Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Finally . . . .
Camera: Panasonic LX5 Photo Location: Galveston Bay 
Posted By: Sailor, 04-14-2011, 05:29 AM

. . . . . . we got underway again yesterday. I think we've endured the longest hiatus from sailing we've experienced since moving from Michigan to Texas in '95. I nearly always post pics of the year's first sail and I've done so here - frankly, they look pretty much like the pics from previous "first sails", but it's now sort of part of the drill. None are keepers, but they show us back "in the swing."

Jer (posted from the dock)

First tack into the bay - wind at about 17 kts:

The mate steers:

While the skipper recovers from raising the main and unfurling the jib:

Returning to the dock in the Kemah Channel at day's end:

Views: 3,060
04-14-2011, 05:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now that you got all of the kinks ironed out enjoy a great season of salt and spray.--capn zap
04-14-2011, 06:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

glad to see yer not drinkin' and drivin' jer.... hope ya have smooth sailin' ahead.... dave m
04-14-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the first shot is exhilarating, gives the feeling of freedom and excitement. Looks like you got it all, a pretty mate with work gloves and you with boat shoes on at the ready. Bob

04-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Now that you got all of the kinks ironed out enjoy a great season of salt and spray.--capn zap
Thanks, Capn.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
glad to see yer not drinkin' and drivin' jer.... hope ya have smooth sailin' ahead.... dave m
Appreciate it, Dave.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
the first shot is exhilarating, gives the feeling of freedom and excitement. Looks like you got it all, a pretty mate with work gloves and you with boat shoes on at the ready. Bob
Thanks, Bob. Yeah, we stumbled around a bit (as is usual when we haven't got our sea legs), but it was a great afternoon.

Jer
04-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Very Nice Jer, I really like that first shot. Really makes me want to get back out on the water again. Happy sailing.
04-15-2011, 03:11 AM   #7
axl
Veteran Member

Nice to see you sailing again Jer,

have a good wind for the rest of the summer!

04-15-2011, 05:04 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BlueBubbleBoy Quote
Very Nice Jer, I really like that first shot. Really makes me want to get back out on the water again. Happy sailing.
Thanks, Barry. In case you (or others) are interested, here are a couple of better "versions" of Cut Time beating to windward in more vigorous conditions. The first one, which is in PPG, was taken in June of '07 with a K10D and DA 16-45. The second pic was taken almost exactly two years later with my K20D amd DA 18-250. I posted one of these shots before, but can't remember which .

Jer

04-15-2011, 05:05 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Nice to see you sailing again Jer,

have a good wind for the rest of the summer!
Hey, thanks Peter - I appreciate it.

Jer
04-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Thanks, Barry. In case you (or others) are interested, here are a couple of better "versions" of Cut Time beating to windward in more vigorous conditions. The first one, which is in PPG, was taken in June of '07 with a K10D and DA 16-45. The second pic was taken almost exactly two years later with my K20D amd DA 18-250. I posted one of these shots before, but can't remember which .

Jer

Awesome photos Jer. I love the power of the water. I'm hoping one day one of my "toys" will be a boat!
04-15-2011, 06:10 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BlueBubbleBoy Quote
Awesome photos Jer. I love the power of the water. I'm hoping one day one of my "toys" will be a boat!
Thanks, Barry. I've been boating (sail and power) virtually all my life - still love it. You just have to remember to bring your check book .

Jer
04-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Jer, very nice images and they do bring back memories, not under sail but power. But way back than I was way too busy to keep things on an even keel, taken pictures on film was for calmer waters and riding anchors. BTW, nice legs but the first mate is still better looking.
04-16-2011, 05:33 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Hi Jer, very nice images and they do bring back memories, not under sail but power. But way back than I was way too busy to keep things on an even keel, taken pictures on film was for calmer waters and riding anchors. BTW, nice legs but the first mate is still better looking.
Thanks, Heinrich. Shooting aboard underway does require some gymnastics, which are getting a bit harder every passing year.

I agree about the first mate.

Jer
04-16-2011, 07:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Jer, really looks like the captain has it all under control. Great to see you finally out on something you love to do with your best friend! Cheers and my your seas by fair and the sun set well. Signed, Wishing I was there JIMBO
04-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Jer, really looks like the captain has it all under control. Great to see you finally out on something you love to do with your best friend! Cheers and my your seas by fair and the sun set well. Signed, Wishing I was there JIMBO
Thanks so much, my friend. Let's see some pics from you (either camera); I'm already going into withdrawal .

Jer