Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Vacation pics: Part II - Sydney
Posted By: dugrant153, 10-20-2007, 12:52 AM

And here is the other portion of the post. These were pictures taken in and of Sydney with my Pentax K100D using kit lens 18-55mm DA and sometimes the 55-200mm DA.

I'd like to note that Sydney is an amazingly beautiful city. The colors and scenery were absolutely breathtaking.

Gotta love that kit lens!
Views: 2,280
10-20-2007, 05:01 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes the kit lens is pretty good. Again another good series. I really like that tight shot of the lobter legs(?) on ice. The ocean shots are very good but IMO the best is the ceiling shot. perfectly exposed and nicely framed. It needs to be rotated a little to 'square up the upper and lower edges if possible but otherwise, Very good.

From your previous post you don't do any PP to the shots. You might want to consider a least a little. The horizon can be an issue for some of us (including me far too often) and a program to do some basics like straighten a shot or clone out dust etc can be a huge help. Note the second last shot's horizon is tilted as are a couple of others.
10-20-2007, 07:36 AM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Very nice shots of a very nice place! How far out of Sydney is the place where you took #4, and what is it called?
10-20-2007, 08:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That place is the Blue Mountains area, located west of Sydney, about an hour and a half drive.

And that rock formation there is called the Three Sisters

10-20-2007, 08:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hope you enjoyed your holiday out here ... I take all of this for granted though.
I should get out and take some shots of the city and post them up.

Nice images though ... shot #11 of the harbour bridge is a very different angle ... not usually seen or taken by photographers.

Some great wildlife shots available up the Blue Mountains too ... also any where up the Blue Mountains in winter can get you nice eerie fog shots ... there's also a number of great walking tracks and waterfalls through this area as well.
10-20-2007, 09:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
haha... looks like I will have to go back to Sydney. Thanks for the comments!

QuoteQuote:
It needs to be rotated a little to 'square up the upper and lower edges if possible but otherwise, Very good.
Yeah, I agree with that roof shot being a little off kilter. It was a tough shot cuz I was shooting straight up and was trying to line up the side points within the frame. If I tilted it just a little bit, it would probably look a lot better.

QuoteQuote:
I really like that tight shot of the lobter legs(?) on ice.
That would be blue-green crab at the Sydney Fish Market. I pretty much just closed in on it and 'macro-ed' with the 18-55mm kit lens.

QuoteQuote:
From your previous post you don't do any PP to the shots. You might want to consider a least a little. The horizon can be an issue for some of us (including me far too often) and a program to do some basics like straighten a shot or clone out dust etc can be a huge help. Note the second last shot's horizon is tilted as are a couple of others.
Eventually I will do some post processing and am thinking of probably buying Adobe Lightroom, unless I figure out how to use the Pentax Photo lab to convert RAW pics (all pictures above were taken in JPG format, highest quality). It's in the future, but I haven't delved in there yet. Looking forward to it, though!

QuoteQuote:
That place is the Blue Mountains area, located west of Sydney, about an hour and a half drive.

And that rock formation there is called the Three Sisters
Blue Mountains was absolutely breathtaking!! The place where you can get a good view of the Blue Mountains and the Three Sisters is called 'Echo Point'. And yes, it does take about 1.5 hours from Sydney Central District.

QuoteQuote:
Hope you enjoyed your holiday out here ... I take all of this for granted though.
As I take for granted Vancouver. Sydney, as I've probably said many times, is a great city. And you folks get lots of sun too!

QuoteQuote:
also any where up the Blue Mountains in winter can get you nice eerie fog shots ... there's also a number of great walking tracks and waterfalls through this area as well.
I also heard that the Blue Mountains get really blue at around dusk. Unfortunately, as that was my last day there, I had to catch the early train to get back to Sydney Central so I couldn't see the eerie dusk mist. Would love to see the place in winter!
10-20-2007, 12:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Great set of photographs! I dont get down there much these days, but I should make the effort again for more photos. I live about 2 hours north of Sydney.
The Blue Mountains are are breathtaking. Dusk, yes, but I feel the early morning,with fogs, mists etc are brilliant for photos there too!

10-20-2007, 01:08 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Wow... what a beautiful looking place to visit! Thanks for sharing these with us!
10-20-2007, 05:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
echos my sentiments; but it just doesn't seem the same when you see it day in day out though
10-20-2007, 06:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Very nice work...beautiful, sharp and colorful shots.
10-20-2007, 06:33 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Yet another great looking contribution from you. I am really amazed with the quality of the kit lens. Your shots prove otherwise to the naysayers of the combo. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Rene R
10-20-2007, 10:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OPTMEKX& Quote
Yet another great looking contribution from you. I am really amazed with the quality of the kit lens. Your shots prove otherwise to the naysayers of the combo. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the comment!
And yeah, I'm amazed at the amazing images I was able to take with the 18-55mm lens.
In fact, all images above were taken with the DA 18-55mm except for Image #3 (the Koala). That was the DA 55-200mm.

I was actually planning on using the 55-200mm during my travels, but the scenery was so vast that I needed as much wide angle as I could, so the 18-55mm stuck on for the most part
10-21-2007, 02:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Great interpretation of this bustling city. Great use of the lens and amazed to see how it is capable producing stunning photographs
10-21-2007, 10:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
echos my sentiments; but it just doesn't seem the same when you see it day in day out though
Tell me about it ... I am in and out of there all the time delivering ... and I hate the inner-city for driving/parking ... so i try and get out of there as quick as I can.