Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My first photo (Awww)
Lens: Sigma 55-200mm Camera: Samsung GX20 Photo Location: My Backyard ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Lurch, 04-14-2011, 03:51 AM

Ok... so since getting the camera the other day, I finally had 20mins this evening to pull it out and start playing. It was just on dusk, so light was diminishing rapidly.
I've been doing a *Stack* of reading over the last few days regarding the balance between Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO.
I wanted to play with Aperture, so I set the camera to Av and started taking shot at difference Aperture setting to a) see the effect of Depth of Field, but also b) to see what effect it had on the cameras decision regarding Shutter Speed.

Here is the shot, taken in RAW - but simply imported and exported straight out of Lightroom:

I then had a quick go at working with some of the adjustments in LR (I've used Photoshop for years, but never used Lightroom before)

Views: 1,282
04-14-2011, 03:54 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not a bad attempt, the shot is a little on the dark side so it may pay to consider dropping your aperture back to F2.8 to allow a b it more light to the sensor plus it will give you good Bokeh in the background. Was the day a little overcast?
04-14-2011, 03:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
No, not particularly - but like I said, dusk was falling at the time
However the F stop refused to go less that 4. Is that because of my kit lens? or something in the Av setting?
04-14-2011, 07:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the way you are teaching yourself to get to know your camera. It is a great start. The bests way to find out the effects of the different settings is to play with each one and see what happens. Keep at it.

04-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks guys
I intend to go back out this evening at roughly the same time and shoot the same flower and work on the correct settings to life the light a bit.