Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Super moon over General Electric facility
Lens: DA 55-300 Camera: k20d Photo Location: Saugus River ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: charliezap, 03-20-2011, 06:51 AM

[IMG][/IMG]
I went down to the river to take a shot of the rising moon around 7:30 PM but stupid me forgot that the tripod wasn't in the trunk and was at home keeping vigil in the back room.It was very cold (upper 20's) and my fingers felt numb after a short while.I hand held the camera for this shot by propping the camera against a fence for about 1 sec.The original shot kind of sucked but I gave it a different look by using the K20's illustration mode filter that made this particular image a bit surreal thereby making my efforts somewhat presentable.Maybe by the time of the next "super moon" rolls around I should have my act all together.---charliezap
Views: 2,615
03-20-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's a very cool shot. Not your ordinary moon. Love the "horror story" clouds.
03-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kammerer Quote
That's a very cool shot. Not your ordinary moon. Love the "horror story" clouds.
Thanks for the compliment.The night wasn't very conducive and comfortable for taking shots.I couldn't wait to get out of there and warm up.--charliezap
03-20-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Charlie, that turned out really cool, great PP, you will have to print this one and hang it at the shop. Better yet, put a price tag on it and sell copies to fund your retirement.

03-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Charlie, that turned out really cool, great PP, you will have to print this one and hang it at the shop. Better yet, put a price tag on it and sell copies to fund your retirement.
Thanks Bob--one thing that I noticed in the shot is if you look at the bottom a little left of center and a little up you will notice the reflection of the moon that was on the lens.---charliezap
03-20-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It fits in so well, I thought it was part of the machinery, fooled me.
03-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey, Capn - this is very nice . . . . . a great - and different - look at the super moon. Well done, my friend.

Jer
03-21-2011, 06:17 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hey, Capn - this is very nice . . . . . a great - and different - look at the super moon. Well done, my friend.

Jer
Thanks Jer. I took several that night but it was much too cold to be fussy about getting it perfect and my cell phone kept on ringing with my wife saying "get back here".We were over at a friend's house and I ducked out for 45 minutes to grab a few shots.The hot coffee and Bailey's tasted good when I returned.--capn zap

03-21-2011, 06:39 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice one charliezap, totally surreal!!
03-21-2011, 08:54 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Nice one charliezap, totally surreal!!
Thanks Em.The GE facility will be there and there is always a full moon every month so that means I should have future opportunities to nail it.--charliezap
03-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

reminds me of vintage postcards, early 20th century.. vivid colors, almost had a hand tinted quality..... creative composition charlie..... dave m
03-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
reminds me of vintage postcards, early 20th century.. vivid colors, almost had a hand tinted quality..... creative composition charlie..... dave m
Thanks Dave--I emailed that picture to the powers that be in my area of General Electric Lynn and when i arrived at work today it was on all the 50" Samsung communication monitors that abound.---charliezap
03-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #13
Pentaxian

There is something about the shot that draws you in. Interesting processing Charlie. Really like it. JIM
03-21-2011, 03:37 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
There is something about the shot that draws you in. Interesting processing Charlie. Really like it. JIM
Thanks Jim.The original wasn't too sharp.The K20d did the "illustration effect" and all that I did in PP was contrast-brightness overall and some selective brightness on the structures that were in shadow.--charliezap