Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Arizona, Part 3 - Walnut Canyon
Lens: Various Camera: K20D & K10D Photo Location: Just outside Flagstaff, Az 
Posted By: UpNorth, 04-16-2011, 05:27 PM

The third leg of our Arizona journey took us to Walnut Canyon - which is less than 10 miles outside of Flagstaff, and yet a world away. According to the NPS.....

Walk in the footsteps of people who lived at Walnut Canyon more than 700 years ago. Peer into their homes, cliff dwellings built deep within canyon walls. The presence of water in a dry land made the canyon rare and valuable to its early human inhabitants. It remains valuable today as habitat for plants and animals.

#1 - "The Canyon"

#2 - Here you can see the trail leading down to the dwellings along the bottom of the photo. The dwellings start at about the 4:00 position in this shot.

#3 - The dwellings on the other side of the canyon. You can't visit these up close.

#4 - Getting closer - but you still can't get into these.....

#5 - The remains of one dwelling. Most of the front walls are missing, and some of the side walls are going. The "room" on the far right was assumed to be the kitchen, due to the fact the ceiling is all black (upper right corner) - probably from thousands of fires in that room.

#6 - Another dwelling - In much better condition.....

#7 - One more view of the canyon from above.....

An interesting step back in time, if you're in the area.

Next up - The Great Flagstaff Fire of '10 - in a few days.....

Thanks for stopping by,

Tim
Views: 1,487
04-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wonderful, I think that Walnut Canyon is one of the great unknown parks in the national parks/monument system. It's a remarkable place and beautiful scenery to boot.

Waiting with baited breath for more Northern Az shots. I went to NAU in Flag so I'm waiting..
04-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Arizona is one of the prettiest and most varied states in the Union. I always love going there. I'll have to check out the Walnut Canyon -- I've seen signs for it on my way to Sedona for business from Albuquerque many times but never investigated.
04-16-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tim, nice shots and narrative, very interesting area to explore. So many settlements in the area and the ancients just left for points unknown. This is a wonderful trip for the family, most do not ever visit places like this, they just go to Disneyland. Great job and thanks. Bob

04-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Great shots Tim, and very interesting history there. Flagstaff and the surrounding area is pinpointed on my Google Map of places I want to visit. I've got a lot of those pin points by the way.
04-17-2011, 06:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks much for posting these great shots, Tim. We took a family vacation to Flagstaff and the surrounding area back in the late '50's (driving from Illinois), and I've always wanted to go back.

Jer
04-17-2011, 07:18 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am always amazed when I see these types of ruins. It amazed me at how accomplished those Ancient Ones were. Looking for ward the Flagstaff fire photos.
04-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
Wonderful, I think that Walnut Canyon is one of the great unknown parks in the national parks/monument system. It's a remarkable place and beautiful scenery to boot.

Waiting with baited breath for more Northern Az shots. I went to NAU in Flag so I'm waiting..
Thanks Vaughn. Glad you're enjoying the trip "home" (so to speak).

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Arizona is one of the prettiest and most varied states in the Union. I always love going there. I'll have to check out the Walnut Canyon -- I've seen signs for it on my way to Sedona for business from Albuquerque many times but never investigated.
It's definitely worth the stop - if you're into history/ruins/early American, etc. And the trip around the ruins isn't huge. If memory serves, we probably spent 2 1/2 hours there - but if you wanted to "run through" you could probably get it done in an hour - so not a major time commitment if you just decide to pull off on the way home sometime.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Tim, nice shots and narrative, very interesting area to explore. So many settlements in the area and the ancients just left for points unknown. This is a wonderful trip for the family, most do not ever visit places like this, they just go to Disneyland. Great job and thanks. Bob
Thanks Bob. Yeah - We're not the Disneyland type. MUCH better to go somewhere like this - and since all the kids seem to enjoy it we must be training them right!

QuoteOriginally posted by BlueBubbleBoy Quote
Great shots Tim, and very interesting history there. Flagstaff and the surrounding area is pinpointed on my Google Map of places I want to visit. I've got a lot of those pin points by the way.
You've got to make it out there Barry. I didn't think I was a big desert fan, but there's so much to see out there. Using Flagstaff as a base, we easily filled a week and a half - and never got to some of the stuff on "the list"!

Thanks all,

Tim

04-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Thanks much for posting these great shots, Tim. We took a family vacation to Flagstaff and the surrounding area back in the late '50's (driving from Illinois), and I've always wanted to go back.

Jer

Glad you enjoyed them Jer. I'm thinking you might have a hard time finding a place to launch your boat out there though! There's a lot more land than water out there - Something us Minnesotans aren't used to! (I'm from Illinois originally also. Where are you from?)

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
I am always amazed when I see these types of ruins. It amazed me at how accomplished those Ancient Ones were. Looking for ward the Flagstaff fire photos.
You're right Susan. It's amazing what they accomplished with mostly just raw labor back then.

Thanks for looking,

Tim