Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Coati or Coatimundi
Lens: DA* 50-135 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Costa Rica 
Posted By: daacon, 03-13-2011, 08:01 AM

A few shots of one of the locals in Arenal Observatory - aside from Monkeys, and of course a plethora of birds and iguanas this was the only other 'wildlife' we saw.

The first few he was hanging around the bird feeders looking for some scraps methinks.

Views: 2,602
03-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really envy you your trip. It is time to post some pictures of what you had to go home to.
03-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was wondering how much wildlife you were able to see and I would imagine for survival sakes, most of the wildlife stays hidden in the forest. That guy is sure cute, sort of a scavenger I would assume. thanks Bob
03-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Very neat looking critter... a burrower judging by his snout... love the photos, thanks so much for posting!

03-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
I really envy you your trip. It is time to post some pictures of what you had to go home to.
Thanks Susan - heck no (well maybe next weekend) - the day we got back was not bad at all (above freezing) but we landed about 350km from home. Since then it has been brutally cold - a winter for the record books for cold temperatures and snow. Added to working to make up for time lost - does not add up to many photo opps. Hope to break the trend next weekend with a trip out to Elk Island Park.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I was wondering how much wildlife you were able to see and I would imagine for survival sakes, most of the wildlife stays hidden in the forest. That guy is sure cute, sort of a scavenger I would assume. thanks Bob
Thanks Bob - yeah we did see alot that is for sure - on the coast we were more in a 'town' (really a village by our standards) and it was so hot during the day they hid, in the rain forest I heard a few things in the bush but it's so thick you need a good clearing or be right on top of them.

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Very neat looking critter... a burrower judging by his snout... love the photos, thanks so much for posting!
Thanks tessfully - member of the racoon family I beleive, I thibk Bob is right more of a scavenger.
03-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I had one as a more-or-less pet for one summer when I was a kid. He and his leash would always be tangled up in the fig tree when I got home from school. He eventually got mange and was humanely killed :-(
03-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #7
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

An interesting looking creature. the things that show up in your backyard on vacation

03-13-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Man, you're coming up with animals, birds and plants I've never heard of. I think we're all getting a good biology lesson from the results of your travels. Are you perhaps Daacon Darwin?

Jer
03-14-2011, 06:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I had one as a more-or-less pet for one summer when I was a kid. He and his leash would always be tangled up in the fig tree when I got home from school. He eventually got mange and was humanely killed :-(
Cool I'll bet they were pretty good pets until the mange thing

QuoteOriginally posted by Scottnorwo Quote
An interesting looking creature. the things that show up in your backyard on vacation
Thanks Scott not quite the backyard where I saw him, but I'll bet like the movie The Great Outdoors they can be popular around the garbage cans.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Man, you're coming up with animals, birds and plants I've never heard of. I think we're all getting a good biology lesson from the results of your travels. Are you perhaps Daacon Darwin?
Jer
ha ! Yeah exactly except my book with the sceintific classification of "yellow brested , green tailed, bird of many colors" never did get published Now there were occasions in my life where I may have done things that almost quailified me for the Darwin Awards , but I survivied
03-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

one of my favorite animals as a kid.... you've really been able to see/shoot an amazing variety of flora and fauna dave..... really enjoyed this series... dave m
03-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
one of my favorite animals as a kid.... you've really been able to see/shoot an amazing variety of flora and fauna dave..... really enjoyed this series... dave m
Thanks Dave yes we saw quite a bit in a relatively short time. I have taken many trips on this forum glad I could reciprocate.