Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sumatran Tiger
Lens: DAL 18-55mm Camera: K-r Photo Location: Dubbo Zoo ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/1500s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: crf529, 04-09-2011, 10:58 PM

G'day all, thought i'd bite the bullet and make my first real post. Sorry for the boring back story but...

Not so much trying to show how much i'm still learning (an awful lot), but really after some advice on how to salvage some photos that I won't get a chance to take again. My girlfriend and myself took a trip to Dubbo Zoo over the weekend and I bought her one of the 'tiger experiences', where you get to go behind the exhibit and feed a tiger, as well as see the other tigers that call the zoo home and their cages.

Now this camera was a birthday present to her a month ago, and she's equally inexperienced in the photo world as me.

So behind the cage, we were in extensive shade but outside it was midday and rather bright. First problem (aside from what I now see as poor framing) was that the important stuff was well underexposed. The original is the first image.

In addition to that I found that the ISO was set at 800 as a result of the mrs playing with and getting used to the cameras settings. I'm not sure if this will help or hinder this photo?

I have photoshop, but my skills are limited to what I can learn using google. So in an attempt this morning to save the photo I attempted an artificial HDR playing with the RAW files exposure, and also selective colouring.

Any advice or tips would be much appreciated as to what the best way to edit this photo is, there are quite a few photos I have from the day that are like this and I'm really hoping to fix them to print quality.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Images

Last edited by crf529; 04-10-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Views: 1,251
04-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There should be a tool in PS that allows "brighten shadows", and "darken highlights". In PS Elements it is under Enhance --> Adjust Lighting. It won't completely work the miracle you need though, sorry :-)
04-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't use PS but Aperture. However I believe you should have the same, or very similar, brushes. What you need here is the selective lightening and darkening brushes. You could play around with curves too (especially since you have the RAW files) to see if you can strike a balance that you can then use as a starting point for your work with the brushes.

Some less advanced programs actually have a 'fill flash' tool - not sure how well it works. Picasa maybe ? Not sure which. Maybe check online to see if they have this tool and download a trial (unless they are free) to try them out.

Unfortunately a tip for next time is to expose for the background and use fill flash for the foreground, play around with it until you get the right flash level it is usually less (e.g. -1.0), or use a small diffuser on the pop-up - I have a cloth one that does a nice job and you can stuff in your pocket.

Doesn't look like the ISO800 harmed as the background is nicely exposed however lower is better next time unless necessary.