Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Out with the DA40; Out with the FA50/1.7.....
Lens: FA43 Camera: K-x 
Posted By: jaieger, 03-20-2011, 01:23 PM

In with the FA43 Best of both worlds!

I took a walk around a nearby lake yesterday to run my newly-arrived FA43 through its paces. It took my breath away (though I'm apprehensive about it being placebo effect ) in ways the DA40 never did.

First of all, the FA43 was curious about something....

What's a flare ? (Though to be fair it did show up on some shots now and then, as with the DA40. But pretty impressive nonetheless). I love the way it rendered the sky here.

What I do love is that the 8 aperture blades makes for a much more natural looking starburst - 18-pronged suns with the DA40 was a bit too much for me.

The bokeh's a bit busy here but there were so many brambles and such I wouldn't be surprised if a 600mm f1.0 produced a busy blur as well.

I've always been fond of this type of flare, pretty cool if you can use it well/in a controlled manner, imo. Of course, this one here was an accident

And of course, when stopped down, it's quite ridiculously sharp.

Again, awesome rendering and bokeh here...

Maybe it's just me, but images from the FA43 really lend themselves to be processed in an idyllic, summery way.

This one surprised me and ended up being one of my favorites, if not the favorite of the day. Wide open, and sharp where it's in focus (2nd closest seat). Great pop to it viewed at large sizes, and to be honest I think the busy bokeh helps here - it's busy, but busy in a "real" sense - our eyes aren't great for bokeh (and here I'm speculating) but I mean, evolutionarily speaking, it'd be better to have detailed (and thus not smooth) background blur to better make out predators or whatever the hell. That's what wide-open FA43 bokeh looks like to me - realistically busy that gives it a super smooth transition.

A great lens for textures and shapes - even when 2 degrees celcius causes a bit of handshake to mar the picture when pixelpeeping

Autofocus is noticeably slower than the DA40, but not so slow that decisive moments will be missed.

Again, I love the 3D rendering of the FA43 here - on my monitor, the rolling hills and mountains are alive with texture. 2 shot pano.

I also took my first starstreaks photo last night (which didn't quite work since it was still slightly light, but isn't too horrible for my first try. About 20 minutes long exposure).

This was with the DA15 though:

Views: 2,855
03-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Glad you are loving your 43mm ltd, I know its makes you wonder why they don't just make camera bodies with this lens permanently attached
03-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Glad you are loving your 43mm ltd, I know its makes you wonder why they don't just make camera bodies with this lens permanently attached
Thanks Chex! I know right, something along the lines of the fuji camera coming out with this thing stuck to it would be pretty damn attractive
03-21-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Where in Canada are you at Jaieger? Your pics of the mountains and the lake remind me of Horshoe bay area around Salmon Arm BC.

03-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
(Geographically) Close, these were shot from Burnaby Mountain right by the SFU campus there (: though I've done some stuff by horseshoe bay too, well at whytecliff park (close enough though)
03-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I see, not too familiar with SFU area of Van. After high school I went east to Calgary.. it seems our town almost splits.. 1/3 goto Van, 1/3 Calgary and 1/3 stays after high school. My wife is on a trip down the coast right now, hopefully returning with some nice shots from Squamish, Campbell River & Duncan... let alone what she can find on the way (providing the kids are behaving).
03-21-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mmm, that sounds pretty similar to what we've got here, though for us it's either UBC/SFU or somewhere in Ontario. Love to see shots from there when she gets back!

03-22-2011, 03:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

To me the 43 Ltd is a better '50' than a 50 is. It's a very useful FL and a wonderful lense that often gets overlooked by the 31 but not by all ... it made one review's Top 10 lenses of all time (including Contax, Leica etc.), though the 77 Ltd was higher. I'm not sure that's true or if I'm just reinforcing my buying decisions but it's nice to hear !

This is a recent shot of my wife taken at the dinner table on a night out with friends :-

43 Ltd. f2.2 / 1/60 / ISO 1600 - ambient light (overhead lights).

03-22-2011, 03:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice set! The swing set is my fav. Glad your enjoying your new 43 I adore mine.
Its a killer lens wide open (or stopped down). It too is my most used lens.
03-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
To me the 43 Ltd is a better '50' than a 50 is. It's a very useful FL and a wonderful lense that often gets overlooked by the 31 but not by all ... it made one review's Top 10 lenses of all time (including Contax, Leica etc.), though the 77 Ltd was higher. I'm not sure that's true or if I'm just reinforcing my buying decisions but it's nice to hear !

This is a recent shot of my wife taken at the dinner table on a night out with friends :-

43 Ltd. f2.2 / 1/60 / ISO 1600 - ambient light (overhead lights).
And, especially on APS-C, the impractical (for general use, imo) 50 (--->75) becomes a more manageable/versatile 64mm. Did it really ? I'd be interested in seeing that reveiw if you still have it, I love stuff that encourages my purchase choices
Nice shot!
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Nice set! The swing set is my fav. Glad your enjoying your new 43 I adore mine.
Its a killer lens wide open (or stopped down). It too is my most used lens.
Thanks TOUGEFC! I love your shots from your FA limiteds, some of your shots were pretty helpful in sealing the deal on getting this lens.
03-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I really love this photo.. The 43 is an awesome lens.. I rented a few weeks back for a few days and just enjoyed it... Thank you for sharing!

03-23-2011, 11:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
Thanks TOUGEFC! I love your shots from your FA limiteds, some of your shots were pretty helpful in sealing the deal on getting this lens.
Haha no worries, glad it helped Added you on flickr too by the way
03-24-2011, 04:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
And, especially on APS-C, the impractical (for general use, imo) 50 (--->75) becomes a more manageable/versatile 64mm. Did it really ? I'd be interested in seeing that reveiw if you still have it, I love stuff that encourages my purchase choices
Nice shot!
Here it is, originally from Popular Photography March 2002 : -

sm-02-05-02
03-25-2011, 01:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EdwardConde Quote
I really love this photo.. The 43 is an awesome lens.. I rented a few weeks back for a few days and just enjoyed it... Thank you for sharing!
Thanks Edward! Renting this thing just prolongs the inevitable...

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Haha no worries, glad it helped Added you on flickr too by the way
Accepted! I apologize if flickr sends out notifications for my uploads or whatever, because I just so happened to pick today to upgrade to a pro account and upload everything to it

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Here it is, originally from Popular Photography March 2002 : -

sm-02-05-02
Ah, this one I've read before. Pretty awesome stuff to reread and ego stroke too though