Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

yeatzee's macros: Spiders
Posted By: yeatzee, 03-31-2011, 07:53 PM

Single image this time, @ F/8

Crab spider
by yeatzee (now 17, but still learning), on Flickr

A new diffuser setup was also used, allowing much more light so that the need for two flashes was eliminated for this shot

More coming

edit:

Phidippus Adumbratus

5 images stacked

edit 2:

2 images stacked

Crab spider

edit 3:

Phidippus adumbratus

Last edited by yeatzee; 04-01-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Views: 3,937
04-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
superb shots tanner... your work with a manual macro lens is fantastic... creepy little buggers though... gave me a shiver... dave m

04-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
superb shots tanner... your work with a manual macro lens is fantastic... creepy little buggers though... gave me a shiver... dave m
Thanks! Here's another of the crab spider, this time 2 images stacked.

Crab spider

Last edited by yeatzee; 04-01-2011 at 10:02 PM.
04-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
and a gentle giant, an old phidippus audax

Phidippus adumbratus

again, something is wrong with the jumper photos and I have no clue what/how to fix it.

4 images stacked
04-02-2011, 12:58 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Now I do like the Gentle Giant much more than the JS !

04-02-2011, 01:32 AM   #20

Photos: Albums
astunishing!
04-15-2011, 01:43 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok so those shots which I concluded suffered from large amounts of flare have been removed from my flickr.

here's an image from the same set though that did not suffer from flare at all. When going back through the set almost out of nowhere images began to have very obvious flare most noticeable in the direct middle of the image. anyways, the picture which is 9 images stacked

I do love how they fold their legs into a "V" when relaxing

Hopefully this one is better to you guys?
04-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Outstanding as usual. Question, the background on the top spider shot, is that natural or coloured paper or...? Also, are you containing them - did you make a custom enclosure? I'm quite the lepidoptera fan but havent really come up with a suitable containment or bg solution, kind of annoying me =)

04-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Outstanding as usual. Question, the background on the top spider shot, is that natural or coloured paper or...? Also, are you containing them - did you make a custom enclosure? I'm quite the lepidoptera fan but havent really come up with a suitable containment or bg solution, kind of annoying me =)
Thanks Nass. Im not sure exactly which photo you are referring to but all of the BG's in this set are just a mixture of leaves flowers etc. Colored paper gives off to flat of bokeh IMO. I keep them between shoots as pets depending on the species in various containers where they eventually make a web home and sometimes if I'm lucky have babies! I am fascinated with watching them (same with mantids).

For these shots I just let them roam around on my kitchen table which I have fitted with various colorful items containing them would mean something between my lens and the subject and I am really paranoid with IQ

I've toyed a bit with fake flowers from a crafts store, and they work just fine as long as they are far enough away from the subject so you don't get the "fake" texture