Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Finally some water and color... together
Posted By: SCGushue, 10-22-2007, 08:37 PM

There has not been much rain in our part of Pennsylvania this summer and most of the creeks have dried up and the color has been late arriving this fall in the mountains as the weather has been unseasonably warm through today. And time has not been readily available to do much personal photography. The falls are about 50 feet wide with a twenty plus foot drop.

But this is one effort.

This image was taken Saturday near my home after some heavy rains on Friday.

Taken with a K10D, DA 12-24 (or the DA*16-50...I'll have to check my notes) with a Hoya ND400 (9 f-stops) neutral density filter. The image is an HDR of 7 images.

Stephen

Attached Images

Views: 1,567
10-22-2007, 08:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a great shot Stephen. I couldn't tell it was an HDR and the winds must have been calm as there appears to be very little movement in the leaves. Why 7 shots and not the typical 3?
10-22-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice ! Same question as Peter !
10-22-2007, 10:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
It's a great shot Stephen. I couldn't tell it was an HDR and the winds must have been calm as there appears to be very little movement in the leaves. Why 7 shots and not the typical 3?
Peter (and dantuyhoa),

Thanks. Strangely enough it was rather windy as a cool front was pushing through and it was quite cloudy too with a few breaks of sunlight and blue sky. But within the gorge and hemlocks the wind was somewhat subdued.

Most of the images taken that day were about 10-30 seconds (I was having fun with about 12 new Hoya ND filters I had just bought) and the mild movement in the images doesn't bother me in this type of shot.

Why seven? Well, the more images that you thrown into the pot... up to about nine in total, the better dynamic range you can get out of the image. I tried it with three but I couldn't put any punch into the image. Sometimes I use the auto bracket on the K10D but I find that 5 images doesn't really allow me to get the realistic look I want on most HDR shots. On the CS2 HDR range scale (if that is what it is) this image showed roughly 11 or 12 ranges versus the 6-8 I usually get with 3-5 images.

But, I am not practiced in HDR and have never delved too deeply into it, but I really do like it's potential... both artistically and realistically. Someone more skilled than I might well have been able to knock this off with less images.

I am however, working hard at trying to perfect my panorama skills. And it is a struggle at times I made a 24 (8X3) image of this fall on the same day using the 31 ltd. But it is a struggle to get the dynamic range out of the single exposure images in a high dynamic range setting like this.

Thanks

Stephen

10-22-2007, 10:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

wait so you took 9 nine shot in normal shot mode and just adjusted the ev each time right?
10-23-2007, 04:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Pete,

When I do an HDR I simply bracket (I always shoot manually) with the shutter speed. In this case I bracketed seven seperate images and went (shutter speed-wise) normal, 1, 2, 3 stops over and 1, 2, 3 stops under...then merged to HDR and spent a little time adjusting the image to what it loooks like now.

If you just adjust EV's through the camera the f-stop changes never appear to be precisely 1 stop intervals. Sometimes they are .75 to 1.5 stops which kinda' defeats the exercise

Stephen
10-23-2007, 08:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Stephen, that is a lot of commitment for a single image! The kind of post processing requires a few weeks to perfect for sure!

The cascade like waterfall is beautiful with great rendering of colour. I hope this lens used is Da* 16-50. Then I am very much re-assured!!

I will try out 9 images HDR when I go to one of the local waterfalls here. See if it would produce a good outcome.

Thanks for sharing this
10-23-2007, 09:28 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Stephen, that is a lot of commitment for a single image! The kind of post processing requires a few weeks to perfect for sure!

The cascade like waterfall is beautiful with great rendering of colour. I hope this lens used is Da* 16-50. Then I am very much re-assured!!

I will try out 9 images HDR when I go to one of the local waterfalls here. See if it would produce a good outcome.

Thanks for sharing this
James,

Thanks for the comments. The PM I sent the other day actually had two images with the DA*16-50 as a straight shot. It did quite well. I could see them on one of my computers but not on my laptop. Don't know what the failure to see the images was.

Commitment? Well, some. The problem with doing waterfalls right is more complex than one might imagine. The dynamic range in this one is very deep shadows (that you need to bring detail out in) and very hot and overexposed areas of sunlight (that you have to tone down) that need to meld. On top of all that you have to have the water stay as bright as possible without clipping the highlights and yet render the midtones to open up detail too and not cripple both with contrast adjustments. This particular image took about 40 minutes to finish off. The real problem was the wasted time trying to do it with just a single frame and one with 3 images. The results with those images were not nearly as acceptable.

In your environments HDR would really be useful. It truly can be a PITA at times and burns up boat loads of memory but it can render an image incapable of rendering in a single shutter click. Pentax will produce the 645 (sooner, rather than later ) and that will be a blast to use in the field doing this sort of stuff.

Stephen

10-24-2007, 03:45 PM   #9
Syb
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
. Pentax will produce the 645 (sooner, rather than later ) and that will be a blast to use in the field doing this sort of stuff.
I am afraid my computer will not be able to manage nine frames for HDR when shot with a 645... however, thanks for sharing this. What I like about it is the natural feel. Often HDR pics look "overdone" -- no offense to anyone. This is like the eye could see it too. Somehow I like that as a standard.