken with my (very much loved) K100D, mostly with the 18-55mm kit lens. Some pictures were taken with the 55-200mm DA lens.

I learned a ton about photography on this trip as I rejected a lot of images, but also got a chance to really experiment and improve my skills. That being said, the K100D is a great camera for travelling. It was light enough that it wasn't a burden, and the ability to use AA batteries was an asset. More importantly, it took really great photos!! And now, I'm totally addicted to photography!! (Is there a focus group for this sort of thing? "Hi, my name is Doug, and I bought my last DSLR a few hours ago...")

Without further adieu, here are some of my vacation pictures from Singapore! I'll post my Sydney pictures on another thread.

Note that none of these photos were photoshopped! These are straight from the awesome Pentax K100D camera

By the way, tt's probably assumed on this forum, but please do not use my images without my writen permission. Thanks!
Views: 2,223
10-20-2007, 12:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
some nice photos there mate, and I like how it shows another side to Singapore. I was expecting mostly city shots
10-20-2007, 01:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. Most of these shots were taken in the zoo or bird park in Singapore. Singapore is a very vibrant and busy/bustling city. Night life is very big there! Had to keep battling moisture as the humidity is through the roof! (compared to Canada)
10-20-2007, 04:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd agree, this is an excellent series. The tight head shot (of the bird) looks good but I think might be better flipped to a portrait shot. You've got a great 'eye' and if this is new to you then 5 years from now your efforts should be something else....

10-20-2007, 04:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Very nice vibrant colours. The world is even more beautiful thru a camera lens.
10-20-2007, 09:59 AM   #6
and
Veteran Member

looks like you got some great vacation shots to take home. the food shot makes me miss the good food in singapore. did you try the outdoor hawker markets, I love the food there
10-20-2007, 10:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yes, I did try the hawker markets. I had (but didn't post pictures of) some 'interesting' porridge, stingray, satay sticks, laksa noodles, curries, and a lot of other colorful/spicy/delicious things.

One of the pictures was of chili crab (opic #7), which was a lot of work for very little meat!! haha. Still tasty, though.

QuoteQuote:
The tight head shot (of the bird) looks good but I think might be better flipped to a portrait shot. You've got a great 'eye' and if this is new to you then 5 years from now your efforts should be something else....
Agree. That angle is a bit weird and doing a 90 degree flip would probably fix it up (on the Pelican picture).
Thanks for the comment! I started off on a cell phone camera, to be honest. haha

QuoteQuote:
Very nice vibrant colours. The world is even more beautiful thru a camera lens.
Agree. It helps that Singapore is a very vibrant city. I had my K100D set on the vibrant color curve (instead of the neutral curve).

10-20-2007, 12:38 PM   #8
Inactive Account

All of these are very good... but the colorful birds in #5 are excellent! I love how the one is sticking his head up above the rest. Very cool.

Now, about that cityscape photo.... Man, I keep going back to that. That is so very professional looking. I'd have that framed and hanging on a wall if it were mine. Very, very well done!!!
10-20-2007, 06:14 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Man the shots are beauty, nice composition and clean.Congratulation, and considering you were using the kit lens combo, the images are extremely sharp.

Cheers,

Rene R
10-21-2007, 06:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The flamingo shots are nice. The cat photo is also beautiful. Enjoy your stay in singapore
10-21-2007, 07:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Some really nice shots. I really like the shot of the city.

--
Al