Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Nice day yesterday - Took a few shots! (8 pics)
Posted By: Buschmaster, 10-21-2007, 10:50 AM

So here are some shots from the courtyard between our dorms here at school.

No editing really done yet besides cropping a couple, feel free to give me some C&C!

As always, click the image for the larger size!

Here it is cropped:

Views: 2,077
10-24-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nobody?

Anything you guys could help me with to possibly make me better?
10-24-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
Inactive Account

great photos! The first too the background its too distracting, and I'd probably used fill flash on the bird (if I was close enough)
The squirrel pictures are snap on dead center, try to move around, and use the rule of 3rds a bit more. Also watch for lines (see the branch in your 4th squirrel picture? Leads the eyes out of the picture) The last squirrel picture, the bush its groing out of his head! Always watch the background (trees, poles, chimeys, etc) I like the colors in your last picture, but I'd like to see a bit more of detail.
Exposure looks ok, the same with shutter speed. Hope I wasn't too harsh with my critique.

Gus
10-24-2007, 08:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice photos Buschmaster,

I just wanted to remind you of the rule of thirds.

I like to put everything right in the center as well, but the photographs don't always look right that way.

Keeping that in mind your one squirrel should look something like this.

Other than that the exposure is perfect and everything.

10-24-2007, 08:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much for the help!

I'll go and take pictures again soon and keep all of these things in mind! I noticed the centering on my pictures as well, some of it is due to cropping, but mostly I just need to work harder on composition.

Edit: I like that one better, thanks little laker!
10-24-2007, 08:51 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I can recommend you a couple of books that help me out during my Dinfos days. The first one its Photography by London and Upton, and Photography The guide to technique by Hawkings and Avons.

Gus
10-25-2007, 07:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Beautiful shots. Really like the settings inclusive in the photos. I would not change anything else
10-25-2007, 07:54 AM   #8
Syb
Veteran Member

Image no 6 proofs that you know how to do it, the composition thing. The tail in the front-left corner, the branch pointing out of the back-right corner. The squirrel in between, however not yet half way. Well done, nice shot.

The other squirrel shots could have been a little closer. That should have made it more powerful. The question is always: does this element contribute to the message I want to convey or does it disturb that message?

I sometimes find that there are things in my photographs that I did not at all notice when I took the shot. Those things can be distracting or contributing.

The art is to see those things when you have the camera at hand, and are taking the picture. Then it's best possible to compose.

My $0,03 worth

10-25-2007, 08:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I agree about the rule of thirds (as long as it doesn't become a slavish rule... hey... rules are made to be broken as long as you know they exist ). Anyway, I enjoyed looking at your shots, particularly the first shot and the sixth shot (although his tail was cut off a bit). Well done.
10-26-2007, 11:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe I'll go out this weekend and try and take some of your guys hints and see what I can get pictures of.

I'm LOVING my new lens so there will probably be a lot of pictures taken with that lens.