Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Military thru the Ages
Lens: FA 77mm Camera: K200D Photo Location: Jamestown, Va ISO: 200 Aperture: F8 
Posted By: cdurfor, 03-25-2011, 07:14 PM

Once a year Jamestown Settle hosts a collection of reenactors that spans the centuries from Vikings to Vietnam.. Forgoing the Nazi's here are some Middle Age folk...

and a Native American spirit

P.S. Love that FA77mm -- thanks Mid-Atlantic Pentax folks!
Views: 2,583
03-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great photos, we love going to festivals like this, went to a few when we have visited Virginia. That chainmail must be heavy, is the wooden statue Pocahontas? I remember you saying you volunteer there, did you participate, thanks for the view. Bob
03-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Nice series. like the first shot best
03-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cool series!
Great detail and sharpness.
Tells the story well.

03-27-2011, 05:36 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Many thanks for your kind comments one and all.

Regarding the Indian statute, I do not expect it relfects any specific person from the past. Instead I expect given the circle of 6-8 posts it was an attempt to build an Ceremonial Circle as is shown below in the 1585 painting by John White (see link).

For those interested, the majority of out knowledge of East Coast Native Americans, is from John White's illustrations from the First Roanoke Settlement of 1585. Sir Walter Raleigh was a wise settlement organizer. In addition, to military and scientists, he send the equivalent of a photographer on the first explorations..

http://www.1st-art-gallery.com/thumbnail/183155/1/Indian-Village-Of-Secoton-2.jpg
03-27-2011, 06:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

These are beautiful images of your day and of history. The costumes are amazing. Thanks too for the link.

It is amazing how authentic 4 and 5 look...
03-30-2011, 02:17 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

All great shots but I like the first one best for the guy in red looking in the opposite direction from everyone else. War of the Roses period?

03-30-2011, 05:50 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great collection - I'm particularly taken with the third one - the pensive (or reflective) young man in chain mail. Nice job - great color and sharpness.

Jer
03-30-2011, 07:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Very nice shots. Feels like we've stepped back in time.
You make that FA 77 shine.....

Tim
03-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Once again thanks for such kind comments. Regarding the glass, I do not make the FA77mm shine, it makes the rest of us look like better photographers...

Regarding the first shot, I expect that these are early 17th century re-enactors, (The War of the Roses was a few hundred years earlier)..

Because the early 17th century costumes are probably not top notch, I will post a thread of some shots with my favorite historical interpretor Willy Balderson. He's not only a top man at Colonial Williamsburg, but he works with the Jamestown archaeologists to continually update his dress to be accurate with recovered artifacts. So, perhaps another series of posts. Till then, check these out. Willy is too much!!!

The Many Faces of Willie Balderson

Thanks for the nod on #3. I too think this is a great shot, (not for my technqiue, but the gentleman in mail, made it happen). I also love the close up of the young lass with the striking head piece. Its a shame that the skin tones were not great, because metering on the K200D could not handle the white canvas tent. Another reason to run to the K5. Above all thanks for the instruct and support....