Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Battle of Pea Ridge... Civil War reenactment
Posted By: Marc Langille, 10-28-2007, 05:13 PM

I led a nature photography class yesterday, so today was my time to shoot instead... time for a little photojournalism, which I always enjoy... This was the last day of the local Civil War Reenactment - the Battle of Pea Ridge, which occurred on March 7th and 8th, 1862.

I was very limited from where I could shoot, so I was primarily swapping out the 1.7X AF TC from the K10D and the FA* 300/2.8. So you may see several images showing "0mm" as the focal length - it's actually 510mm! I didn't have time to mess with focal length prompts when swapping, since battle was fast and furious...

The lull before the battle...

Taken at F/13, 1/350 sec., ISO200, 85mm with FA* 80-200/2.8:

Taken at F/6.7, 1/750 sec., ISO 200 , 510mm:

The Battle for Pea Ridge begins...

Taken at F/6.7, 1/1000 sec., ISO 200 , 510mm:

Taken at F/6.7, 1/750 sec., ISO 200, 510mm:

The effects of the massed fire was felt by the Confederate troops - taken at F/6.7, 1/750 sec., ISO 200, 510mm:

A fellow trooper looks down in shock at his fallen comrade - taken at F/6.7, 1/750 sec., ISO 200, 510mm:

Union Captain Rallies his troops. Taken at F/6.7, 1/750 sec., ISO 200, 510mm (soft filter effect):

Taken at F/6.7, 1/750 sec., ISO 200, 510mm:

Union Artillery fire - taken at F/6.7, 1/500 sec., ISO 200, 510mm:

Here's a favorite of mine - a posed shot after the battle. You should see it full sized! I tried to make it similar to the posed shots from that era. It's almost like the commander's face is a reflection of the fatigue and grim realities of what happened in the real battle. Taken at F/6.7, 1/250 sec., ISO 200, 28mm (Tamron 28-75/2.8)

Crop of the above image:

As time permits, more images will be put up in my Civil War Reenactment gallery.

I am considering putting together a 2008 calendar for the reenactors - I know there's interest, just have to see what the feedback will be and if they are willing to buy one!

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 10-29-2007 at 07:27 AM. Reason: clarification
Views: 9,487
10-29-2007, 02:22 PM   #16
Inactive Account

You could always use the photo effects time machine feature of Corel Paint Shop Pro.

10-29-2007, 05:15 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Great shots, you really captured the action!
10-29-2007, 06:07 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Marc,

I took a quick look at these this morning but did not have enough time to reply. I really like your treatment of these images and the modality of capture. Really nice effort and finished product. Wonderful images, some of the best I have seen in this genre. ALINLA did a nice job doing these last year, and yours was just a good.

Cheers,

Stephen
10-29-2007, 06:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Well done Marc it has all been said - the action shots are spectacular.

10-29-2007, 09:19 PM   #20

I hope you don't mind me posting this, but this is a picture of me and a friend taken on a period tintype. You can use this for sepia reference if you like. I'm the guy without the beard...

10-29-2007, 09:40 PM   #21
Veteran Member

WOW Marc. I say these are verywell done. Your post processing is great. What post processing program/flow did you use? I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite as I love the motion and mood set forth in all the action shots. But the "Union Captain Rallies his troops" is my top pick. I think a calendar would be VERY well received. I bet you could even sell a calendar in specialty shops if you published enough. Might be worth looking into a bulk discount?
I am sure glad I got to see these Marc. And if you make a calendar I will buy one! My sister would love a calendar like this.
10-30-2007, 09:04 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
THESE ARE AWESOME!!!!!! I bet you would make more then a few bucks selling these as a calendar. Great series and great shots. I feel like I am there or your are there at the actualy Civil War
Thank you - it was my hope that the images would impart that experience!

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Great photos Marc! Love the sepia effect. Haha you should maybe soften the photos just a bit.

Too sharp for the day! =P
Thanks FotoPete! Except for a few, it's all done in camera...

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Marc Excellent stuff. A couple are real stand outs. Starting with "Union Captain Rallies his troops" to the canon firing. The group portrait is excellent. For me what makes that shot work is the guy with the white beard and the other one wearing the jacket that doesn't fit. These guys look like they just came out of the woods or off the farm to join the Army (as many did in those days). The only one that doesn't work as well (not because of your picture abilities) is the 3 talking and smiling. Don't imaging there was much humour during the real thing although this looks like a quiet moment before the action.
Thanks Peter! I love the Union Captain image too. Timing was everything on that shot! That's why I like the group portrait too - his mis-fitting jacket makes it look more authentic, no question.

Cheers,
Marc

10-30-2007, 09:06 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Holy cow! A good friend of mine is a "Civil War Buff" (a yank @ that ). He's really into all this. I had never considered what a re-enactment might be link until these pictures. That shot of the row of rifles going off at once and other firing shots tell quite the tail of what the experience must be like. ... all that makes for compelling photography now doesn't it!
I have more on my website, including images from last year - I think you'd enjoy them! Thanks for looking!

QuoteOriginally posted by skaktuss Quote
The last, non-cropped pic is the best I realy love it. Very realistic. A bit less saturation and will look like 100 years old.
QuoteOriginally posted by Chako Quote
No it wouldn't. He would have to blur it a little. Civil War glass of the time wasn't as tack sharp as our modern glass.

Anyways, nice photos. I am a bit envious. I have always wanted to take photos of such an event.
Thank you both! I've done a second version with a softening effect, so I hope you enjoy...
10-30-2007, 09:08 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
Hey! It's like we all think the world was in sepia then.
I would have liked to see it in the real colors.

Very nice shots, btw!

Syb
Thanks Syb - much appreciated!

QuoteOriginally posted by JamesD Quote
Absolutely spectacular. I'm sure a calendar would be snatched up almost immediately.
Thank you James! You are very kind. I am hoping interest will be there...

QuoteOriginally posted by skaktuss Quote
Still to much contrast

I hope You don't mind:
Thanks for sharing that image - I don't mind at all! I think the detail loss is too high for it to be a compelling sell for those folks...
10-30-2007, 09:11 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Marc, The softened image is great. I don't think it has to look like it was shot on a daguerreotype. These guys and other possible customers would want to see the detail with a little "old time" treatment. Again well done.
I agree on this one - too much detail loss and it may not be a desired image. Thanks again for your input Peter!

QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
Those are great! I once had a discussion with some guys that were into that and was told that some of the really extreme participants have been know to starve themselves so that they look appropriately emaciated for photos. A bit over the top.
I remember seeing some PS actions, either in a book or on the web, that add an aged look to the picture;maybe worth a shot while you are playing around. Nice work.
Thank you PeterAM! I may try some more PP'ing, but I do like this images as is too...
10-30-2007, 09:15 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chako Quote
You could always use the photo effects time machine feature of Corel Paint Shop Pro.
Duly noted Chako - I'm going to check into it when time permits. Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by CombatCamera Quote
Great shots, you really captured the action!
I appreciate you stopping by and enjoying the images!

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Marc,

I took a quick look at these this morning but did not have enough time to reply. I really like your treatment of these images and the modality of capture. Really nice effort and finished product. Wonderful images, some of the best I have seen in this genre. ALINLA did a nice job doing these last year, and yours was just a good.

Cheers,

Stephen
Hi Stephen, I hope all is well with you? Thanks for stopping by. Considering my limited shooting options, I am very pleased with the outcome.

You honor me with those words - Al has some very fine images, no question!

Regards,
Marc

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Well done Marc it has all been said - the action shots are spectacular.
Thanks Daacon for your kind comments! I enjoyed it - only 40 minutes of shooting too...
10-30-2007, 09:19 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eddie Quote
I hope you don't mind me posting this, but this is a picture of me and a friend taken on a period tintype. You can use this for sepia reference if you like. I'm the guy without the beard...

Eddie, VERY NICE!!! I will try this when time permits!

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
WOW Marc. I say these are verywell done. Your post processing is great. What post processing program/flow did you use? I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite as I love the motion and mood set forth in all the action shots. But the "Union Captain Rallies his troops" is my top pick. I think a calendar would be VERY well received. I bet you could even sell a calendar in specialty shops if you published enough. Might be worth looking into a bulk discount?
I am sure glad I got to see these Marc. And if you make a calendar I will buy one! My sister would love a calendar like this.
Thank you LaRee! I am glad you enjoyed them.

Believe it or not, all images with the heavier sepia tone and softening is done COMPLETELY by the camera. I did nothing else except apply the filter(s) in camera. I'll have to check about a bulk printing, since it's the only way to make it work. Will keep you posted...
10-31-2007, 01:37 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Eddie, VERY NICE!!! I will try this when time permits!

Thank you LaRee! I am glad you enjoyed them.

Believe it or not, all images with the heavier sepia tone and softening is done COMPLETELY by the camera. I did nothing else except apply the filter(s) in camera. I'll have to check about a bulk printing, since it's the only way to make it work. Will keep you posted...
Hi Eddie,

Forgot to ask - where did you have this done, and was the effect created in Photoshop, or... ??

Thanks!
Marc
10-31-2007, 02:51 PM   #29

No, there was no post processing whatsoever. It was taken with a tintype camera on the Port Hudson National Battlefield. His website is Ty's Tintypes and a picture of this tintype is on there under the Civil War section.

It was fun watching the development in front of us. It's been a long time since I saw that.
11-01-2007, 07:54 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eddie Quote
No, there was no post processing whatsoever. It was taken with a tintype camera on the Port Hudson National Battlefield. His website is Ty's Tintypes and a picture of this tintype is on there under the Civil War section.

It was fun watching the development in front of us. It's been a long time since I saw that.
Thank you for the link! That must have been a memorable experience!

Cheers,
Marc