Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Trains - (no planes or automobiles) - Part I
Lens: DA* 16-50 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Costa Rica 
Posted By: daacon, 03-09-2011, 10:10 AM

We left Arenal and started to head back to Playa Potrero. Our most excellent guides knew of this resturant (apparrently Costa Rica's only revolving resturant although this was unconfirmed) on the way back. So here we go with part 1 of this trip.

My Brother In Law (the driver) getting a little rest from all the driving. In this area (and almost all areas we saw) the roads are very narrow and here in particular very curvey and hilly with lots of blind corners (oh and no shoulders). Just to add to the fun he drives a full size chevy 4x4 crew cab truck (most cars are about a Corolla size at the biggest). Finally around lots of corners you will find pedestrians merrily walking on the road , dogs , cats, chickens , cows, whatever - we even saw one dad pushing a stroller down the hill giving the baby a ride on the road !!! on the freaking highway !! So that explains the stressfull driving and the much needed rest.

To get to ths resturant part of the expereince is a train ride! Here is the birght shinny new train we all thought we were going to board.

Here is the rickety run down , somewhat uncomforatble train we actaully took ha!

Our conductor smiling for the camera ...

to be continued ...............
Views: 2,370
03-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dave, any train ride is a good train ride. Bob
03-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ok, I would have increased my life insurance if I had to ride on those and I thijnk my wife would have watched from outside hoping the insurance would pay out. JIM
03-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool photos and story Dave. I really like that second photo. The roads are pretty sketchy in CR. I remember taking a shuttle from the airport to the car rental place and being scared for my life, and that was before we got to the curvy mountain roads you described. Sure is worth it though isn't it?

03-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Dave, any train ride is a good train ride. Bob
Thanks Bob - you know one of the best times I had travelling as a young lad was on a Train from Nova Scotia to Ontario - good times.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Ok, I would have increased my life insurance if I had to ride on those and I thijnk my wife would have watched from outside hoping the insurance would pay out. JIM
ha ! You have been watching too much law and order !

QuoteOriginally posted by BlueBubbleBoy Quote
Cool photos and story Dave. I really like that second photo. The roads are pretty sketchy in CR. I remember taking a shuttle from the airport to the car rental place and being scared for my life, and that was before we got to the curvy mountain roads you described. Sure is worth it though isn't it?
I hear that Barry - we arrived a night (even my Brother in law will not drive the highyways at night if he can avoid it). They lived about an hour from the airport so they arranged a shuttle bus to pick us up and yeah I was freaking at the constant bright light flickering, the pedistrians to avoid , the people wearing dark clothing riding bikes with no reflectors !!! It was worth it to me , I did no driving for two weeks !
03-10-2011, 04:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I can picture you as the train driver Dave very official looking Hat TFS

cheers
03-10-2011, 06:24 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
I can picture you as the train driver Dave very official looking Hat TFS
cheers
I know ! He played the part well his English was way better than my Spanglish that is for sure.
03-10-2011, 07:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Great photo story Dave. That engine on the first train is really weird. Not sure I would want to ride in either. Hope dinner was worth it.

03-10-2011, 08:16 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like you're on the right track () - nice shots. Now I'm on to Trains part II.

Jer
03-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Great photo story Dave. That engine on the first train is really weird. Not sure I would want to ride in either. Hope dinner was worth it.
haha it was ok looked worse that it actually road and it was only over that bridge in part II where we felt any danger - Overall yeah it was worth it (the view alone is worth it)

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Looks like you're on the right track () - nice shots. Now I'm on to Trains part II.
Jer
Thanks for comming along Jer.