Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Double Exposures
Lens: DA15&DA70 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Summer Palace, Beijing 
Posted By: kevinschoenmakers, 03-20-2011, 08:22 AM

Yesterday I went along with the photography club of my university, which for me turned into an experiment with double exposures. You can do these in-camera with the K-5 (and probably other cameras too). Try it sometime, it's a very, very cool feature.

More on my website.

Views: 4,425
03-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
thanks for the shots, very nicely done and another reason to buy the K-5, thanks Bob
03-30-2011, 02:53 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Nice shots! I'll have to try some multiple exposures with the K7!
03-30-2011, 05:54 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting - nicely conceived and executed, in my view. Back in my film days, I did a few double exposures, but I never got what I wanted. Looks like you're better at it than I was!

Jer

03-31-2011, 05:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

your 2nd shot is beautifully composed ...... dave m
......like the others too, except for the canon....
03-31-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
thanks for the shots, very nicely done and another reason to buy the K-5, thanks Bob
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Nice shots! I'll have to try some multiple exposures with the K7!
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Interesting - nicely conceived and executed, in my view. Back in my film days, I did a few double exposures, but I never got what I wanted. Looks like you're better at it than I was!

Jer
Thanks everyone

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
your 2nd shot is beautifully composed ...... dave m
......like the others too, except for the canon....
A lot of people have Nikon and Canon in China - though, there were a few people with Pentax in the group, and I even got to try the 31ltd
04-01-2011, 05:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The second one is great..i love the texture achieved with the double exposure.

04-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

This is really cool. Most of these type features seem to only be available for jpegs so I don't pay any attention to them, but from a quick perusal of the manual, this one appears to be available in RAW. Is that correct?

Last edited by DogLover; 04-01-2011 at 11:50 AM.
04-01-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Is that correct?
Yes it is
04-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Yes it is
Cool, thanks.
04-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #11

Nicely done! Love #3.
04-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

This is really cool. Most of these type features seem to only be available for jpegs so I don't pay any attention to them, but from a quick perusal of the manual, this one appears to be available in RAW. Is that correct?
Just be aware that multiple-exposure in RAW will give uncorrectable purple color shift to your images in Aperture and LightRoom (Adobe Camera RAW).

See the recent thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/137365-...ng-pentax.html

Both Adobe and Pentax are aware of the issues.
Only workaround for now is to either use; PENTAX Digital Camera Utility (and do not do any color temperature adjustments), and export as JPEG or TIFF, or to use something like Bibble or DCRAW which for some reason can handle the RAW files with multiple exposure.
Although JPEG also can show color shifting if color temperature is adjusted in some programs... e.g. in Pentax's own Digital Camera Utility.

Anyway, it is REALLY cool that the K5 can now take each exposure of the multiple-exposure in rapid succession THEN process the final image. This gives a lot more creative control... where in the past the K7 and prior would process each image as it was taken and you had to sit and wait between each shot.

As of the K5, I finally feel this feature is something I might start using more often....
Just need to follow some stricter rules when using RAW.
04-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Just be aware that multiple-exposure in RAW will give uncorrectable purple color shift to your images in Aperture and LightRoom (Adobe Camera RAW).

See the recent thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/137365-...ng-pentax.html

Both Adobe and Pentax are aware of the issues.
Only workaround for now is to either use; PENTAX Digital Camera Utility (and do not do any color temperature adjustments), and export as JPEG or TIFF, or to use something like Bibble or DCRAW which for some reason can handle the RAW files with multiple exposure.
Although JPEG also can show color shifting if color temperature is adjusted in some programs... e.g. in Pentax's own Digital Camera Utility.

Anyway, it is REALLY cool that the K5 can now take each exposure of the multiple-exposure in rapid succession THEN process the final image. This gives a lot more creative control... where in the past the K7 and prior would process each image as it was taken and you had to sit and wait between each shot.

As of the K5, I finally feel this feature is something I might start using more often....
Just need to follow some stricter rules when using RAW.
Good info. Thanks. I assume if you just intend to create B&W's that this is not as much of an issue? Or does it make even those look funky?
04-02-2011, 04:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Good info. Thanks. I assume if you just intend to create B&W's that this is not as much of an issue? Or does it make even those look funky?
That was my final approach to one image was to convert to B&W.
I think if you have a desire to accentuate certain colors, such as to imitate a red filter, the purple cast might have some minor affect. But I don't think it will be that bad.

The only bad affect is that with long exposures (at least I have not seen with short exposures), the final multiple exposure composite may have streaks and a defined grid pattern on the image which is extremely difficult if not impossible to remove.

Sadly, although Pentax Digital Camera Utility can handle the color of such an image, the streaking is burned into the image and is a permanent side effect of the multiple-exposure.

All I can say is if you find this feature useful, you may want to contact Pentax and let them know that now with the K5 this feature is usable but noticeably broken.
They know about it, but obviously it is not high on their priority list... lost of other more important and widely used features to get done. :-) :-)
As they say, this problem has existed in all of the Pentax DSLRs with Multiple-Exposure capability back to the *istD.

This should be a somewhat gray image of water flowing around a rock and a tree top (water is about 15 feet higher than normal).
Instead it is rather purple with bright horizontal streaks. This was made with 9 exposures of about three seconds each.

And Close Up near the lower left corner you can see the grid pattern emerge:

The final B&W image is on Flicker, below. I did a bit of PS work to reduce some of the streaking, but its still not an award winner. :-)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amoringello/5541602770/in/set-72157626303647618

Last edited by amoringello; 04-02-2011 at 04:24 AM.
04-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
That was my final approach to one image was to convert to B&W.
I think if you have a desire to accentuate certain colors, such as to imitate a red filter, the purple cast might have some minor affect. But I don't think it will be that bad.

The only bad affect is that with long exposures (at least I have not seen with short exposures), the final multiple exposure composite may have streaks and a defined grid pattern on the image which is extremely difficult if not impossible to remove.

Sadly, although Pentax Digital Camera Utility can handle the color of such an image, the streaking is burned into the image and is a permanent side effect of the multiple-exposure.

All I can say is if you find this feature useful, you may want to contact Pentax and let them know that now with the K5 this feature is usable but noticeably broken.
They know about it, but obviously it is not high on their priority list... lost of other more important and widely used features to get done. :-) :-)
As they say, this problem has existed in all of the Pentax DSLRs with Multiple-Exposure capability back to the *istD.

This should be a somewhat gray image of water flowing around a rock and a tree top (water is about 15 feet higher than normal).
Instead it is rather purple with bright horizontal streaks. This was made with 9 exposures of about three seconds each.

And Close Up near the lower left corner you can see the grid pattern emerge:

The final B&W image is on Flicker, below. I did a bit of PS work to reduce some of the streaking, but its still not an award winner. :-)
amp_2.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Well, I think you did pretty well with what you had. These artifacts are definitely weird and annoying. I guess it would take some practice to learn what the thresholds of these things are. I think I could be content just sticking to B&W's, though.