Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Dusting off the 55-300
Lens: DA L 55-300 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Backyard 
Posted By: BlueBubbleBoy, 04-12-2011, 07:19 PM

I was able to get off work a little early today and after doing a little yard work decided to get out the 55-300. With most of my shots in the winter coming indoors I hadn't used it in quite a while. Unfortunately, I just had to take it for a tour around my backyard, so nothing spectacular here, but it was nice to be out taking photos again. I was hoping to try some bird shots, but they seemed to be having their parties elsewhere this evening. Anyway, here's a few just for fun.

This one is pretty heavily cropped

Yep, just weeds here, but I liked how they stood out from the background.

This photo was just a test shot @300mm while I was waiting for some birds to fly by and for some reason I keep coming back to it.

Thanks for stopping by.
Views: 1,783
04-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
krp
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots. I especially like the lighting on the butterfly. Did you add vignetting in PP?
04-13-2011, 06:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Isn't the versatility of this lens wonderful, Barry? The butterfly shot if super, and I particularly like the birdbath photo.
04-13-2011, 06:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krp Quote
Nice shots. I especially like the lighting on the butterfly. Did you add vignetting in PP?
Thanks. Yes I did use vignettting and also did some dodging on the butterfly.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Isn't the versatility of this lens wonderful, Barry? The butterfly shot if super, and I particularly like the birdbath photo.
Thank you. Hopefully my next photo outing can be in a little more of an interesting place

04-13-2011, 06:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Butterflies, flowers, and yardwork needing to be done. Ah spring. Nice to see good weather again isn't it. Nice series. Is the middle one Fleabane?
04-13-2011, 06:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like them. They are sort of unassuming, but very pleasant to look at. Thanks for sharing, Barry.
04-13-2011, 08:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

It is a very nice lens Barry. The only thing is that you can't get in close but then again it wasn't made for that.--charliezap

04-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Butterflies, flowers, and yardwork needing to be done. Ah spring. Nice to see good weather again isn't it. Nice series. Is the middle one Fleabane?
Thanks Susan. It is nice for the pleasant weather but I am not a big fan of the hot muggy summer coming up. I'll enjoy spring while it's here. I think #2 is a fleabane.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kammerer Quote
I like them. They are sort of unassuming, but very pleasant to look at. Thanks for sharing, Barry.
Thanks Krammer. I realize these aren't the most exciting subjects but it was fun to get out again with my camera. Thanks for the nice comment.

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
It is a very nice lens Barry. The only thing is that you can't get in close but then again it wasn't made for that.--charliezap
You're right, close focus is out of the question but overall a very nice lens especially considering the price tag!
04-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Barry, isn't it nice to get out and enjoy the weather again. Looks like this a very versatile lens with good clarity and I bet you would use it almost as a general purpose lens while hiking or out for adventures with the family. I like the last shot, if you put some water in it, you will probably have better luck attracting some birds. Have fun, Bob
04-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Barry, isn't it nice to get out and enjoy the weather again. Looks like this a very versatile lens with good clarity and I bet you would use it almost as a general purpose lens while hiking or out for adventures with the family. I like the last shot, if you put some water in it, you will probably have better luck attracting some birds. Have fun, Bob
Thanks Bob. I have been able to snap a few good ones of the kids outside with this lens. And yes water in the bath would attract more birds. In fact there was some in there earlier but I knocked it over while doing yard work and never thought to fill it back up. Thanks for the comments.