Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Quest Continues
Lens: DA 21L Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Clute, TX ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Sailor, 04-18-2011, 02:50 PM

I try (and continue to fail) to produce photos of my roadster that I genuinely like. I'm still not there, but late yesterday afternoon while I was experimenting with some architectural shots and my new K-5, I got closer to what I'm seeking with the first pic in this series (ISO actually is 80). I should have cropped it more tightly (easy to fix) and there needs to be a bit of space between the car and the base of the arch to eliminate the clumsiness around the right front fender. Even so, for the first time I got the tone and feel that have eluded me in the past. The other three shots are an inside joke between myself and me.

On another note, my DA 21 was the second Limited lens I bought (several years ago), and it fell into disuse after I got a DA 15. For some reason, it has started finding its way onto my camera recently. Go figure.

Jer

Views: 5,023
04-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is one sweet whip!
04-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jer, the first photo is great, I would remove the license plate though. Just an old hot rod thing of mine. Bob
04-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice ride Jer.

I like #4 best.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 04-18-2011 at 05:19 PM.
04-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I like them all, maybe the first is the best? Looks a lot like the parking lot at the Ft worth Zoo? Nice ride you have......I'm pretty pleased with my Wrangler.....but I think you can outrun me!
Best Regards!
04-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Great shots...but # 1 looks like it's out of a Porsche (that's Por-shaa ) brochure.
04-19-2011, 04:57 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote
That is one sweet whip!
Thanks much - most precise and balanced car I've ever driven.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Jer, the first photo is great, I would remove the license plate though. Just an old hot rod thing of mine. Bob
Hey thanks, Bob - great coming from another car guy. And believe me, I'd love to ditch the ugly front plate. However, after three previous tickets from the freedom-loving state of Texas for the heinous crime of leaving the front plate off my current BMW and a couple of earlier cars, I decided to go straight and be a law abiding citizen.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Nice ride Jer.

I like #4 best.

Tom G
I appreciate it, Tom. I like the composition in 4 as well, but I should have changed to my 35 or 40 to get this shot; the wide angle distortion of my 21 makes the car look about a foot taller and two feet shorter than it actually is. I suspect if a Porsche designer were to see this pic, she or he would faint dead away. I hope to go back and do this composition right one of these days.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I like them all, maybe the first is the best? Looks a lot like the parking lot at the Ft worth Zoo? Nice ride you have......I'm pretty pleased with my Wrangler.....but I think you can outrun me!
Best Regards!
I think the first is the best, for sure. Thanks for the nice words, the Boxster is faster than the Wrangler, but when the road runs out, the Jeep can go where the Porsche would fear to tread.

Jer

04-19-2011, 05:02 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Great shots...but # 1 looks like it's out of a Porsche (that's Por-shaa ) brochure.
Thanks very much. Your reply made me smile. A couple of weeks ago I picked up my kindergartener granddaughter after school. When on of the teachers said , "That's a snazzy little car", Claire rose to her full height in indignation and told her, "It's a Por-shaa."

Jer
04-19-2011, 05:56 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
When Bob mentioned the license plate my eye went to that spot.I guess that lojack doesn't work in Texas.Gimme back my wheels.--capn zap
Attached Images

04-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
When Bob mentioned the license plate my eye went to that spot.I guess that lojack doesn't work in Texas.Gimme back my wheels.--capn zap
Sorry, but there are no extradition treaties between TX and MA. Besides, this car won't go . . . . . where there be snow.

Jer
04-19-2011, 07:02 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Sorry, but there are no extradition treaties between TX and MA. Besides, this car won't go . . . . . where there be snow.

Jer
Well at least you let me take it for a test spin.a little rubbing compound and it will be better than new.--capn zap
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hey, nice car. If you aren't getting shots you like, though, I suggest going up, like with the same angles you'd be looking down at the car when standing next to, but further back and with like a stepladder or convenient balcony. I think a lot of cars look pretty good from back there.
04-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Thanks very much. Your reply made me smile. A couple of weeks ago I picked up my kindergartener granddaughter after school. When on of the teachers said , "That's a snazzy little car", Claire rose to her full height in indignation and told her, "It's a Por-shaa."

Jer
Sounds like her knowledge base in regards to fine automobiles, already exceeds that of many adults.
04-20-2011, 04:39 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Well at least you let me take it for a test spin.a little rubbing compound and it will be better than new.--capn zap
OK Capn, now you've gone too far! To modify a front liscense plate is one thing, but to retouch a my car to look like a Mercedes SLK . . . . . . well . . . . . that's just beyond the pale.

Jer
04-20-2011, 04:42 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hey, nice car. If you aren't getting shots you like, though, I suggest going up, like with the same angles you'd be looking down at the car when standing next to, but further back and with like a stepladder or convenient balcony. I think a lot of cars look pretty good from back there.
Thanks, RML. Sounds like a good idea - I'll give a try.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Sounds like her knowledge base in regards to fine automobiles, already exceeds that of many adults.
She has her Grampa's DNA in this regard, I'm afraid. Believe it or not, she knows the lyrics to the Beach Boys' "409" and "Shut Down."

Jer