Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Theatre Photos - Night Letters
Posted By: pop4, 03-12-2011, 05:07 PM

A few weeks ago, I was asked by a theatre group to take a few production photos for their production, Night Letters. They originally wanted me to take photos at one of their rehearsals, but had some production issues which meant they had to reschedule me to shooting during a live production, with audience members present, and I was very grateful for the quiet shutters of the cameras I was using, a K-7 and K-5, and also the HSM of one of the lenses I was using.

I used the K-7 with the Sigma 70-200/2.8 and the K-5 with the Pentax-FA 35mm/2.0, and the lighting conditions meant that I was shooting at ISO3200 the entire shoot. I didn't have any issues with the K-7 in terms of AF accuracy, but the K-5 was front focusing, and in the end, I had to switch to using manual focus with that camera. Also, after using both cameras side by side, I realised that the the K-5 shutter sound is actually a fair bit quieter than the K-7, which is something I hadn't really noticed previously.

Views: 1,911
03-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
very nice series, quite crisp and clear, just like I was in the front row. thanks for sharing. Bob
03-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nicely portrayed and a fine series on all counts James.
Did well mate.
03-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have done a few of those back when the kids were thesbians - and know the challenges - these are very good.

03-13-2011, 05:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
very nice series, quite crisp and clear, just like I was in the front row. thanks for sharing. Bob
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Nicely portrayed and a fine series on all counts James.
Did well mate.
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I have done a few of those back when the kids were thesbians - and know the challenges - these are very good.
Thanks for looking guys, and I'm glad you enjoyed them.

[sarcasm]I myself am quite surprised at how the photos turned out, considering I was shooting with the K-7 which is terrible in hi-ISO situations, I mean, even the K-x is better at hi-ISO than the K-7, while I probably should've chucked the front focusing K-5 in the bin once I saw the low light conditions that I would be shooting in...[/sarcasm]
03-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Super shots . lighting look tough but you did a great job. I get to shoot my son's play this coming Friday from the front row. the lighting at his school is much better as I shoot with my K10d and the 55-300 lens.
03-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #7
JMR
Veteran Member

A fine series. I especially like the 8th image. The lighting enhances the drama and vice versa.

JMR