Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
"REALLY" pushing my K20d
Lens: pentax 18-250 Camera: k20d Photo Location: fl ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: >6s Aperture: F3.5 
Posted By: charliezap, 04-13-2011, 05:41 AM

[IMG][/IMG]
It was REALLY REALLY dark out by the pool around midnight and the only lighting was the moon which was at over 50% from being full.The solar accent lights didn't add to the lighting.The moon was the major source of light.These 2 shots were taken at 30secs---f3.5---1600 ISO with the Pentax 18-250.I tried tweaking them in PP but I could only do so much with the conditions that were prevalent at the time.--comments and suggestions (besides getting the K5)--charliezap

Attached Images

Views: 1,313
04-13-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is this type of photography something you think you'd find yourself doing often?

Whatever the case, given the nature of the subject you might have gotten away with taking several images(exposures) and stacking them in a software such as "Photo Acute". Which is a well known tool with astronomy photographers.

FTR, I think the first image was a success, however the second one seems to of suffered from movement or something along those lines(tough to say for sure).

Also, have you considered taking the images as higher ISO to help reduce frame times and potential movement?
04-13-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Is this type of photography something you think you'd find yourself doing often?

Whatever the case, given the nature of the subject you might have gotten away with taking several images(exposures) and stacking them in a software such as "Photo Acute". Which is a well known tool with astronomy photographers.

FTR, I think the first image was a success, however the second one seems to of suffered from movement or something along those lines(tough to say for sure).

Also, have you considered taking the images as higher ISO to help reduce frame times and potential movement?
Hi John
I took these shots just for an experiment to see if the k20d could handle this type of very dark shot.I don't anticipate doing this type of shot very often.The camera was set on a very solid spot and I know that there wasn't any shake.The area was very dark and I could barely see any objects around the pool even with half a moon.---charliezap
04-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Charlie there is quite a bit of noise, and I am sorry to tell you this but the solution would be a K-5, hate to be the person that gives you the bad news, as if you needed an excuse. Enjoy the rest of your vacation. Bob

04-13-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Charlie there is quite a bit of noise, and I am sorry to tell you this but the solution would be a K-5, hate to be the person that gives you the bad news, as if you needed an excuse. Enjoy the rest of your vacation. Bob
Hi Bob--You did validate my suspicion that the K5 would be the solution. One can only expect so much from the K20 which does a great job in everyday typical shooting.I was surprised that I got what I did considering how dark it was outside at the time.I would think that several months down the road that the K5 should be priced less than what it is now.--charliezap