Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My First Model Shoot
Posted By: AlmightyPentax, 10-27-2007, 07:28 PM

Fooled around with shooting some portraits today. This high key one came out pretty good. The eyes could have been a bit sharper, but I still like it. The model is my wife.

Last edited by AlmightyPentax; 10-28-2007 at 04:56 AM.
Views: 2,162
10-27-2007, 10:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Very nicely done. I don't see anything that really screams out to be improved. And your model/wife is very attractive as well.

Having said that, I might have done things a little differently. For example, I would have raised the chin a bit with the head not tilted forward as much. This would maintain the sultry look, but in a more direct head on manner (stronger, slightly less coy). I might also like a little more colour in the background. But these are trivial personal preferences, not at all a criticism. Your image works very well as is.

stewart
10-28-2007, 12:08 AM   #3
Syb
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree on the background part, but wouldn't raising the chin lead to loss of the reflection in the hair (front right). I liked it there, better than falling away on her forehead.

As discussed earlier, "background" colours to enhance the effect of prominent colors from the face really work. The brown clothes stress the color of her eyes.

Was she your reason to start making photographs? Or were you a photographer already when you met her?
10-28-2007, 12:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

first try? then you did really good.

The background and sharpness you could just pp

10-28-2007, 04:38 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
Was she your reason to start making photographs? Or were you a photographer already when you met her?
Well I went to film school before I met her and did a tiny bit of still photography there. As well as a little hobby stuff back in high school. But I gave my K1000 to a friend who was getting into photography and haven't had a camera since. I've noticed lately how much I miss the creative feeling of capturing a moment.

So I've decided to get enrolled in some classes and really try to make a go of this as a career. It would be nice to be able to make a living from doing something I enjoy for once...

But my wife is getting into it as well, she was a bit of a shutterbug in college as well. She loves doing landscapes and macro work.

So to answer your question more directly. She wasn't the reason I wanted to start, but it sure doesn't hurt to have someone nice looking to photograph. Though she wont agree with that part.
10-28-2007, 07:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Technically a nice shot, but the composition IMHO is just a little off. You've stumbled upon what I call the 'floating eye' problem, where one eye is central in the frame. If you look at photo in a certain way it almost looks like, for lack of a better description, an eye with a face around it rather than a face. Try staring at the photo for about ten seconds, see if you see what I mean.

This is very easy to fix by offsetting eye away from the centre...rule of thirds or otherwise.

Other than that, I love the shot! Great work, keep us posted with your latest work!

*Also, I did film school as well...and am hanging out in Florida for work for a couple of weeks. Great wildlife down here!
10-28-2007, 04:42 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
Technically a nice shot, but the composition IMHO is just a little off. You've stumbled upon what I call the 'floating eye' problem, where one eye is central in the frame. If you look at photo in a certain way it almost looks like, for lack of a better description, an eye with a face around it rather than a face. Try staring at the photo for about ten seconds, see if you see what I mean.

This is very easy to fix by offsetting eye away from the centre...rule of thirds or otherwise.

Other than that, I love the shot! Great work, keep us posted with your latest work!

*Also, I did film school as well...and am hanging out in Florida for work for a couple of weeks. Great wildlife down here!
omg so true! Something bothered me about the pic, and that's it...

however I still think it a great portrait, I really like the contrast, it works really well for the model