Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Weekend Away - Pentax DA40mm Limited test
Posted By: dugrant153, 10-28-2007, 11:15 PM

So I recently purchased a Pentax DA40mm Limited (the pancake lens) and took it for a spin this weekend. The F2.8 does struggle a bit at ISO200-800 in some dimly lighted indoor rooms, but I mated it with the AF640FGZ Pentax Flash unit to get the best pictures I could. I think boosing the ISO to 1600 would've made for some better low light shots.

That being said, here are some of the better shots I took this weekend while on a trip away:

AF540FGZ bounce flash + Pentax DA40

AF540FGZ bounce flash + Pentax DA40

Pentax DA40, no flash

Pentax DA40, no flash

Pentax DA40, no flash
Accidentally had tungsten white balance on this one, but it created a really cool effect.

My conclusion is that the F2.8 is a great lens, but for dark indoors is best mated with a flash. I have to work on composing my pictures properly as I realize it's not the greatest in these pictures, but hopefully that'll improve over time!
Views: 1,497
10-28-2007, 11:21 PM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thats my experience too, f2.8 is just barely eanough for a lot of indoor scenes, it really helps to have f2.0 or faster instead. which is why I am disappointed with the pentax DA primes since they are not generally faster than zooms.

your shots are technically well taken, it can do a lot of indoor quality to have a flash and to know how to use it
10-29-2007, 06:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't quite see the point of a wide-/normal-ish non-macro prime with a maximum aperture of f/2.8 or slower.
10-29-2007, 06:31 AM   #4
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't quite see the point of a wide-/normal-ish non-macro prime with a maximum aperture of f/2.8 or slower.
I know... it is small though, but its too small, and the FA 43 is fast and small as well.

Well it is a good lens though, and it is small. and light. the images dugrant153 has shared with us do show its a performer.

10-29-2007, 10:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The reason I'm still using the DA40mm is the following:

1) I actually like the 40mm focal length. It's different. It's also just enough to take a group of people in a tighter room, but if I want to do portrait, I just move in.

2) The price of the DA40mm attracted me, as I'm on a very tight budget at the moment unfortunately.

3) The metal build and Pentax brand spelled 'quality' for me. Plus, it was the only lens I really liked that was on the shelf at one time.

I think that the DA40mm F2.8 Limited is a fantastic lens with the right lighting and/or a proper flash unit. Also, the fact that it's a pancake lens makes it very unique, and the amount of sharpness and vibrancy that this lens produces is amazing.

That being said, I found it to be heavier than the 18-55mm kit lens! Weird.