Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Mississippi River at Sunrise
Lens: Sigma 18-50 w/ Fisheye Extension Camera: K10D Photo Location: St. Cloud, MN ISO: 800 
Posted By: ccrookston, 03-24-2011, 02:42 PM

Saturday January 22, 2011

I woke up before sunrise and with two of my photography buddies headed down to the river with grand plans of shooting the sunrise. It was a good, hearty -15 F, and at that temperature things like fingers, tripods and camera batteries don't fully cooperate. Just before the sun breached the tree tops and seconds after this photo was taken, the batteries in my camera and in Steve's both died. Although fully charged the night before, they were unable to withstand the bitter cold.

I'd still like to get a winter shot of the sun rising over the river, but it will have to wait. I don't care for -15 any more than my camera battery does. With all further photography plans for the day defeated by the weather, the three of us headed to Caribou and nursed hot drinks while thawing out.

This is an HDR image created from three exposures at -1.5, 0 and +1.5. I used both Photoshop and Photomatix.
Views: 2,253
03-25-2011, 06:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have seen the sunrise in just these conditions. The colours, the mist, the reflections. Great capture of the animal tracks too. WOW! This really is a nice image, and I do love the processing using the HDR. Living where I live I understand the problem with batteries loosing their charge and fingers freezing. It is a challenging time to take photos but I think you were rewarded with this gem. Thanks for posting!!
03-25-2011, 07:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pretty scene, but the colors seem a little bit cool to me. Great image regardless.
03-25-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Lovely shot - really is. However I too would like to see it a touch brighter.

Batteries : that is a surprise to hear (how old are the batteries ?) as guys on other forums are using them at -30 and below with no problems (lasting longer than they can in the cold) ! I know Pentax only say something like -10 but I've not heard of them packing in so quickly before.

03-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Tess: "Great capture of the animal tracks too"

That was tricky. If I processed the image one way, I kept the details in the sky and trees, but lost the tracks and texture in the snow. If I kept the details in the tracks and snow, then I lost details in the sky and trees. I ended up processing it both ways in two different files and then splicing the two together along the river and at the base of the tree line.

str8talk83: "the colors seem a little bit cool to me"

Yes, they are. I played around with this for literally hours trying to get everything just right, and finally concluded there was no "just right". If you feel like doing some color adjusting on this, I'd love to see what you can come up with!!!

Frog: "I too would like to see it a touch brighter"

I don't know how to make it brighter without washing out details in the sky, trees, water and snow!! If you can show me how, I'd love to see it. :-)
03-25-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ccrookston Quote
Frog: "I too would like to see it a touch brighter"

I don't know how to make it brighter without washing out details in the sky, trees, water and snow!! If you can show me how, I'd love to see it. :-)
I've had a go. I think it is now brighter and there are now more details. The sky is more saturated (I had to use the Blur tool so some details were lost - this would not be necessary if I was using the original of course) and the snow has been cleared up (colour cast removed and details - footprints, river & trees - are now more visible). YMMV !

The original is on the top and the new version on the bottom.
Attached Images

03-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Interesting, and thank you! I wish we could sit down next to each other with the original so you could show me what you've done. I still have so much to learn about Photoshop. I will try and replicate what you've done. But in the mean time, can you point me in the right direction? What effects/filters/tools did you play with?

03-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ccrookston Quote
Interesting, and thank you! I wish we could sit down next to each other with the original so you could show me what you've done. I still have so much to learn about Photoshop. I will try and replicate what you've done. But in the mean time, can you point me in the right direction? What effects/filters/tools did you play with?
CC - I'm afraid I use a MAC and I do my editing in Aperture 3.

I do remember that the main tool I used was Curves - PS also has this of course, I also used the Shadow recovery tool (14.14 / 100), NR (1.0 out of 2.0 with 1.5 edge detail out of 3.0) and from what I can see that is about all. Not a lot really and it only took 5 mins so once you get to grips with PS you shouldn't have any problem recovering detail at all.
03-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is another outstanding image, I usually do not like HDR but this one is well done indeed. I am surprised with your battery problem, I have had mine out for a long time at -15 C and never even used the spare in my pocket.
03-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
That is another outstanding image, I usually do not like HDR but this one is well done indeed.
Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
I am surprised with your battery problem, I have had mine out for a long time at -15 C and never even used the spare in my pocket.
I'm going to have to look into this. If it was just me I would have thought maybe my battery was not fully charged. But my friend, who was using a Nikon, also lost battery power at almost the exact same time I did. Who knows, maybe it was colder than -15? That was mostly a guess on my part.
03-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Tricky working with a small file, but here's a quick edit.

Corrected color balance (less blue)

increased exposure on foreground

some saturation adjustments on the sky

03-29-2011, 11:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
Tricky working with a small file, but here's a quick edit.

Corrected color balance (less blue)

increased exposure on foreground

some saturation adjustments on the sky
This is a tough one I'l admit .... but the tops of all the trees are now bright orange !
03-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well... you have both given me good ideas. I will play around with the original and see what I can do. I'll re-post when I've had a chance.

Thanks!
03-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
This is a tough one I'l admit .... but the tops of all the trees are now bright orange !
I noticed that as well. I should have done a lot more masking and selective editing, but I was being lazy...