Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Curious about links
Posted By: vievetrick, 10-28-2007, 07:26 PM

Curious about what you think of each version.
Version A
[

Version B

Version A

Version B

I will tell you why after a few comments if any
Views: 1,365
10-28-2007, 07:30 PM   #2
Ed in GA

The larger file size allows more exploration of the detail. It does not, however, make the photos any more appealing.
10-28-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd tend to agree with Eddy. The larger versions are show more detail because of the size. But the subject matter doesn't grab me much. The gull shot is dead center up the middle of the frame and although clear and sharp there's not much more there. The boat pic is a bit better but I'd have cropped or even taken it at a different angle. The boats further in the background clutter it up. The yellow rope is a nice contrast to the rest of the scene if there was less colour from the boats.
10-28-2007, 08:17 PM   #4
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see it differently myself. While the dock shot doesn't grab me -- I'd prefer the boats the subject rather then the rope and wood ...I guess in retrospect the point is the vivid yellow of that one rope? -- I do like the gull shot more when bigger; the pole texture and color is much more compelling in higher rez and spots on the head aren't just salt and pepper blotches. Additionally, the gull's head and the poll, are on the left verticle 1/3rd line; and body of the gull is well above the center line entirely except for one tail feather on the center line. With the pole and gull head on the left verticle 1/3rd line, and gull's body averaging the top horizontal 1/3rd line, I feel it's an attractive variation on the rule of thirds.

10-29-2007, 02:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I prefer 2 to 1. I quite like this close up of the gull though I think the gull is too high up in the composition and there's too much of the pole. The bright background creates a distracting effect around the outline of the gull. I'm sure there's a technical term for that but I can't remember what it is. I prefer 3 to 4. I'm not sure why but the context seems more evident. Nice contrasting colours but I think a little more DOF would have been better.

Paul
10-29-2007, 05:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for comments. Interestingly the shots are exactly the same. The only difference is that one is hosted on Flickr and one imageevent. I have used imageevent for 2 plus years and recently started using Flickr. In my mind I think the flickr pictures look a little better resolution, size and just overall make the shot look better when posting. I should back track a bit. I am not entirly convinced. So I figured I would post one from each as I have to see the response. Thanks for the comments.