Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Pharos - Britain's oldest standing Roman building
Posted By: jorolat, 10-20-2007, 11:01 AM

The Roman lighthouse known as the Pharos stands in the grounds of Dover's 12th Century Norman Castle, adjacent to the Saxon church of St Mary-in-Castro.

The first view is from the south (click for larger size) and shows 4 levels. The bottom 3 are Roman and the top one is a medieval addition:

Below is the view from the north. There's a small square stone at the bottom left of the center top window which is referred to in the following quote:

QuoteQuote:
The [Pharos] was repaired and cased with flint, according to Lyon, in "the year 1259, when Richard de Grey, of Codnore [alt. Codnor, Derbyshire], was Constable of the Castle; and his arms, cut in a small square stone, were placed on the north side of the tower, and are still remaining there. A barry of six, argent and azure [ie silver/white/blank and blue]."
"Comments" are welcome but I'm not so sure about "Criticisms" - I'm a newbie and these are some of my first photos with a K100D

John Latter / Jorolat

Dover Castle
Views: 2,428
10-20-2007, 11:38 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Neat shots. Without the story they may just be non descript castle pics, but the Roman element is very cool.

I like the exposures more or less. Some perspective adjustment may be useful on some, esp the 4th one.

There is tilt in the water line in the image with the ship. Again, those are tough with a 2 dimensional lens but there's usually a happy medium.
10-20-2007, 12:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jorolat Quote
"Comments" are welcome but I'm not so sure about "Criticisms" -
I've always understood the second 'C' in 'C&C' to refer to 'Critique', not 'Criticism'.

They are defined very differently in my dictionary:

Critique(n): A detailed analysis and assessment; (v) To evaluate in a detailed and analytical way.

Criticise(v): Indicate the faults of in a disapproving way.

To my mind, critique should be balanced, neutral in tone, and based on facts, even if what is being offered is an opinion based on these facts.

"Nice shot" is really no more helpful than "Terrible shot", even if it sounds nicer, if it's not accompanied with reasons why the photograph is good or bad in terms of criteria that should be stated.

All that said, I'd suggest you become as open even to criticism as you can. For it's in learning from the bad, much more than basking in praise for the good, that we really learn.
10-20-2007, 12:48 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Matt_K1000D Quote
Neat shots. Without the story they may just be non descript castle pics, but the Roman element is very cool.

I like the exposures more or less. Some perspective adjustment may be useful on some, esp the 4th one.

There is tilt in the water line in the image with the ship. Again, those are tough with a 2 dimensional lens but there's usually a happy medium.
Thank you, Matt. I'm really having a tough time with tilted photos at the moment and I've recently taken refuge in using Picasa's "Straighten" function.

At the moment I'm taking pics at the rush - "I've got an hour to spare? Right - off up the castle, then!". What I need to do is find the time to sort the tilt problem out. I'm not used to the size of the K100D and think I may be pressing the shutter too hard - or at least I hope I am, apparently there can be misalignment of a camera's 'innards' and I just hope that isn't the case else I'll have to send it back.

The 4th pic (which is supposed to be part of my signature) is a wide-angle view where I wanted to get the round tower, the keep in the background, and Palace Gate (the tower on the right) all into the same frame. I will be taking photos of each of the foregoing and hopefully the perspective will be better.

Thanks again,

John Latter

10-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
I've always understood the second 'C' in 'C&C' to refer to 'Critique', not 'Criticism'.

They are defined very differently in my dictionary:

Critique(n): A detailed analysis and assessment; (v) To evaluate in a detailed and analytical way.

Criticise(v): Indicate the faults of in a disapproving way.

To my mind, critique should be balanced, neutral in tone, and based on facts, even if what is being offered is an opinion based on these facts.

"Nice shot" is really no more helpful than "Terrible shot", even if it sounds nicer, if it's not accompanied with reasons why the photograph is good or bad in terms of criteria that should be stated.

All that said, I'd suggest you become as open even to criticism as you can. For it's in learning from the bad, much more than basking in praise for the good, that we really learn.
Well that just shows how my mind works, Chris! I saw "C&C" in another post and immediately assumed it meant criticism. It's something I'm quite used to. 'Critique' is so much better.

As I said in the first post, I'm a newbie and all the shots have been taken on "Auto" so far. A critique of any of the pics certainly could be helpful - I just hope that the info imparted would be within my 'capture range'. That is, I have a certain level of (photographic) knowledge and too technical an appraisal might leave me floundering. Perhaps that's just the way it goes

John Latter
10-20-2007, 01:15 PM   #6

Original Poster
Matt, I forgot to mention the Pharos, and the remains of its sister, the Bredenstone (shown below), were built in AD 46.

I'm not a religious person but it did fire my imagination as a youngster that the ordinary Roman soldiers who did guard duty at the Pharos might have been similarly employed in and around Jerusalem a dozen or so years earlier.

The Bredenstone:

In the 16th & 17th centuries the East (Castle) Pharos was known as "Caesar's Tower" and the West (Bredenstone) Pharos as "[Julius] Caesar's Altar".

John Latter
10-20-2007, 02:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jorolat Quote
Well that just shows how my mind works, Chris! I saw "C&C" in another post and immediately assumed it meant criticism.
It's a very common assumption.

Criticism, in itself, is worthless, and says far more about the person offering the criticism.

For example:

"I think your photographs suck, and consequently you are a person of no value".

I'd hasten to add, of course, I don't think that at all.

But the point is, that such a comment does nothing to either justify the hypothetical opinion, nor indeed, even if it's valid, help you to improve.

Here's another example:

"I think your photographs are wonderful, you must be a great person".

Sounds nicer, doesn't it? But what if the person offering the opinion turned out to be a mass-murderer, or a child-molester? I'd bet you wouldn't be quite so happy to receive their affirmation then.

The point is, neither a negative, nor a positive response from someone, in itself, is of any great value, if it's given in a vacuum.

That's why I am such a big fan of reasoned critique, and why I have so little time for criticism (either the negative sort, or the equally useless positive).
10-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
Here's another example:

"I think your photographs are wonderful, you must be a great person".

Sounds nicer, doesn't it? But what if the person offering the opinion turned out to be a mass-murderer, or a child-molester?
An example that springs to my mind - because of the impression it made at the time - is Michael Jackson fans screaming their adulation of him when he was going to Court.

Pretty scarey stuff, really!

John Latter