Let my 4 year-old loose with a K200D and FA43
Posted By: dgaies, 04-21-2011, 03:12 PM

Views: 10,430
04-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #16
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even still mate, he's got some concept of framing there and we can't expect him to get his intended subject in focus. Good job he's done.

04-22-2011, 05:41 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Even still mate, he's got some concept of framing there and we can't expect him to get his intended subject in focus. Good job he's done.
I know, I was just kidding around about him getting <20% of his shots in focus. He had a lot of fun with "his" new camera and that was really the goal, not the actual shots. Plus even I was having a tough time as the crowds were pretty heavy and we were both getting jostled around quite a bit.

I also learned that whatever shutter speed you think you need for a particular shot needed to be reevaluated when you have a 20 kg child on your shoulders
05-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Ok, Dan, I missed this thread before, but now I have seen it and not sure if I am happy or sad. First I will echo what some of the others said, his shots that you posted, beat many many around on flickr and many of mine

Also, hey man, your son's "Toy" is my Pro Kit (well my Pro Kit don't have any Limiteds actually), and no way is my 5yr old seeing your story here. Mine has a plastic point n shoot 35mm film camera that has no film nor batteries in it, but .... errr ... he has been askin bout why it don't take pictures. So, he is definitely not seeing this nor ever meeting you (unless you are adopting us both for a day of shopping at B&H or such).

Hey and yeah, your little shooter has a good eye, both for art (elephant wicker stuff is coooool) and for the ladies. See how he got that shot by hiding behind you. She probably never noticed him there and he got that shot. He just didn't know that Lightroom will let him edit you out of his photos. Next he is going to need a notebook and some Adobe products. I see some expensive Christmas and Birthday gifts in your future.

Fun post including all the comments BTW
05-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So, when does your son get his own log-in to the Pentax forum?

05-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jays0n Quote
Ok, Dan, I missed this thread before, but now I have seen it and not sure if I am happy or sad. First I will echo what some of the others said, his shots that you posted, beat many many around on flickr and many of mine

Also, hey man, your son's "Toy" is my Pro Kit (well my Pro Kit don't have any Limiteds actually), and no way is my 5yr old seeing your story here. Mine has a plastic point n shoot 35mm film camera that has no film nor batteries in it, but .... errr ... he has been askin bout why it don't take pictures. So, he is definitely not seeing this nor ever meeting you (unless you are adopting us both for a day of shopping at B&H or such).

Hey and yeah, your little shooter has a good eye, both for art (elephant wicker stuff is coooool) and for the ladies. See how he got that shot by hiding behind you. She probably never noticed him there and he got that shot. He just didn't know that Lightroom will let him edit you out of his photos. Next he is going to need a notebook and some Adobe products. I see some expensive Christmas and Birthday gifts in your future.

Fun post including all the comments BTW
Yeah, he's got a pretty nice little kit at the moment. I just "traded" him a DA40, 18-55WR and 50-200WR in exchange for my FA43 back. I figured those three lenses are all pretty light-weight and should give him a nice range of focal lengths to get started with
05-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
So, when does your son get his own log-in to the Pentax forum?
Hmmm... I wonder if there are any rules, in terms of a minimum age, to get a username here. Not sure if you were joking or not, but that's not a bad idea either way

BTW, here are some shots from this weekend when we visited the dairy farm where we get our milk. I believe he was shooting with the DA40 you sent me (thanks again btw). Just looked through the shots, and no surprise, there's about two dozen shots of cows. The first one is a shot of him taking the shots, the other two are his. I think he was going for some creative framing in the last shot... that or he's too short to take a shot over the fence

05-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shots!

05-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whoa, can't believe he's got a K200D! But then again, it seems fully justified in his little hands!

Nice work, Noah, and fun thread there, Dan.
05-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Nice work by the little guy. Most impressive is his ability to maintain a nice level horizon in most all his shots. Some photogs forever struggle with that and he's already got it knocked!
05-07-2011, 05:58 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Nice shots!
QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
Whoa, can't believe he's got a K200D! But then again, it seems fully justified in his little hands!

Nice work, Noah, and fun thread there, Dan.
QuoteOriginally posted by NbyNW Quote
Nice work by the little guy. Most impressive is his ability to maintain a nice level horizon in most all his shots. Some photogs forever struggle with that and he's already got it knocked!
Thanks everyone for the comments, I've passed them along to the photographer who is currently hard at work perfecting his other hobby, Mario Kart on the Wii

When I bought the K200D for him to use, I just assumed (incorrectly) that it was closer in size the K-x. Turns out it's the same size and weight as my K-5. Even so, he seems to be able to hold it well enough with two hands, which is one of the reasons I started him with a prime not a zoom since I think he might have trouble holding it with a single hand right now.

It's funny, when I showed him this post last night, the very first question he asked me was, "Where's the picture of the pig? Daddy, I know I took one picture of the pigs, it should be on the card (pointing at the SD card in the computer)." Sure enough, there was one pig picture on the card
05-07-2011, 07:23 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tarzan meets Jane in that last one! Those are great!
05-07-2011, 07:32 AM   #27
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Great idea, and it will get him started and off to a future where he knows what he is doing.....unlike me that only got into photography a few short years ago and missed a lifetime of fun and joy.

I did let Otis use my K20D once....ate the strap and got peanut butter all over the lens. Ate the SD card...said he thought it was a cracker.......I'm sure you had better results!
Best Regards!
05-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Tarzan meets Jane in that last one! Those are great!
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Great idea, and it will get him started and off to a future where he knows what he is doing.....unlike me that only got into photography a few short years ago and missed a lifetime of fun and joy.

I did let Otis use my K20D once....ate the strap and got peanut butter all over the lens. Ate the SD card...said he thought it was a cracker.......I'm sure you had better results!
Best Regards!
He'd been showing a lot of interest in my camera and lenses over the past year, so I figured I'd see what happens if I got him one of his own. Plus, I don't have to worry as much if something were to accidentally happen to his relatively inexpensive used K200D I got him as opposed to my considerable more expensive new K-5 body This specific body I found him turned out to be perfect as the AF/MF switch was broken so the net cost to me was pretty inexpensive for an otherwise fully functional K200D. About the only thing this particular K200D body won't do is give him the ability to manually focus with a non-quickshift AF lens - something I doubt he's too concerned about.

Perhaps with the most recent addition to his kit, the 50-200WR, he can attempt a few squirrel shots in the backyard this summer
05-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #29
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Thanks

He'd been showing a lot of interest in my camera and lenses over the past year, so I figured I'd see what happens if I got him one of his own. Plus, I don't have to worry as much if something were to accidentally happen to his relatively inexpensive used K200D I got him as opposed to my considerable more expensive new K-5 body This specific body I found him turned out to be perfect as the AF/MF switch was broken so the net cost to me was pretty inexpensive for an otherwise fully functional K200D. About the only thing this particular K200D body won't do is give him the ability to manually focus with a non-quickshift AF lens - something I doubt he's too concerned about.

Perhaps with the most recent addition to his kit, the 50-200WR, he can attempt a few squirrel shots in the backyard this summer

That would be great! We need a new generation of Squirrel shooters, it is what is missing in the world today....right?
Hopefully he can do better than me, my Squirrels constantly complain that I don't fully capture their "inner beauty". I tell them that if I skinned them and made Squirrel Stew, I could get that inner beauty on a good Macro shot....usually stops the whining for a while.
Best Regards!
05-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This gels with the Pentax slogan... "Be Interesting..."