Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Petrified Forest - Arizona
Posted By: UpNorth, 04-11-2011, 09:09 AM

Last summer we took our family vacation out to Arizona to see the Grand Canyon, and a handful of other natural wonders in the area. Inspired by Susan's "Come With Us" series from a month or so back, I finally decided to get on the stick and post a few shots I took on our trip.

First stop was the Petrified Forest NP. According to the NPS web site, this area has ".....one of the world's largest and most colorful concentrations of petrified wood.....". It's really something to think that millions of years ago these were actually trees.....

(The colors are actually much richer than they appear here, and the shots aren't as overexposed as they seem. For whatever reason - I've tried posting the pics directly into the message, linking from a Pentax Forums album, linking from Flickr, and now linking from Photobucket - but they all seem to lose a lot of the "pop" they have when viewing the Raw image on my Mac.)

For perspective on the size I had the kids jump into the shot - that's a pretty good sized log behind them!

Next stop will be the Painted Desert - although it may be a few days before I get them dumped into Photobucket, and then posted.....

Thanks for looking,

Tim
Views: 3,320
04-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BlueBubbleBoy Quote
Hey Tim, I missed this one in your series. That is pretty incredible that those "logs" used to be trees. Now you've got me curious and I'm going to have to look up more info on the place.
I like that last shot, nice perspective.
Thanks Barry. Yeah - If you're ever "in the neighborhood" out there, it's worth the stop. (As an added bonus you also get the Painted Desert in the same trip - since they're all in the same park!)

Thanks for looking and commenting.....

Tim