Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Haven in the Heart of the City (Shanghai)
Lens: Tamron 17-50/2.8 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Shanghai 
Posted By: Frogfish, 04-02-2011, 10:08 AM

Following on from my comments in the thread on the Raccoon Dogs (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/138874-nature-surprising...-shanghai.html ) I thought I'd post some shots of the scenery encountered whilst walking around this most verdant & almost botanical garden-like Shanghai Zoo. In the right areas of the zoo I've walked for 30 - 60 mins without seeing a single cage.

For me it is not only a great place to go to escape from a city of 23 million people but to find and photograph wild birds (and now mammals ) !

The zoo has undergone a profound change over the last few years, initially in response to visits by Jane Goodall (she of Mountain Gorilla fame) and her encouragement to modernise and improve the atrocious living conditions of the birds & animals and over the last two years preparing the zoo for the influx of visitors brought about by the staging of the 6 month long World Expo (which attracted 73 million visitors).
There is still some way to go - some animals are still kept in cramped, mundane or unsuitable conditions. However the improvements made are massive.

One of the very attractive aspects of walking around the zoo is the placement of benches, gazebos and other places to sit and contemplate or watch wildlife / birds, in sometimes the most unexpected and remote locations - often with not another human being in sight.

I apologise if some people have seen this first shot - the Zoo Plan - before but I think it helps give a sense of perspective. Note all the areas on the map that do not have cages or compounds of exhibits !

I hope you enjoy this walk around the Shanghai Zoo.

Views: 3,321
04-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
thanks for showing us more of the area, sure is beautiful. I would love to pull my motorhome in there and stay a couple of months. Bob
04-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A truly beautiful place and a photographer's paradise as you have shown us. I especially like the perspective in the fourth photo (discounting the zoo map). The whole series is really nicely rendered and thanks for showing them to us.
04-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting - respite in the middle of the "crowd" - nice shots, for sure.

Jer

04-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Bob - would hate to think what the import tax on your motorhome would be !!

Thank you Susan - I agree, it is a really lovely zoo now.

Thanks Jer !