Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Paper Lantern
Posted By: Mike Cash, 10-23-2007, 05:11 AM

Pentax Gallery dropped this submission like a hot rock. Normally they sit on my stuff for two weeks before declining stuff, which makes me feel dejected. Here lately they have declined some in just a couple of days, which makes me feel paranoid. But at least they're consistent; they reject everything.

Traditional paper lantern outside a Tokyo restaurant. This particular one is a ramen shop.

S-M-C Takumar 105/2.8
Views: 1,787
10-23-2007, 05:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes Mike they are declining them in about 3 days now. My first patch took almost 3 weeks to get shot down in flames and the second batch took 2 days. I'd like to at least see the number of pro/con votes. "Declined" sorta sounds like 'sucks'. For me 11 submitted and 2 approved.

As for your shot above I like it. the soft warm light is great. The only thing that was a minus was the rail running up the right side. It doesn't add much to the shot and is something of a distraction. I don't know if there's enough room to crop that out of if that would even work. Just my 2 cents...
10-23-2007, 05:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
It wasn't so much their rejecting that particular picture as it was the fact that considering their previous glacial pace the sting is a little greater when unceremoniously dumped in just a fraction of the time.

I think I'm about three for thirty or some such miserable ratio for acceptance. I'm giving thought to asking them to cancel my account so I'll be forced to stop wasting my time even trying over there.
10-23-2007, 06:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mike,

Hey, don't worry, it seems everything is getting rejected at the Pentax Photo Gallery. I recently submitted, under their new "voting" methodology, five images. Three of them were catagory winners, either in one of the various Pentax forums and/or juried exhibits of other professional photographers. One was accepted and it was the least technically correct of the batch.... just "purdy" to look at.

It seems, that if you show stuff on the forums (a lot) there is some recognition and images get accepted even if they are "technically" flawed and compositionally weak.

In the end I don't know what the criteria is or how an image is accepted. But it seems to me from my many conversations with many other Pentax users that some people just reject images out of hand if they don't like the genre of an image. If they don't do macro and don't like macro....your gone! If they don't like city candids... your gone! If they don't like landscapes (because we all know that all landscape images are "no brainers"... right!?!) . If they don't like building shots... your gone. Flowers???... your gone... because it's a no brainer to do flowers correctly... right??? . And it seems to go down the list.

When I vote, I try to look at each image in detail. I always enlarge the image and look for certain criteria that I used to judge and critique those that I have taught in the past. I look first at;

Sharpness. Is the image focused properly? If yes...one big point. Without sharpness (unless intended for effect) the image is unacceptable and gone.

Composition. Is it pleasing or chaotic...if chaotic was this the intent? If so one point.

Post production. Is it over the top (oversharpened, oversaturated, poorly color corrected if so then a big, -), or does it enhance the image and balance the colors nicely (big +)

Content. Even if I don't like an image personally I try to look into what the the photographer was trying to do. I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

On B&W submissions. Contrast must be properly handled and judged as I would have judged a students hand made print.

All in all, I don't judge submissions based upon professional criteria. There simply are not that many professionals making a living with Pentax compared with the novice and just photography enthusiasts who want to share and exhibit their work. If it is clean and unencumbered by excess negatives I feel that they should have an opportunity to display their work. After all, isn't that what Pentax intended for this forum?

Some submissions cleary don't make the grade but voters might need to broaden their criteria and understandings of the complexities of other genres of photography that they themselves do not partake in or enjoy but do not deserve an out of hand rejection.

There are a number of subject matter images I personally do not really like, but when I factor in composition execution and technical merit the image will get my support and acceptance any way.

Then again, there are all the hidden things that Pentax may be doing to reject images too. Clearly they never say diddly why they put the hook on an image

Stephen

Last edited by SCGushue; 10-23-2007 at 10:39 AM.
10-25-2007, 04:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I'm giving thought to asking them to cancel my account so I'll be forced to stop wasting my time even trying over there.
Well another batch of ten shot down. I think I'll get them to delete the gallery as well. I like my shooting style for the most part and although I know I need work in many areas (this is a lifelong learning experience after all) I find the 'judging' disconcerting. Particularly since some of the shots I had shot down are better than many that are approved. If the shot sucks give me some reason or indication what to do to improve. Even a standard form with a few choices, like 1)subject in center 2)over/underexposed 3) out of focus etc.

I suspect Stephen is right and people are voting on the thumbnails in some cases to run through them fast. I didn't realize you can do that and that shouldn't be an option. I try to judge the way he does and I've noticed some improvement in the quality lately. At first it seemed like 1-2 out of 10 where good. Now it seems 3-4/10 get a thumbs up.

I'm not saying Boo-hoo me, it's just that this offers no opportunity to improve and see what others think. A yes or no tells me almost nothing to improve or what others are seeing.
10-25-2007, 06:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I also can't help but think there has been a bit of a "shifting goalposts" in effect. By that I mean that I suspect that if many of my rejected images had been submitted in the earliest days of the Gallery they probably would have been approved, just because they were probably more eager to amass some content. Now that they have it; they've moved the goalposts over into the next county.
10-25-2007, 07:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I like the atmosphere engendered from the shot.

PPG is not too keen into atmosphere or artistic look... A good shot here regardless