Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My daughter says they are "too reflectiony"
Posted By: lapeen, 10-25-2007, 01:39 PM

She's 12 years old and my toughest critic

Views: 2,259
10-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Colleen, your daughter is smart. I would have prefered had you at least shown a little of the land which was being reflected.

Colours are beautiful, especially the blue sky.
10-25-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree too... I also took some with a little land... and some with a lotta land I was trying to be 'artsy' and failed...lol!!
10-25-2007, 04:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

At least they're in focus - my day today was a total failure and I'm still crying - guys cry too.

10-25-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My day could easily could have been too

I am SO FREAKING FLAKY sometimes, I doubt that I could EVER go pro. When I first got out of the car I kept hearing this TAP TAP TAP sound. I ignored it until it was right beside me and then noticed the woodpecker about 10ft away from me that didn't seem to be at all shy. So I whipped off my 50mm to put on my 135mm to try and get some close ups... Snap off a few GREAT ones.... Then remember that I never changed the white balance or ISO...and the crappy filter is on the lens (that will be replaced by at lens cap ASAP! And yes.... I know if I had been shooting RAW....................) So I reformat the card to delete all those because I was ticked off, change all the settings and by then the woodpecker has worked himself way up the tree. Then I go take all my photos, walk all the way back to the car and realize that I left my bag with all my lenses in it back at the stream ...UGH!!

These are the rest from today... Picasa Web Albums - lapeen - streamagain
10-25-2007, 06:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe you should try this to get an artistic look???

Last edited by Peter Zack; 01-27-2008 at 03:49 PM.
10-25-2007, 07:42 PM   #7
Inactive Account

The reflections are OK, but I would have been tempted to thow a small pebble in the water, to get the ripples. Might have given a good effect.
10-26-2007, 05:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It is pretty much by definition impossible to get an "artsy" shot that everybody will like.

So long as you're not shooting on commission the only person who has to be pleased with an artsy photo is the photographer.

10-26-2007, 06:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Peter, great suggestion - I was thinking the same thing.

Coleen, that's why I hate the 100D - it is so much more easier to change settings with my istD - actually I'm thinking of selling my 100D and BTW, you a couple of real nice shots in your link, why didn't you post them!

Last edited by JCSullivan; 10-26-2007 at 06:15 AM.
10-26-2007, 06:23 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
It is pretty much by definition impossible to get an "artsy" shot that everybody will like.

So long as you're not shooting on commission the only person who has to be pleased with an artsy photo is the photographer.
Sage advice. So true...
10-26-2007, 08:29 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Unlike everyone else who responded so far, I think the reflections are really nice "as is", without the land showing... You see those all the time. This sort of view is different and a bit more unique (yeah, I know, the phrase "more unique" is stupid and redundant...). Anyway, I like these!

Jim
10-26-2007, 08:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

If there is a horizen somewhere, the shot would be more interesting.
10-26-2007, 08:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lapeen Quote
My day could easily could have been too

I am SO FREAKING FLAKY sometimes, I doubt that I could EVER go pro. When I first got out of the car I kept hearing this TAP TAP TAP sound. I ignored it until it was right beside me and then noticed the woodpecker about 10ft away from me that didn't seem to be at all shy. So I whipped off my 50mm to put on my 135mm to try and get some close ups... Snap off a few GREAT ones.... Then remember that I never changed the white balance or ISO...and the crappy filter is on the lens (that will be replaced by at lens cap ASAP! And yes.... I know if I had been shooting RAW....................) So I reformat the card to delete all those because I was ticked off, change all the settings and by then the woodpecker has worked himself way up the tree. Then I go take all my photos, walk all the way back to the car and realize that I left my bag with all my lenses in it back at the stream ...UGH!!
I've had days like that as well Colleen

They don't come all that often, but they do happen.
And they can happen to anyone.

I like your attempts.
I'm lucky if 1 out of every 10 Artsy shots turn out.
10-26-2007, 01:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!! Good to hear that others do that stuff too I think the whole thing gave me the push I needed to shoot RAW... I think. I just HATE PPing EVERY SINGLE PHOTO, especially since most of mine are just snapshots.

And I agree with the 'artsy' thing too!
10-26-2007, 01:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Peter, great suggestion - I was thinking the same thing.

Coleen, that's why I hate the 100D - it is so much more easier to change settings with my istD - actually I'm thinking of selling my 100D and BTW, you a couple of real nice shots in your link, why didn't you post them!
Thank you! I didn't post them because I thought maybe we all had our fill of autumn landscapes ...plus I couldn't decide which ones to post.

Last edited by lapeen; 10-26-2007 at 07:05 PM.