Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Possum in the can
Posted By: Nesster, 10-24-2007, 06:17 AM

This is the second time I've caught this possum trapped in a garbage can.

This morning in the dark I was taking out the garbage... So I consolidate from one to another by dumping it, it seemed heavy but I thought nothing of it. But then when I put my hand on the rim to start moving the second can, I feel fur! warm fur! I got a scare!

I run inside to get the flash light. See it's a possum, alive. (It could have been a dead animal of some sort, I think I like the idea of a live one better)

I run inside to get the camera.

Later I use gardening gloves and put the lid on the trash can to cart it out to the curb. I figure the possum can easily hop out, he's right near the top now, and make his escape, before the garbage truck comes.

---

By the way these are some of the first photos with the 43mm ltd - using flash obviously.

The darker image is in Program mode, f1.9, pop up flash at -1EV. Balances the flash light.
The brighter image is in aperture priority, f8, pop up flas as above.

I also took a 2 second shot with just the flashlight.

Apart from the opportunity to test out the new lens I was encouraged by how it autofocused with just a flashlight beam, in otherwise near complete darkness.

Attached Images

Views: 2,452
10-24-2007, 08:21 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
That is a pretty funny story. I think you should have been a good neighbor and offered to trim his toe nails.
10-24-2007, 08:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I"m surprised he never bit you! Geeze! Great capture.
10-24-2007, 09:50 AM   #4
Syb
Veteran Member

Never saw an animal like this. Thanks for sharing! (I so far hesitate to publish pics of my dustbins... this is a nice occasion to do so!)

10-24-2007, 08:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The possum is a nasty, mean-spirited, little animal with razor-sharp teeth, effective claws, and often diseases. Years ago, while visiting the southern USA, we had several living under our house. We used baited traps to catch and relocate them well away from us. That was not easy since these guys, when the traps were opened, would just as likely try to attack as run away.

stewart
10-25-2007, 01:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yep, don't ever try to touch a possum; your accident left you lucky this time, Nesster. Those long claws are like needles, and being good climbers possums are much more powerful than they look. The destruction the brushtail species has caused in New Zealand where they are an introduced animal is tragic in its magnitude.

That fur absolutely jumps out of the photo in the first shot, Nesster! Ah, the 43 mm Ltd....
10-25-2007, 05:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, nice fur - horrible animals.

You're right Steve, the only good possum here is a dead one.

10-26-2007, 07:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, yea, I was lucky, no bite. I think he was playing possum due to my dumping him from one can into another.