Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Help! The honour of the Pentaxian community is at stake! (13 images, sorry!)
Posted By: Mandi, 10-23-2007, 09:50 PM

Hi all

I have signed up for an "advanced" photographic evening course at my local Community College. However, "advanced" started with explaining what aperture is - although we haven't got on to the really technical stuff like f/stops yet!! So I'm VERY glad I didn't sign up for the beginners' course.

Naturally mine is the only Pentax in the room, with the instructor trying kindly to help me when clearly he's never handled a K10D before. Everyone else looks out sympathetically from behind their Canons and Nikons, obviously feeling I'm a poor loser who couldn't afford to get a "decent" camera. So the first week's homework just HAS to knock their socks off, and for that I need your help!

The first part of the assignment was: "A photo of a boat in the water, or a water scene, be creative show some background to show the location of the boat. " Now I'm not much interested in boats, I'm afraid, (PLEASE don't tell that to the other 5 million Sydneysiders or I'll be ostracised forever!) and nor do I have access to a cool harbour with fishing nets or gnarled old sailors or something else picturesque, so I've interpreted the "be creative" part very widely and decided I'd concentrate on boats for ants in my pond in my garden. My current "final selection" is below. I would really appreciate whatever comments and criticism anyone would care to give me - tell me which ones to dump altogether, which ones to work on a bit further, and what you think I should do to blow those Canon and Nikon guys out of the water!

But before you look at them I must pay tribute to Tom Lusk who posted this https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/13550-red-maple.html?highlight=leaf photo of a leaf in water and who inspired this train of thought. Thanks, Tom - I hope you don't feel I've stolen your idea, but I was in dire need of a good one! We're in spring right now, but luckily Australian trees lose their leaves all year round so I could find a red one to take advantage of Pentax's lovely reds. The flower is a little native Australian violet.

Violet 1:

Violet 2:

Violet 3:

Violet 4:

Violet 5:

Violet 6:

Violet 7:

Violet 8:

Leaf 1:

Leaf 2:

Leaf 3:

Leaf 4:

Leaf 5:

PS on a separate thread, I'll put the other half of the assignment once I've taken some images... being sport, it's even MORE out of my interest-range!!!

Thanks very much for looking... PLEASE leave C&C!!
Views: 1,647
10-23-2007, 10:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love your Violet and leaf pictures Mandi

Would you like to cheat a little

I know that you can take fine pictures when you have the opportunity, so I'd be willing to e-mail you 1 of my favorite boat pictures to use.

I know that it isn't fair, but it's fun to see those Conots jaws drop.
Especially when you tell them it was taken with the kit lens, which it really was taken with
this is the image I was thinking of

Last edited by little laker; 10-23-2007 at 10:28 PM.
10-23-2007, 10:39 PM   #3

Original Poster
What a kind offer, Stu! I wouldn't have the hide to claim it as mine, (apart from moral scruples, it is so obviously NOT Sydney-in-October that I'd be as transparent as the water if I did try to claim ownership!!) but I'd certainly like to take it along and show them what Pentax can do! So thanks for your offer, which I will gratefully accept... I'll let you know what they have to say sometime next week...

Now I'd better get on with the "sport" assignment... sigh.
10-24-2007, 02:51 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Violet 6, and leaf 4, 5 are the better ones to my eyes. The others, you’re not sure exactly what your looking at, as there is little to no hint that your subjects are floating on water. To me, the knowledge that there is water acts as an anchor to the image, and also comforts the viewer with background details.

As for cheating...you don't need me to say this..but don't.

10-24-2007, 03:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Here's an opinion. It's nothing more than that. Feel free to completely ignore it!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Mandi Quote
So the first week's homework just HAS to knock their socks off
It doesn't have to do anything of the sort.

If you're going on a photography course, there should be no objective other than to learn.

If you go in there feeling a pressure to impress the other participants, you won't learn as much.

Photography with a Pentax camera should not be about feeling a need to correct some perceived inferiority in others' eyes.

If the course is any good, and you get the right things out of it, your photographs will speak for themselves.

Just my $0.02, as they say.
10-24-2007, 03:27 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for your response, Chako - it's such a help to have someone else look at images you've looked at yourself all day! I see exactly what you mean.

As as regards cheating, don't worry! ;-) as I said above, even if the moral scruples didn't get in the way I could never, ever claim all those lovely soft mists had ever existed in Australia!!! But I am very pleased to have the opportunity to show off the work of a photographer like Stu - the other people at my class are clearly all of the opinion that there really are only two camera manufacturers and I feel obliged to show them it just ain't so!!! :-D
10-24-2007, 03:33 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
Here's an opinion. It's nothing more than that. Feel free to completely ignore it!!

It doesn't have to do anything of the sort.

If you're going on a photography course, there should be no objective other than to learn.

If you go in there feeling a pressure to impress the other participants, you won't learn as much.

Photography with a Pentax camera should not be about feeling a need to correct some perceived inferiority in others' eyes.

If the course is any good, and you get the right things out of it, your photographs will speak for themselves.

Just my $0.02, as they say.
Quite true, Chris, except that the first session I was made to feel so inferior because I had this weirdo, who's-ever-heard-of-THAT?, do-they-still-make-THAT? equipment!!! I know that I SHOULD be able to ignore it, but I can't - and I'm looking at it as an incentive to really try VERY hard because it's not just me whose work is going to be on show, as far as the rest of students are concerned, it's Pentax. If it was just me and a Canon or Nikon producing second-rate stuff, it would just be me being a lousy photographer. If it's "the Pentax lady" then it'll be because Pentax is crummy, and weren't we all clever to listen to the wise salesman who said there were only two manufacturers?

10-24-2007, 03:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chako Quote
Violet 6, and leaf 4, 5 are the better ones to my eyes. The others, you’re not sure exactly what your looking at, as there is little to no hint that your subjects are floating on water. To me, the knowledge that there is water acts as an anchor to the image, and also comforts the viewer with background details.

I totally agree with all of Chako's comments. One of these 3 work best. Leaf 4 might be best. Are you allowed to do any PP? or is it straight from the card only? If you can PP a little add some sharpening but not too much.

And keep it real. If anyone figured it out then you will look far worse than your own best efforts. The point of the class is to learn anyway and if you come out of it a better photographer without impressing anyone that's fine. But I'm sure we'll always help to be your 'secret weapon' with lots of advice along the way.
10-24-2007, 04:15 AM   #9

image 5 or leaf 4 but my main comment would be to listen to the instructions. You were asked to show the background... and here are so many pictures with no background.

BTW I Love the idea of the leaves acting as boats for ants... but thre arent any ants that I see. I think you will do fine with the equipment... stop worrying about trying to impress anyone the more you try to please the calss the more you will fail in my opinion. To make photos work, you must please yourself.
10-24-2007, 04:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mandi Quote
If it was just me and a Canon or Nikon producing second-rate stuff, it would just be me being a lousy photographer. If it's "the Pentax lady" then it'll be because Pentax is crummy
Well then, no pressure at all. If you suck, it's not your fault.

Seriously, if the other 'students' are going to give you such a hard time then maybe it's the wrong place for you to be at the moment.

Just as a contrast, a few things come to mind:

- I'm thinking of joining a local camera club, and I've been to two meetings to see what they're like. Chatting with several of them after the meetings, not even a single one of them asked me what camera I used.

- I know a pro portrait photographer, he's excellent, I've seen his work. He uses Nikon. I told him mine was a K10D. His reaction? "Excellent camera".

- I know a very good semi-pro photog that does a lot of dance events, and he's very good too. He uses Canon. I told him mine was a K10D. His reaction? "Excellent camera".

Bottom line: not everyone is like the people on your course. If they're going to be ar54holes and inhibit your learning, I'd suggest you go somewhere else.
10-24-2007, 04:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Mandi, if this makes you feel better...

Here's a link to the Nature Photography class I am teaching tomorrow night, and leading a field trip on Saturday:

Classes
(Edit - disclaimer: I didn't write up the class description!)

EVERYONE, except one other person, shoots Canon, some Nikon. That other person? He shoots Konica-Minolta/Sony equipment.

You have some very nice images, and previous posters have covered the bases. Tom's image is simple yet beautiful. Like several others have stated, it's the person, not the camera that makes the difference. Of course, I shoot Pentax, so what do I know...

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 10-24-2007 at 05:23 AM.
10-24-2007, 04:31 AM   #12
Syb
Veteran Member

Hi Mandy,

I am afraid that your beautiful ants' boat photographs will miss half the assignment:

QuoteQuote:
"A photo of a boat in the water, or a water scene, be creative show some background to show the location of the boat. "
I see no location at all. Unless you intend not only to show the superiorness of your Pentax-camera but also to show your disagreement (guarantee for more frustrated looks of fellow-pupils), it may be wise to shoot those leaves wit a bit more grass or other background.

Good luck! You should know that I like your interpretation of the assignment! Where are the ants for the mini-vessel?

On this site: The Rotterdam in Rotterdam I posted pictures I made when the cruise ship Rotterdam visited the city of Rotterdam (Netherlands). Good luck!
10-24-2007, 12:18 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
Well then, no pressure at all. If you suck, it's not your fault.

Seriously, if the other 'students' are going to give you such a hard time then maybe it's the wrong place for you to be at the moment.

Just as a contrast, a few things come to mind:

- I'm thinking of joining a local camera club, and I've been to two meetings to see what they're like. Chatting with several of them after the meetings, not even a single one of them asked me what camera I used.

- I know a pro portrait photographer, he's excellent, I've seen his work. He uses Nikon. I told him mine was a K10D. His reaction? "Excellent camera".

- I know a very good semi-pro photog that does a lot of dance events, and he's very good too. He uses Canon. I told him mine was a K10D. His reaction? "Excellent camera".

Bottom line: not everyone is like the people on your course. If they're going to be ar54holes and inhibit your learning, I'd suggest you go somewhere else.
Eh, the other side of this coin is that some of us are just plain competetive people! If you're enjoying yourself, and find the "competition" or "challenge", if you will, of producing excellent work, so be it. Have a blast!
10-24-2007, 02:16 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chako Quote

My picks are the same as Chako's and I think leaf #4 best meets the guidelines of your assignment.