Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Portrait, one of my better ones I think
Posted By: devisor, 10-23-2007, 12:23 PM

this is one of my better picture yes I'm happy with it.

1 285hv, in softbox front of camera
1 285hv, in umbrella camera left, behind modell
1 285hv, in umbrella as low hair light.

1 285hv. camera right in softbox
1 285hv, in small softbox camera left front of model, think this one did not fire..
1 285hv, in 1/16power.. as hair light

c&c welcome
Views: 2,127
10-23-2007, 12:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I love the first one to no ends. The pose is wonderful, I love the lighting, and the chair is just perfect for this type of shooting. You definitely nailed that lighting and your PP is spot on and her skin is perfect.

The second image I also like but you did the exact same thing I find myself doing and thats getting the person realy close to the bottom of the frame, almost too close. The pose is great again and the lighting is great.

Tremendous work and thank you for sharing.
10-23-2007, 01:48 PM   #3
Syb
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The first one is really great. The red chair makes the picture much warmer, it's like the woman's skin is warmer, too. Isn't it a rule that one should (could) emphasize in the decor one color that is striking in the face? For example blue if you want to stress the color of the eyes (if they are blue, of course), or red if you want to emphasize the red lips? However, the setup looks simple (a chair and a girl; spectators forget about all softbox and other studio-blabla, so they think it's simple. If they do, you did a good job), the fact that she wears a black dress is well chosen.

It's the kind of shot that is SO beautiful that I would only show this one. That's your quality full stop.
10-23-2007, 03:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The first one is about as good as it gets. No hot spots, nice even light with a nice level of backlight. As others have said the skin tone is spot on and that's helped by the chair colour. Simply excellent!

I like the second one but the dark dress and hair blends into the background a little too much. More back lighting would have helped. Plus all the dark colours make her skin look a bit too pale.

10-23-2007, 04:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Agree with above #1 is great. That expression is priceless as well. good work
10-23-2007, 04:27 PM   #6
Inactive Account

love the first shot!

The first shot is great! The highlights on her hair, and arms, and the slightly sideways glance, make her stand out. The skin tones look natural.

The model's pose (leaning forward) shows and creates interest. The red chair and dark blue/black background work to add depth.

The second shot, while nice, (and with a good facial pose from the model), would have worked better with more contrast between model and background.
10-24-2007, 02:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you for your comments..

I agree.. the seccond one should have a rim light. But that flash did not fire

She is willing to pose again, so I'll try that setup. and hope my budget triggers will work.
10-24-2007, 09:23 AM   #8
Inactive Account

A very nice, well-controlled use of lighting! The first is also my pick of the lot.

10-24-2007, 09:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I love the first shot

Did you do that in a parking garage? I just noticed the white line

Very well done
10-24-2007, 03:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gaelen Quote
I love the first shot

Did you do that in a parking garage? I just noticed the white line

Very well done
Yes, this was done in a parking garage .. have to use location like that, when I don't have a studio.
10-24-2007, 05:32 PM   #11
Inactive Account

As you've heard from many others, the first one is just brilliant - awesome technique.
10-24-2007, 06:38 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Have to agree with every else - #1 is stunning. - and as was said before - #2 would be great if there was a little separation between the dress and the background.
10-27-2007, 04:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you..

I'll try my luck with these two also

this one I like the best of the two.
10-27-2007, 04:28 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Red, at least this red is not her best colour. Her skin looks too pink and looses that glow, that you captured so well in the first shot, at least in this light. She also doesn't look happy being photographed for some reason.
The black dress shot here is better but still needs more backlight around the upper body/hairlight. It looks like the strobe/flash is directly above and needs to be a bit more behind her. Her right shoulder is lost.
10-27-2007, 04:39 AM   #15
and
Veteran Member

The two new pictures:
The pose in the first one is a bit awkward, maybe u can bring a small stool next time, giving someone a bit extra support helps them feel less tense and that makes them look more natural.

curios about your softbox, which one do you use and how do you mount your strobe to it. I have looked into this a bit myself and I find that using a normal softbox is prolly not going to give me what I want. putting a sto fen on the flash inside the softbox will prolly help but thats 3 layers of diffusion eating away the light.

my conclusion was that the closest thing was the wescott apollo mono, which I have been contemplating to order