Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Let my 4 year-old loose with a K200D and FA43
Posted By: dgaies, 04-21-2011, 03:12 PM

Views: 10,461
05-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Thanks. Although on some level I think I used this all as an excuse to fuel my LBA. I pretty much ran out of things to buy so I used putting his kit together as an excuse to buy more stuff. It was funny yesterday a giant box was deliver to the door that weighed 60lbs (~27kg). We got home and the first things he said was, "Dad, what kind of lens is in that box???". Sadly, it wasn't an FA*250-600, but rather two 30lbs bags of dog food
This is a great story, but after getting to know you, through the forum, I can see where he is coming from

Regarding the need for a wider lens, I think your onto something there. The kid doesn't have a 12-24 f/4 in his caddy's bag.

05-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's such a cute idea, he looks adorable with that dSLR I let my daughter use mine sometimes and she takes a lot less blurrier shots with it, than she does with her new P&S.

I might have to look into an old one if she keeps her interest up. It'd be good to grow up learning how to take decent photos I think.
05-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #48
Veteran Member

dgaies, this is a great thread, your son looks to be having a ball with his camera

I'll be getting a K-5 soon and your thread has given me inspiration to let my 8 y.o. use my K-x instead of a hand-me-down P&S he uses now. He loves taking photos and processing them, although I must admit some of his post processing choices aren't my cup of tea

I have a DA40 I barely use now since I got my FA31, so I think that would be a great combination for him; K-x + DA40. I think I'd barely get $100 for my K-x so why not.
05-31-2011, 05:09 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jays0n Quote
This is a great story, but after getting to know you, through the forum, I can see where he is coming from
True, it's not like there's any shortage of LBA in our house

Regarding the need for a wider lens, I think your onto something there. The kid doesn't have a 12-24 f/4 in his caddy's bag.
Also true, he doesn't have access to a 12-24 at the moment. Used to have one, but got rid of it after deciding on the 15. I think Noah would enjoy the 15 more anyway.

05-31-2011, 05:16 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote
That's such a cute idea, he looks adorable with that dSLR I let my daughter use mine sometimes and she takes a lot less blurrier shots with it, than she does with her new P&S.

I might have to look into an old one if she keeps her interest up. It'd be good to grow up learning how to take decent photos I think.
He does get quite a bit of attention when he's shooting with his "new" setup. A get a fair number of comments asking if I'm concerned he's going to drop it. Honestly I think it's far less likely he's going to damage this setup, especially with the neck strap, as compared to a smaller P&S that's easier to drop and damage. Plus, as you said, he gets much better results from the DSLR setup than from the times I tried to get him to use a small P&S (and a lot better than when he runs around the house with my iPhone taking pictures of stuff)
05-31-2011, 05:21 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
dgaies, this is a great thread, your son looks to be having a ball with his camera

I'll be getting a K-5 soon and your thread has given me inspiration to let my 8 y.o. use my K-x instead of a hand-me-down P&S he uses now. He loves taking photos and processing them, although I must admit some of his post processing choices aren't my cup of tea

I have a DA40 I barely use now since I got my FA31, so I think that would be a great combination for him; K-x + DA40. I think I'd barely get $100 for my K-x so why not.
Thanks, it's certainly been an entertaining thread so far He is having a lot of fun, which in the end is the important part.

I kind of wish I had kept my K-x when I bought the K-5. At the time I sold both my K-7 and K-x to (partially) fund the K-5. The K-x would be perfect as it's even smaller than the K200D, has better high ISO performance (which is nice to keep the shutter speed higher for a toddler's somewhat shaky hands). Then again, I got closer to $350 when I sold mine so replacing it with a sub $100 DSLR body still saved me a decent amount. But that aside, the K-x + DA40 is probably about as good as it gets for this application.

That's great that you have him post processing, even if it's not to your tastes At 4, it's probably a bit early to try and get Noah to do that. That said, he's been using the computer on his own for the better part of 2 years now so maybe I'm underestimating him.

Last edited by dgaies; 05-31-2011 at 06:21 PM.
05-31-2011, 06:22 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Although not photography related, I though this might be entertaining:

05-31-2011, 06:40 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks, I'll pass that along once the photographer wakes up from his nap

Here's a quick snap of him in action this afternoon. He's quite serious when he's shooting...
He is so adorably focused! Look at that face and posture.
06-01-2011, 01:14 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Pure Gold Dan. He's a chip off the old block.....

....so a sample of K5 video capability?
06-01-2011, 01:38 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Although not photography related, I though this might be entertaining:

Noah's Dance Moves
Nawww that's just so cute!
06-01-2011, 06:14 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
He is so adorably focused! Look at that face and posture.
He does take things quite seriously when he's shooting

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshunter Quote
Pure Gold Dan. He's a chip off the old block.....

....so a sample of K5 video capability?
While he is a chip off the old block, I assure you the dancing is all him! BTW, I didn't bring the K-5 with me to the party, nor any other DSLR, so that wasn't an example of the K-5's video. It was actually just a clip from my iPhone.

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote
Nawww that's just so cute!
Yeah, he knew just how to turn the cuteness on during the party, and he certainly seemed to enjoy the attention
06-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #57
Veteran Member

What a great thread. Noah certainly has the goods, inherited from Dad, eh?
06-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
What a great thread. Noah certainly has the goods, inherited from Dad, eh?
Thanks

And as you said in your PM, I really do think that it's easier for him to shoot something like the K200D than a compact P&S. Despite his small hands and the DSLR's large size, it gives him something to hold on to and he has a much easier time using a VF compared to an LCD on the back of a P&S camera.
06-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #59
Veteran Member

I forgot to mention that recently I talked Dan out of one of Noah's cameras (K100D Super). Please nobody tell Noah who I am once he gets a account on the forum though, don't need any thumbs down or complaints to Adam from him about me. The kid (besides having all the Ladies with his Dancing and Photography skills) has all those Limited lenses and a couple K200Ds (and I hear there might be a KX in his future) so he did not need the 100D as much as I did, right? I am trying not to feel guilty.

j
06-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I forgot to mention that recently I talked Dan out of one of Noah's cameras (K100D Super). Please nobody tell Noah who I am once he gets a account on the forum though, don't need any thumbs down or complaints to Adam from him about me. The kid (besides having all the Ladies with his Dancing and Photography skills) has all those Limited lenses and a couple K200Ds (and I hear there might be a KX in his future) so he did not need the 100D as much as I did, right? I am trying not to feel guilty.

j
Noah actually got "his" K-x last night, so he's should be ok with you getting the K100D Super The K200D was working out fine for him, but I figured something a little lighter would be better. Plus, I kind of missed having a K-x and since I'm carrying around his stuff in my bag, I figured this would benefit both of us

Now I'm just left to decide between the DA35/2.4 and the DA40 to stick on the K-x for him and then I'll be done (well, as done as you can be when you having this level of LBA and are shopping for two).