Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Black Canyon of the Gunnison
Camera: Optio E40 Point/Shoot Photo Location: Colorado 
Posted By: Bob Harris, 03-29-2011, 06:30 PM

This NPS Park is located off of Hwy 50 at county road 347 near the city of Montrose, CO. The Gunnison River is creating this canyon which has a depth of 2700 feet. Although the depth of this canyon can not be compared to Hell's Canyon or the Grand Canyon, the difference is the shear walls leading to the roaring Gunnison River below. The pictures do not show the feeling you get peering over the different lookout rims in the park. It has taken millions of years to produce this canyon, it is estimated the river erodes the river bed at a rate of about the thickness of a piece of paper each year due to the hardness of the rock material.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio E40  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio E40  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio E40  Photo 

Last edited by Bob Harris; 03-29-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Views: 3,590
03-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty neat shots Bob...and a very interesting place. Long ago I was at the Royal Gorge, it was a sight to see! Bet you've been there...bet you've been everywhere!
Regards!
03-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks Rupert, if you don't like heights, you will be a little uneasy looking straight down 2700 foot. Here is the link to the Royal Gorge thread. Bob
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/135481-travel-royal-gorge-colorado.html
03-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Great shots. It is hard to tell just how far down it is, until you realize that that little thread of water at the bottom is actually a large river!

I've drove by there many times but have never actually went into the park. I really need to go there and see it in person.

03-30-2011, 08:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Finally Bob, a place we have been too. Thanks for bringing back some nice memories.
03-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
Great shots. It is hard to tell just how far down it is, until you realize that that little thread of water at the bottom is actually a large river!

I've drove by there many times but have never actually went into the park. I really need to go there and see it in person.
CJ, you are spending way too much time on the eastern side of the Rockies, thanks for looking. Bob
03-30-2011, 09:47 AM   #7

The Black Canyon is one magnificent hole in the ground. I used to drive past the back side of it a lot on the way to my parents' ranch. (Hwy 92 starts at Blue Mesa dam and heads past part of the canyon and on to Crawford.)

Thanks for sharing!

Lynn

03-30-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lynn Quote
The Black Canyon is one magnificent hole in the ground. I used to drive past the back side of it a lot on the way to my parents' ranch. (Hwy 92 starts at Blue Mesa dam and heads past part of the canyon and on to Crawford.)

Thanks for sharing!

Lynn
Lynn, we have taken that road a couple of times and the drop off views into the canyon can make you a bit dizzy. Did you know that Joe Cocker " an old rock star" and his wife live in the area of Crawford, I think she had a restaurant there that we ate in years back. thanks for viewing Bob
03-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Bob, when we have our big trip down to Arizona ti visit Tess' uncle, we're writing you for an itinerary. Maybe you should get started, so it's ready when we are... but you probably have a couple years, so don't hurry.
03-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Geepers! I get the feeling that these photos don't really do the place justice. Good shots, but I bet the grandeur of the place is hard to capture. But still, I feel a little vertigo just looking at them.

I wonder if it would work to take the same photographs at sunset or sunrise.
03-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ccrookston Quote
Geepers! I get the feeling that these photos don't really do the place justice. Good shots, but I bet the grandeur of the place is hard to capture. But still, I feel a little vertigo just looking at them.

I wonder if it would work to take the same photographs at sunset or sunrise.
You are absolutely right, later would have been a lot better. We were camped about 75 miles from here and had a couple of more places to visit before and after in the area, so we really never have the perfect time of day for photos, most are when the sun is at its highest. A lot of my photos are no more than snapshots. Thanks for looking, Bob
03-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #12

Oh, yes, I know the road very well! First time I took it was in 1968. Back then, it was a gravel road, and we drove it in the middle of a dark night, canyon not visible. And I spun out on one of the curves. Didn't make a thing of it -- until I drove the other direction the next day to go over to Gunnison and just about fainted when I saw the drop-off.

Crawford is a pretty neat little town. I knew about Cocker being there. My parents' place was between Crawford and Paonia, closer to the Paonia end.

Lynn

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Lynn, we have taken that road a couple of times and the drop off views into the canyon can make you a bit dizzy. Did you know that Joe Cocker " an old rock star" and his wife live in the area of Crawford, I think she had a restaurant there that we ate in years back. thanks for viewing Bob
03-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shots, Bob. I was there when I was a boy - these pics bring back memories, one of which is agoraphobia. I distinctly remember the chill you'd feel looking down on this thing.

Jer
03-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Bob, when we have our big trip down to Arizona ti visit Tess' uncle, we're writing you for an itinerary. Maybe you should get started, so it's ready when we are... but you probably have a couple years, so don't hurry.
Norm, I could set you up with an itinerary that would keep you busy for a month at least, so much to see in Arizona. We are now in Casa Grande AZ and will head to Tombstone AZ in a week, another fun place to visit. Bob
03-31-2011, 06:08 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I think your photos do show how deep that canyon really is. I'm fascinated by geology (if I had a do-over I'd probably choose that career, but that's another story). It's amazing what some water and rocks and a little bit of time...make that a really long time...can create.
Here's a shot I took from the top of Angel's Landing at Zion NP last summer, and it's only a 1,200 ft drop!