Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Veterans of War Memorial
Photo Location: Pierre, South Dakota 
Posted By: Bob Harris, 04-06-2011, 09:42 PM

Photos taken at Capitol Lake in Pierre, South Dakota. The Flaming Fountain features a flowing artisan well which contains natural gas and lit to provide a background of "water on fire". All figures are bronze and a tribute to the 65,000 South Dakotans who served in WW II, 26,000 who fought in the Korean War and 28,000 who fought in Vietnam so that we may have the freedoms that we have today.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio E40  Photo 

Views: 2,028
04-07-2011, 04:35 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Excellent shots, they certainly did a great job with those statues!
04-07-2011, 05:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
that last shot is stirring.... as a child (ha ha, now 55) of a ww2 veteran, this is a poignant reminder of how many sacrificed for our freedom.... this is a lesson our children need to learn... dave m
04-07-2011, 07:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Very moving Bob. The last one is wonderful. Whoever the sculptor was, he did a great job.

04-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Excellent shots, they certainly did a great job with those statues!
thanks EM, they are bigger than life just like our veterans. Bob
04-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

These are some of the true heroes, those that put their lives on the line so that we may enjoy the freedoms and blessings we do today. Great photos and a great reminder.
04-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I think any Veteran's monument is a good one, but those are great.

04-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These are very well done, Bob - and I enjoy seeing memorials like this one, since they remind of my Dad. In WWII, he was in the 180 Inf (45th Inf Div) and came ashore for the horrific fight at Anzio, after which came the liberation of Rome, a beachhead in Southern France, the liberation of Paris, the Battle of the Bulge and the invasion of and surrender of Germany. He came home a SSgt (E-5) with a Purple Heart and Silver Star and was the best Dad I could have hoped for; he died in '95 and I still miss him (and my Mom) a great deal.

Jer
04-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
These are very well done, Bob - and I enjoy seeing memorials like this one, since they remind of my Dad. In WWII, he was in the 180 Inf (45th Inf Div) and came ashore for the horrific fight at Anzio, after which came the liberation of Rome, a beachhead in Southern France, the liberation of Paris, the Battle of the Bulge and the invasion of and surrender of Germany. He came home a SSgt (E-5) with a Purple Heart and Silver Star and was the best Dad I could have hoped for; he died in '95 and I still miss him (and my Mom) a great deal.

Jer
What a military history your father has, that is the type of person that made this country great. What is a shame is that many schools do not teach much history anymore, my grand kids didn't even know approximately what years WWII occurred. thanks for the comment, time for me to refresh my memory on the battles you mentioned. Bob