Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Some Gallery Rejects...
Posted By: PaulAndAPentax, 10-20-2007, 06:04 PM

Suggestions welcome...thought these would have made it...

Views: 2,143
10-20-2007, 06:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well...

It has definitely become more difficult to have photos accepted, even though there are (IMO) inferior quality shots already in the Gallery - e.g. there are shots accepted not as good as these of yours or some I've recently had rejected.

I'm all for raising the bar, but wonder if there should be some "weeding out" of existing photos that would not meet current entry criteria.
10-20-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Every time I submit a photo to the gallery I feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football. I know Lucy is going to snatch it away but I delude myself into having faith for just one more try.
10-20-2007, 07:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

They all look good to me - but the wake boarder I think "borders" (pun intented) on perfect - don't understand why that would be rejected.

10-20-2007, 08:44 PM   #5

All three shots are stunning IMHO. You have the skills that I'm trying so hard to develop.

Pat yourself on the shoulder.

Last edited by zoomzoomfan; 10-20-2007 at 08:50 PM. Reason: can't spell.
10-20-2007, 08:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PaulAndAPentax Quote
Suggestions welcome...thought these would have made it...
Well...I'll play devil's advocate. I think these are great shots...but if I were forced to critique them, I'd offer the following:

#1: The focal point, the visual weight of the photo is rather centralized. The eye is drawn to the neck feathers, not the visage of the bird which is the interesting part. Due to the angle, the neck feathers also cover part of the bird's visage which would be good to see to make a connection with the animal.

#2: Central framing of the focal point. The snake's eye is very close to the vertical centre of the frame, which I find distracting. The greens are nice, but the bright/almost blown out foreground is distracting, and the stick in front of the snake's face has 'boxed it in' and takes away from the 'freedom' of the subject. Also, some people are afraid of snakes, and even feel uncomfortable around photos of them. Some people will vote negative on gut reaction, not even considering photographic merits.

#3: Close crop. Without some context and environment, the photo doesn't have as much impact. How high has he jumped? Was it off a wake? The second shot is a little tight too. Nice bokeh, but slight lack of environment. Otherwise, I think it should have gone in.

Also, I assume you don't leave the signature on the photo when submitting to the gallery? If so, they will be rejected based on this alone...as far as I know. Check the submission guidelines.

Guess that's it. Nice shots, no doubt, but there's always room for critique if you look hard enough. I could just as easily tear apart famous photographs or my own...it's very subjective in the end.
10-21-2007, 03:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the feedback.....anyone else with thoughts is welcome to provide input...I really appreciate the keen eyes of others as I know sometimes (we) are always quick to think some of our shots are 'perfect' when they may just be 'great' for us!

I agree that the gallery seems to be getting more difficult. Of the shots I put here, I was most shocked that the kite surfer was declined...

FYI, they were not declined due to signature, these are the flickr versions that I mark before upload...

I see the issue of focal point being centered....something I need to work on. I have this thing about liking centered and symmetrical things but I need to let that go!

Anyway, I really appreciate the commentary....I continue to learn a lot from everyone's honest critique.

10-21-2007, 04:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Three very good shots, they should all be in the gallery. The kite surfer may be a tad under, but a fantastic shot nevertheless.
10-21-2007, 05:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I voted for these!

Hi!

I specifically remember voting for the snake, because I HATE snakes but this picture was actually quite nice. The eye and the scales were so sharp.
10-21-2007, 05:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Yes!

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
It has definitely become more difficult to have photos accepted, even though there are (IMO) inferior quality shots already in the Gallery - e.g. there are shots accepted not as good as these of yours or some I've recently had rejected.

I'm all for raising the bar, but wonder if there should be some "weeding out" of existing photos that would not meet current entry criteria.
Some of the ones that were accepted already are quite puzzling. Have you sent that suggestion as feedback? You have accepted photos so they might listen to you. I figured if I sent that feedback it would come across as sour grapes. LOL!
10-21-2007, 06:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

They are beautiful shots, Paul (hope that is your name ...)

It is always easy to criticise others work. But I could come up a few grudges.

1st shot: I love it. Maybe just not the cup of tea for reviewers

2nd shot, the foreground blurr distracting (not that I dislike it)

3rd shot, shadow on the face. (almost impossible to get a shot without shadow in these types of sports photos)

But again, my last 17 shots were all rejected as well. Giving it up now. Just concentrating on taking tutorials for various shoots
10-21-2007, 11:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Roentarre for the feedback!

I redeveloped the kite surfer and wonder if it is better or worse. I like stuff darker, so I tend to not notice underexposure...any ideas on which looks better and why? Thanks for the help!

10-21-2007, 04:03 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Paul, I like things darker too - I'd prefer just a tad more contrast on your latest develop of the water skier. But then again my monitor is crap, it could look fine everywhere else. LOL.

Other than that, those are some gorgeous shots. The bird is stunning, and the snake is just rocking.
I'm in the same boat as roentarre, my last 15-20 photos have all been rejected, so I'm losing interest fast. I've got some there and I can use it as a kind of reference. It's all subjective anyhow.
10-21-2007, 04:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello Paul
At times it can be frustrating, but by my experience, that's photography. It's all in the eye of the beholder, and appreciation varies widely from viewer to viewer. Leaves you shaking your head at times.
## See my post under General Talk thread, regarding rejections.
A bit perplexing to say the least.

Hang in there and all the best with your efforts.