Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Legs and Pedals: 4600 Miles Later
Lens: DA 35 Limited Camera: K20D Photo Location: The City of Enchantment 
Posted By: Sailor, 03-31-2011, 03:46 PM

It seems impossible, but just over two years ago (the week I retired), my wife and bought a couple of commuter bikes for both exercise and entertainment. Here's mine after 4600 miles, many sore muscles, a set of brake pads and a couple of bottles of chain lube. It's lost its original pristine character, but still fun to ride.

Jer

Views: 1,874
03-31-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So, how much weight have you lost? BTW, I noticed your photo location was "city of enchantment". Didn't realize you had moved to Paris.
03-31-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jer, isn't it great to live in an area where you can bike, sail and let the top down on your roadster, 4600 miles, I can't even count that high, have fun and remember "If you ride your Bike at Night, wear White", Bob
03-31-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Nice looking machine......I have been know to drive to the mailbox to keep from walking.....and it is only 10 Ft from my Jeep.
I bet I rode my bike a million miles when I was a kid....I had a Columbia, remember those? Now my old legs are pretty much wearing out.....it happens!
Best Regards!

04-01-2011, 05:39 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats on your mileage Jer! Great bike. Looks very capable. Here's to another 4600 miles!
04-01-2011, 05:54 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
So, how much weight have you lost? BTW, I noticed your photo location was "city of enchantment". Didn't realize you had moved to Paris.
Hey - I'm a wirey (not skinny) dude now. Of course it's Paris; can't you tell by the grass?

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Jer, isn't it great to live in an area where you can bike, sail and let the top down on your roadster, 4600 miles, I can't even count that high, have fun and remember "If you ride your Bike at Night, wear White", Bob
Yup, Bob - it's great for warm-weather hobbies, which (for me) includes photography. We're heading for the boat today to caulk a couple of windows, clean up below and a few other odds and ends to finish off spring cleaning and be ready to get under way.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Nice looking machine......I have been know to drive to the mailbox to keep from walking.....and it is only 10 Ft from my Jeep.
I bet I rode my bike a million miles when I was a kid....I had a Columbia, remember those? Now my old legs are pretty much wearing out.....it happens!
Best Regards!
I'll be 65 in October, but - thus far - my legs seem to be holding up (although a sore knee or ankle shows up periodically). I do remember the Columbias and, like you, our gang of early baby boomers rode everywhere on our bikes. Even in the winter in Illinois (I lack the courage to do that now, for sure).

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Congrats on your mileage Jer! Great bike. Looks very capable. Here's to another 4600 miles!
Thanks, Tamia. It's a great way to get some exercise without getting bored (as I would in a gym). Fortunately, we can generally ride here year around.

Jer
04-01-2011, 05:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Nicel done Jer that is an accomplishment for sure! M bike is still hanging in the garage wating for the mounds of snow to melt but at least it's starting too.

04-01-2011, 06:12 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nicel done Jer that is an accomplishment for sure! M bike is still hanging in the garage wating for the mounds of snow to melt but at least it's starting too.
Thanks, Dave. Sounds like you guys have had a long winter, even for your area?

Jer
04-01-2011, 06:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Thanks, Dave. Sounds like you guys have had a long winter, even for your area?
Jer
It's one for ages my friend - final results are not in but I have heard there has not been this much snow since the mid 70's and longer cold snaps than usual. Weather looks like it's breaking now - so hopefully the end is here !
04-01-2011, 07:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Congrats on your achieving 4600 milemarker Jer. I have discovered that I do not have a bicycle behind. Does the word blister mean anything to you?
04-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

And it looks like that bike has plenty of miles left in it...how about the rider.
04-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
It's one for ages my friend - final results are not in but I have heard there has not been this much snow since the mid 70's and longer cold snaps than usual. Weather looks like it's breaking now - so hopefully the end is here !
Glad to hear the weather is breaking - Spring can't be too far away. In August, you can pity us as we swat bugs, sweat like stink (literally) and look over our shoulders for storms.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Congrats on your achieving 4600 milemarker Jer. I have discovered that I do not have a bicycle behind. Does the word blister mean anything to you?
Thanks, Susan. "Blister" does mean something to me - I get one on my head every time I try to think .

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by BlueBubbleBoy Quote
And it looks like that bike has plenty of miles left in it...how about the rider.
The rider is showing some wear . . . . but remains strikingly handsome.

Jer