Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Let my 4 year-old loose with a K200D and FA43
Posted By: dgaies, 04-21-2011, 03:12 PM

Views: 10,432
05-07-2011, 11:49 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
that's what I call talent. He will probably end up being a professional photographer.

05-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #32

I rarely ever post on the forum (just a reader) but this thread is just wow. Lol. I know what I'm getting for my niece! Luckily for me she's still a year away from hitting 4 so I've still got time to save some money.

But damn, a DA 40 limited?

Ai-karamba. I might only be able to get my niece an 18-55 (or M 50mm f1.4?) lol.

<<<< That's her in the photo about... a year ago.
05-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tjk911 Quote
I rarely ever post on the forum (just a reader) but this thread is just wow. Lol. I know what I'm getting for my niece! Luckily for me she's still a year away from hitting 4 so I've still got time to save some money.

But damn, a DA 40 limited?

Ai-karamba. I might only be able to get my niece an 18-55 (or M 50mm f1.4?) lol.

<<<< That's her in the photo about... a year ago.
Well, he might be getting a "downgrade" as I picked up a DAL 35/2.4 last night to try out for him. I'm sure either would work equally well, but at half the price of the DA40 I figure I'd worry less about something going wrong (as in him dropping it).

Actually, there was some additional LBA on his behalf this weekend. Before I picked up the 35/2.4, I repurchased an FA28/2.8 that I sold a few months ago from a local PF member thinking that might be a good option for him instead of the 40. Then, on top of that, I had him using a 18-55WR this afternoon and I was surprised that he seemed to handle the zoom pretty well, so I guess in the end he'll have all sorts of options
05-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #34
Veteran Member

What's amazing to me is that you have him using a DSLR with lenses at that age. Most people would have given their kid an inexpensive pocket camera! I must say though he's doing pretty darned well for a boy who's barely kinder age. Not bad at all!

05-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
What's amazing to me is that you have him using a DSLR with lenses at that age. Most people would have given their kid an inexpensive pocket camera! I must say though he's doing pretty darned well for a boy who's barely kinder age. Not bad at all!
Thanks

FWIW, I did try to give him an older P&S (Fuji F20) at first, but he said he wanted one he could "see through" because he was having trouble using the LCD on the back to take pictures. He said he wanted a "real camera", like daddy has. I can't really argue with him, I dislike composing shots on a rear LCD screen as well

Also, for the record, even though he's used a few different lenses so far (43, 40, 18-55WR, 50-200WR), I still hold onto the lenses and change them for him. He's pretty careful and respectful of the gear, but I think it would be asking a lot of a four year-old to carry and change lenses. Maybe when he's five!
05-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Maybe when he's five!
very good.
05-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like your reasoning here (and how you buy lenses,,,, Dad ) and I have let my son use a P&S ( and a phone when he was around 2, and even created his own account at zooomr.com then ( Photos from Jun9n | Zooomr Photo Sharing ) and the most trouble he had then and now was looking at the screen to frame the shot. Ugh ugh, ok, so maybe a DSLR might be in his near future. Good idea really. He ain't gettin no K200D and no Ltds either though. So what to get my 5yr old? Maybe a K2000/K-m or K100D? If my son sees this thread though, he will probably start a change.org petition to stop cruelty to children and to get himself adopted by Mr. dgaies.

One a side note, I just glanced at the camera database to see what to suggest here, and noticed that the first *ist D looks freakin awesome, so want one now. Suppose they never pop up. Lots of DS and DLs though, that little first one looks great. want want want. Going to blam dgaies for this now too

05-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jays0n Quote
I like your reasoning here (and how you buy lenses,,,, Dad ) and I have let my son use a P&S ( and a phone when he was around 2, and even created his own account at zooomr.com then ( Photos from Jun9n | Zooomr Photo Sharing ) and the most trouble he had then and now was looking at the screen to frame the shot. Ugh ugh, ok, so maybe a DSLR might be in his near future. Good idea really. He ain't gettin no K200D and no Ltds either though. So what to get my 5yr old? Maybe a K2000/K-m or K100D? If my son sees this thread though, he will probably start a change.org petition to stop cruelty to children and to get himself adopted by Mr. dgaies.

One a side note, I just glanced at the camera database to see what to suggest here, and noticed that the first *ist D looks freakin awesome, so want one now. Suppose they never pop up. Lots of DS and DLs though, that little first one looks great. want want want. Going to blam dgaies for this now too
It seems I've had a couple of adoption proposals as a result of this thread

I think any of the older DSLR bodies would make a good choice. In fact, given the choice, a K2000/K-x would have been idea as they're a fair amount lighter than the K200D. I only ended up going with the K200D because it was actually the cheapest option (by far). It had a pretty high shutter count (~30k) and the AF/MF switch is broken (it's stuck in AF mode). But it didn't cost too much and it's in really nice shape otherwise, so it seems perfect for this task. I figure he's not going to be doing a lot of manual focusing anyway

Last edited by dgaies; 06-05-2011 at 12:06 PM.
05-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here are a few shots Noah took of his friends while on his field trip this morning. He only took 16 shots, but most of which turned out pretty decent (IMO).

All shots taken with the K200D and DA40. I basically just cropped them and added a little fill-light in LR3.

05-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Noah is awesome! Great job
05-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Noah is awesome! Great job
Thanks, I'll pass that along once the photographer wakes up from his nap

Here's a quick snap of him in action this afternoon. He's quite serious when he's shooting...

05-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Man that boy of yours has talent Dan. His portrait portfolio is superb!

What makes me feel the fuzziest is, I can already foresee the content of his interviews - when he makes it as a photog - and he'll be putting it down to "shooting with an SLR for as long as he can remember. I have to thank my Dad for that!". Great work and the results speak for themselves.

I look forward to Noah's blog....and his joining us on PF in a year or two.
05-16-2011, 04:50 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshunter Quote
Man that boy of yours has talent Dan. His portrait portfolio is superb!

What makes me feel the fuzziest is, I can already foresee the content of his interviews - when he makes it as a photog - and he'll be putting it down to "shooting with an SLR for as long as he can remember. I have to thank my Dad for that!". Great work and the results speak for themselves.

I look forward to Noah's blog....and his joining us on PF in a year or two.
I suppose at some point he will need his own blog and/or PF username

In the meantime he'll have to rely on me for that. Speaking of which, that was one side-effect I didn't consider; every time we go out I have to throw his body/lenses in my bag too since he's not quite up to carrying it all. So much for enjoying a nice lightweight bag with a few small primes
05-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Speaking of which, that was one side-effect I didn't consider; every time we go out I have to throw his body/lenses in my bag too since he's not quite up to carrying it all. So much for enjoying a nice lightweight bag with a few small primes
CLASSIC! I love it...."Quick dad pass me the camera! No, NO, I'm going wide here so click us on the DA15. C'mon, hurry, the moment's passing.."
Well mate every pro needs a caddy. Just be happy he's taking you along for the ride

I still stick with the line....WHAT A DAD!!! Great work.
05-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
CLASSIC! I love it...."Quick dad pass me the camera! No, NO, I'm going wide here so click us on the DA15. C'mon, hurry, the moment's passing.."
Well mate every pro needs a caddy. Just be happy he's taking you along for the ride
Yeah, I've quickly realized my place (as his caddy). After about 15 minutes of the camera hanging around his neck, he usually asks me to hold it for a little while and then he'll comes back to get it when he wants to take more shots

Good call on the 15, I think he's actually like that lens. I just checked his last set of shots and about 75% of his shots from the 18-55WR were taken at 18mm. Maybe the boy just needs a wider lenses; although he seems to be equally happy with his new DAL35/2.4, so I guess he's pretty flexible

I still stick with the line....WHAT A DAD!!! Great work.
Thanks. Although on some level I think I used this all as an excuse to fuel my LBA. I pretty much ran out of things to buy so I used putting his kit together as an excuse to buy more stuff. It was funny yesterday a giant box was deliver to the door that weighed 60lbs (~27kg). We got home and the first things he said was, "Dad, what kind of lens is in that box???". Sadly, it wasn't an FA*250-600, but rather two 30lbs bags of dog food