Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Valley of the Gods
Posted By: Bob Harris, 03-05-2011, 09:12 PM

The main road through Mexican Hat (US 163) eventually joins US 191 which goes north to Monticello and Moab, but before this it passes close to the Valley of the Gods. This is a smaller scale version of Monument Valley, with tall, red, isolated sandstone mesas and cliffs standing above the valley floor. The area may be toured via a 17 mile dirt road (FR 242) that winds around the formations. This is rather steep and bumpy in parts but should be passable by normal vehicles in good weather. If you are a camper, this is BLM land and you can camp in cleared areas. Here are a few photos from the area.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio A40  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio A40  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio A40  Photo 

Views: 3,600
03-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Indeed reminds me of Capital Reef - love the red rock. Thanks for sharing.
Yes Dave, same basic process, amazing what erosion can do to sandstone. thanks Bob

03-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #17
Veteran Member

lovely shots bob +1 on #3 being a favourite. i've been wotrking on my wife for a vacation visiting a few american nature site (yosemite/Grand canyon etc, not to much effect though as she knows it will turn into a photo safari. i'm currently working on San Fran and she can stay in town while i hit Yosemite for a couple of days
03-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Makes me think a cavalry troop will show up soon.

Jer
03-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
lovely shots bob +1 on #3 being a favourite. i've been wotrking on my wife for a vacation visiting a few american nature site (yosemite/Grand canyon etc, not to much effect though as she knows it will turn into a photo safari. i'm currently working on San Fran and she can stay in town while i hit Yosemite for a couple of days
what if you purchased a camera just for her and then you could suggest different locations to break it in and give her free lessons.

03-08-2011, 06:36 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
what if you purchased a camera just for her and then you could suggest different locations to break it in and give her free lessons.

Ha, I've got 4 Digitals and 11 film cameras, one of the digitals was bought specifically for her. She rarely uses it except on vacation, and 15-20% of the shots end up being her version of ironic shots of me with a camera glued to my face lol
Long before I came along in 81 her Prior boyfriend was also a photographer
And she has a good eye for composition and knows how to use a camera, just not the desire
03-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #21

Amazing pictures... !

Thanks for sharing
03-08-2011, 06:58 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
And she has a good eye for composition and knows how to use a camera, just not the desire
Now that's just crazy talk.

Reminds me I met the opposite this summer. One of the people I guided into the park kept telling me what a great eye she had, but wouldn't learn the technical use of a camera. Her husband told her at least 5 times n the trip how much better she'd be if she took a few classes, and constantly changed camera setting for her to get the most out of a scene. Smart girl, great eye, but no desire to learn how to use a camera.

I guess it takes all types.

03-08-2011, 08:00 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I think she just leaves it to me....like the driving lol