Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
If You're Considering a Pentax 55-300mm...
Lens: smc Pentax 55-300mm f4-5.8 Camera: Pentax K200D 
Posted By: Tamia, 04-11-2011, 06:16 AM

...then I can highly recommend it. I've had mine about two months now, and have been very impressed with the IQ. The lens has hardly left my camera since I got it, and it works well for more than wildlife -- architecture, nature shots, Thanks to all here who have encouraged me by posting their 55-300mm photos.

Enough talk. Some shots, most of them just about straight from the camera with no more than curves and levels adjustments, with cropping and resizing:

Calling Jay

Mallard Sunning on a Cold Morning

On the Alert

Lone Goose in the Snow

Rooms to Let

Patient Porcupine

Silky Flow

Droplets

Water Tower

Spiky Spires

Late Season Snowstorm

Wild Chipmunk

Last edited by Tamia; 04-11-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Views: 3,216
04-11-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shooting! I see shots from that lens all over the internet, and it always impresses me. I keep thinking that it has to be the best lens value in the world....would anyone disagree with that? Just great IQ at a very reasonable price.
Best Regards!
04-11-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice indeed Tamia.
04-11-2011, 07:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice shots Tamia. That is my favorite lens also and I agree about the IQ. The silky water shot is stunning by the way and I can't believe you managed to get a pic of a porcupine. I have only seen one in the wild and that was so brief I couldn't swear to it. The chipmunk is also amazing as they are not as cooperative as Otis is. Lovely shots.

04-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Nice shooting! I see shots from that lens all over the internet, and it always impresses me. I keep thinking that it has to be the best lens value in the world....would anyone disagree with that? Just great IQ at a very reasonable price.
Best Regards!
Thanks much, Rupert. I agree on the value of this lens. It's GREAT value for money. With my K200d it is a bit difficult to get sharp noise-free photos in dim light, such as on rainy days, but this is just a good excuse to finally spring for a camera with better high-ISO capability than the K200D can manage, despite its other enormous virtues.

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Very nice indeed Tamia.
Thanks, EM. Much appreciated!

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Nice shots Tamia. That is my favorite lens also and I agree about the IQ. The silky water shot is stunning by the way and I can't believe you managed to get a pic of a porcupine. I have only seen one in the wild and that was so brief I couldn't swear to it. The chipmunk is also amazing as they are not as cooperative as Otis is. Lovely shots.
Thank you, Susan. The photo of the porcupine was pure luck. I knew he lived in the woods where I was climbing a very steep slope. I'd seen his tracks in the snow a lot this winter. I had stopped to take a breather, and for some reason turned to look to my left. There he was, about 15 yards away, watching me. I took a few photos, and he waited until I was done, then turned and ambled away.

The chipmunk, Jack, is a frequent visitor to my bird feeding stump, but he is usually not so cooperative. He was annoyed that another chipmunk was approaching, so he's wide-eyed and waiting to pounce, which he did the instant after my shutter released. Getting clear photos of chips is hard, but I did luck out on a hike yesterday where I saw a wild chipmunk watching me. I added his photo above, Wild Chipmunk, photographed at 300mm.
04-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tamia, all beautifully photographed, I can see why everyone likes the lens. Your skills along with the lens are a great combination. thanks for sharing. Bob
04-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
is it the DA or the DA L version?

04-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Strangely, my favourite is "Rooms to Let". Well composed, nice textures and colours.

The bokeh on the jay shot and some others is quite busy, apart from that it's a fine lens indeed!
04-12-2011, 05:46 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Gee, Tamia, I almost missed this post, and I'm sure glad I didn't - these shots are outstanding. I wish I could handle my 55-300 as well as you can shoot with yours.

Jer
04-12-2011, 05:55 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Those are all great shots... they all look like they are taken in our back woods.. are you hiding out back there somewhere?
04-12-2011, 05:57 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Tamia, all beautifully photographed, I can see why everyone likes the lens. Your skills along with the lens are a great combination. thanks for sharing. Bob
Thanks very much, Bob. I have a LOT more culls than keepers!

QuoteOriginally posted by thorwb Quote
is it the DA or the DA L version?
This is the DA version.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Strangely, my favourite is "Rooms to Let". Well composed, nice textures and colours.

The bokeh on the jay shot and some others is quite busy, apart from that it's a fine lens indeed!
I really like Rooms to Let, too. The bokeh can be very pleasing with this lens, but in cluttered surroundings (the woods), it would take some cloning to remove some of the background.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Gee, Tamia, I almost missed this post, and I'm sure glad I didn't - these shots are outstanding. I wish I could handle my 55-300 as well as you can shoot with yours.

Jer
Thanks, Jer, very much appreciated. As I mentioned above, I have far far more culls than keepers, and I've been learning this lens by carrying it everywhere (I have the sore neck to prove it). The extra reach of this lens over the also acceptable Pentax 50-200mm DA truly makes a big difference, and I'm looking forward to returning songbirds to really put this lens to the test.
04-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

You've got some great results from this lens Tamia. I like it too, but I've got a ways to go to catch up to you.
My favorite is silky flow. Love the slow shutter and the composition. Beautiful.
04-13-2011, 12:01 AM   #13

Location: Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa
Beautiful images with super colours
04-13-2011, 12:31 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I agree Tamia. I too have a K200D and a 55-300mm f4. That lens focuses very quickly and very accurately, and as a consequence I tend to get sharper photos from it than I do from my 35mm f2.8 limited...
04-13-2011, 05:47 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Hi Tamia--The lens is very nice for the price and does a good job as your pictures show.I should use mine more.My all purpose lens is the 18-250 Pentax which doesn't do that bad for a "walking around lens"--charliezap