Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Florida Surfing Action
Lens: Sigma 150-500mm Camera: K20D Photo Location: Stuart, Florida ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: tpeace, 03-22-2011, 05:42 PM

We had a day of big waves yesterday so I headed out to one of the local surfing spots to catch the action. Here's a few I was able to get...

Regards,
-tom
Views: 2,033
03-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots, especially like 3, the water color is beautiful, thanks Bob
03-23-2011, 03:22 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes good sharp series of shots, I like them all.
03-23-2011, 03:47 AM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Cool action shots.
Would do well in the themed Beach & Surf thread in the Mini-Challenges section.

03-23-2011, 06:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian

You take such good action photos, Tom. Great series. I'm envious of the warm!
03-23-2011, 06:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Great surf series! I really like 1 and 3 the best. I've never surfed Stuart. When I lived in Florida I surfed mainly in the Cocoa and Satellite Beach areas.
03-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
Grew up surfing all over the east coast of Florida, I am sadly land locked these days. Nice pics! I gotta ask, did the guy in picture 1 land it?
03-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #8
Forum Member

the second one is great! dude is riding a tiny board!!! also spent some serious time surfing in florida for my college years. it always cracks me up the difference in peoples tolerances to what they consider cold water. case and point, three surfers: two skinning it, and one guy rocking the short sleeve full. what was the water temp?

03-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Yep #2 for me too - I think you should be shooting with a slightly faster shutter speed though.
03-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wehavenowaves! Quote
it always cracks me up the difference in peoples tolerances to what they consider cold water. case and point, three surfers: two skinning it, and one guy rocking the short sleeve full. what was the water temp?
Just a tick over 70 degrees. I'm able to swim now although there's still a bit of shock when I first get in.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Cool action shots.
Would do well in the themed Beach & Surf thread in the Mini-Challenges section.
Thanks Ash, I'll look for it.

QuoteOriginally posted by BlueBubbleBoy Quote
When I lived in Florida I surfed mainly in the Cocoa and Satellite Beach areas.
Those are still popular surfing areas, along with Sebastian Inlet. I like the way waves set up along the Space Coast. These photos are from an spot known by the locals as "The Rocks". From what I can tell they tend to have the largest waves of any place along the Florida coast. By the rocks are shallow and I've seen some riders come out of the water with some very nasty gashes.

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Yep #2 for me too - I think you should be shooting with a slightly faster shutter speed though.

Anything over 1/750ths and I'm happy. I often shoot with the ISO at 200 which gives a faster shutter speed. But I don't like the grain when its overcast or cloudy so I try to use 100 whenever I can get away with it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Scottie137 Quote
I gotta ask, did the guy in picture 1 land it?
Yes. He's one of the better locals here. I always make sure to keep the camera pointed his way when he's in the water. Here's the next shot in the sequence...

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
You take such good action photos, Tom. Great series. I'm envious of the warm!

Thanks Tamia! You'll have to come down sometime to get out of the cold. You'd love all the water scenes down here We've got around here. I'll lend you my underwater casing if you want to try that!

regards-
-tom
03-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tpeace Quote
Those are still popular surfing areas, along with Sebastian Inlet. I like the way waves set up along the Space Coast. These photos are from an spot known by the locals as "The Rocks". From what I can tell they tend to have the largest waves of any place along the Florida coast. By the rocks are shallow and I've seen some riders come out of the water with some very nasty gashes.
I'll actually be down there in June for a conference in Orlando. I'll probably stay an extra couple of days and head to the beach. I'm really hoping to take some surf photos (never had the opportunity) and do some surfing myself, although I know I'll be hard pressed to find waves in FL in the middle of the summer. I'm by no means someone to follow with a camera while I surf (there's a reason I have an IT job and not surfing ) but it sure is a ton of fun. Thanks for posting these photos. Keep them coming!

Last edited by BlueBubbleBoy; 03-24-2011 at 09:01 AM.
03-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tpeace Quote
Thanks Tamia! You'll have to come down sometime to get out of the cold. You'd love all the water scenes down here We've got around here. I'll lend you my underwater casing if you want to try that!
I might take you up on that, Tom! Surf, warmth, and rocks... Sounds great to me.