Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Buttes for review
Posted By: photodad, 12-11-2006, 10:14 PM

All, being new to this forum, I am posting this shot for comment.

Thanks,

Ed

Shot with istDL 18-55mm

Attached Images

Views: 2,260
12-12-2006, 12:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi photodad. Nice demonstration of converging technique. A foreground to bring out the concept of distance. Dramatic sky with a distant beautiful mountains. The vineyard is geometrically pleasing.

Just the pole little bit distracting

Great shot
12-12-2006, 02:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Ed, I really like the shot, but I think it would have been better if you'd put the camera through the fence and taken the shot without the fence in the foreground. Just my 2 cents worth.
12-12-2006, 04:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm not so sure the post is distracting - I like it there. Just a minute bit of straightening.

I like the colour and sense of distance and perhaps that's why I like the fence where it is. Kind of gives you the "forbidden" feeling. With currency exchange, my 25cents worth.

12-12-2006, 06:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I really like it and BECAUSE of the fence. Without it, there would be too much empty foreground. The only thing I think it would improve it would be to have the top of the pole not aligned with the mountain horizon, but protruding into the sky.
12-12-2006, 06:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photodad Quote
All, being new to this forum, I am posting this shot for comment.

Thanks,

Ed

Shot with istDL 18-55mm
I like this shot, but like others said the pole is a bit distracting. Not that it shouldn't be there, I think that it should take up less of the frame.... At the size it is, it is a subject, but if it took up less of the frame, then it would compliment the photo.
the shot is a very good one!

just remember.... photography is like art..... it's all in the opinion of the viewer, but the most important thing is, if it looks good to you, then you are the most important one!
12-12-2006, 09:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The composition really zooms the eye to the distant mountains. I wonder if it would have been slightly better one step back to still capture the foreground detail and still give the middle and background zoom. Of course sometimes there is a ditch or object in the way that prevents taking that one step without totally changing the point of view. Good use of low evening light to add texture and depth to the mountain.

12-12-2006, 10:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I like the post. It adds to the composition of the image. However, I would try a slightly different angle. Perhaps crop off a few pixels on the left to more balance the image and put the post closer to the edge of the frame. And, too late, but the shot may have been enhanced by taking the shot from a lower angle. As eurostar suggests, have the top of the post above the distant horizon.

The biggest thing I would try to 'fix', and it is something that I have no clue how to do properly without it looking fake, is to increase the exposure of the foreground. As is, the foreground (vineyard) is underexposed compared to the sky and distant hills. If it were my image, I'd try to brighten the foreground and leave the sky and hills as is.

Now, if I can only figure out how to import a RAW image twice with different exposure variables and then merge them into a believable image . . . I'd be able to 'save' many a incorrectly exposed image.
12-12-2006, 11:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

A "quick 'n dirty" attempt to brighten up the foreground using a gradient layer mask. Not very good, but illustrates what I was trying to attempt.

12-12-2006, 01:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Steven, this looks pretty good but I think you have the gradient set to high and it is into the sky and the hills behind. Set your gradient at about 50% instead of 25% (which is about where it looks in the bottom picture) then change the opacity of the gradient layer until it looks right. That way the hills and background still have the more intense dramatic lighting while lightening the forground.

As to your RAW two photo question/conversation you can do an adjustment in RAW and save one as .jpg or .tif then make a different adjustment of the same picture in RAW and save as a different .jpg or .tif. Drag one over the top of the other while holding down the shift key then make a layer mask and using the gradient tool, do a similar thing as above. You can do the same with some more complex blends by just using a large soft brush instead of a gradient on the layer mask. See if that does it for you.
12-12-2006, 02:45 PM   #11

Original Poster
Buttes

I really thank you all! This site has been a great resource just to lurk around and pick up valuable Pentax stuff but that is nothing compared to this feedback; it is amazing!

This photo was taken early am - my daughter/dad photo outing. It was posted as exposed with nothing done other than resizing. It looks very much like the actual view of the vineyard etc. I am just learning Photoshop Elements 4.0 and not real confident yet. I'm looking forward to mentoring at the feet of you masters!

I thought that the weeds in the foreground is what might get the most crticism, that or the horizon being too close to center of the frame. I didn't even see the post being even with the horizon - I definitely agree that the top of that post above horizon and it being a smaller feature could make this image stronger.

I couldn't take the step back - there was a ditch and I couldn't get through the fence with my current tripod setup (new one on the way soon).

You all have been great; any other suggestions I would love to have. I will try to post another soon.

Thanks all,

Ed
12-12-2006, 05:06 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like it as is, with the fence and post, and with the exposure it is. Actually reminds me of Hawkes Bay here in NZ, lots of grapes grown there too.