Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
More Football - The Important Game!
Posted By: carpents, 10-21-2007, 08:55 AM

That whole West Chester shoot was just practice - last night was time to put it in action for something important; namely, my 11-year-old's final game of the season! The lighting was dimmer, but the action was slower, and my what action there was!

(All taken with the Tamron 300/2.8, roughly 1/100th on a monopod, ISO 500ish. Images are click-able for larger versions.)

The Captain's Huddle - Ben is #50...

Prowling at halftime...

The other team was marching in the second half...but Ben splits the offensive line...

...and gets the sack!!

The game ended in a 6-6 tie. Ben's team recovered a fumble as the other team was marching towards the end, but then proceeded to fumble the ball right back to cement the stalemate. Nonetheless it was a fun game, and Ben played great despite being one of the smallest kids on the field. Just wait until he hits his growth spurt!
Views: 3,537
10-21-2007, 09:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Great game! Tamron 300mm f2.8 is a good lens (tried it out in cash converter in melbourne CBD) Did they allow you to carry that to shoot photos during the game? It would be rather gigantic!

He did appear a bit vulnerable in these photos...

Regards

James
10-21-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Way to go Ben!!

Sean, he's got a lot of heart sticking himself in there like that. Nice captures.
10-21-2007, 12:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Great game! Tamron 300mm f2.8 is a good lens (tried it out in cash converter in melbourne CBD) Did they allow you to carry that to shoot photos during the game? It would be rather gigantic!

He did appear a bit vulnerable in these photos...

Regards

James
Thanks James, the Tamron is pretty darn good. Yeah, I got some funny comments ("look at the size of it!" etc.)

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Way to go Ben!!

Sean, he's got a lot of heart sticking himself in there like that. Nice captures.
You're absolutely right. I was really proud of him, more so because over the last 5 games he just got better and better. I think in the beginning he sort of gave up because the other kids were generally so much bigger, but then the first time he got in a really good hit he realized that it's not always just size...

Thanks for the comment, I'll let Ben know!

10-21-2007, 12:37 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Great series Dad. Looks like Ben's finding his stride. QB sack at any level is a great accomplishment and even more so, as you said, that he's smaller than many on the field. Of course it's those smaller, quicker guys that surprise you and are right there when you least expect it.

For all the great shots you take over the years, these will be some of the ones that will proudly sit on your desk as the others come and go. Well done!!
10-21-2007, 01:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Sounds like a great game, Sean. It's lots of fun watching the kids play. Glad you got some good pictures to boot. And pass on my congratulations to Ben for the sack!

-Mark
10-21-2007, 01:20 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Great shots Sean. I think both you and Ben had fun. (and thats the name of the game at his age) Tell him we're proud of the way he stuck it to the other guy. I know how hard it is to sit on he side lines and watch, I did the same with my two boys. You did a great shoot and I know there are a lot of memories in those shots.

10-21-2007, 02:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
For all the great shots you take over the years, these will be some of the ones that will proudly sit on your desk as the others come and go. Well done!!
No question, Peter! You are 100% correct!

QuoteOriginally posted by SWEngineer Quote
Sounds like a great game, Sean. It's lots of fun watching the kids play. Glad you got some good pictures to boot. And pass on my congratulations to Ben for the sack!
Thanks Mark, I absolutely will.

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
I know how hard it is to sit on he side lines and watch, I did the same with my two boys.
I learned pretty quick last year (Ben's first in football) that it was best to watch and enjoy it. There was one play in particular where Ben was caught not paying attention and the coach pulled him out for a play. I went over and said "C'mon Ben - pay attention!" Then his stepfather came over and told him to pay attention. Then (the worst!) I heard his mother yelling at him from the sidelines...
I realized that we all had better shut up or there was no way he was going to make it! The poor kid didn't need 4 coaches!!

Luckily we all realized it and it never happened again! That's the sort of stuff they don't teach you in the handbook.

And now I have two seasons of incredible moments that I get to keep forever.
10-21-2007, 04:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Great shots. You should blow one up poster size for his room so he can relive the glory days year-round.
10-22-2007, 06:34 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Nice shots! Who says you need a big white lens hanging off of an XT to get good shots?