Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Arizona, Part 5 - Grand Canyon I
Lens: Various Camera: K20D & K10D Photo Location: Grand Canyon, AZ 
Posted By: UpNorth, 04-23-2011, 07:39 PM

After getting chased out of Flagstaff by the Schultz Fire we headed off for the Grand Canyon. Not much narrative required here - after all, it's the Grand Canyon!
It was the first time seeing it for all 6 of us, and it's well worth the trip.....

#1 Sunset the first night. Got their too late to do anything more than get a couple of snaps in quickly.

#2 Day one.

#3 Notice the people on the trail near the bottom center of the photo. There's also a couple on the far right, at about the 4:00 position - just to give a sense of scale.

#7 The start of sunset on our first full day.

#8 Sunset continued.

#9 They had to do some trail repair while we were there, and that's done by loading burros with saddlebags of dirt, and then walking them down the trail in a "burro train", dumping the bags, and heading back up to the top for more dirt. Here they had dumped the dirt, and the cowboy was leading them back up the trail. You get very specific instructions as they're coming down to make sure you get against the INSIDE edge, and let the burros take the OUTSIDE edge. I guess they've lost a few people in the past that didn't follow those rules!

Next up - Grand Canyon II, before moving on down the road.....

Thanks for looking,

Tim
Views: 1,632
04-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tim, did you get the feeling that every time you looked in a different direction, that was the perfect shot. Sure glad we now have digital cameras, just think what it would cost using film. You are right in the vastness of the canyon, in your sunset photos, the Colorado River looks like a little stream. We visited there last year also, isn't it amazing what a little bit of erosion can do. That is a trip the kids will always remember. thanks for the series, enjoyed them. Bob
04-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots, especially #2. I had an encounter with a mountain sheep on the trail, but it was uneventful. I sort of looked away as he passed so I would not spook him :-)

Everyone calls it "the" Grand Canyon, though it's really just "Grand Canyon." I can't help it, either :-)
04-24-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I never get tired of seeing photo's of the Grand Old Lady... Well done Tim. Can't pick one favorite. Cheers JIM

04-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Tim, did you get the feeling that every time you looked in a different direction, that was the perfect shot. Sure glad we now have digital cameras, just think what it would cost using film. You are right in the vastness of the canyon, in your sunset photos, the Colorado River looks like a little stream. We visited there last year also, isn't it amazing what a little bit of erosion can do. That is a trip the kids will always remember. thanks for the series, enjoyed them. Bob
That's funny Bob. I was thinking the same thing when I was there. If I'd have been using my ZX-5n I'd have taken a lot less shots.
It's funny when you think people go whitewater rafting down the Colorado, and yet when you (barely) see it from above it looks like a creek down there.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Nice shots, especially #2. I had an encounter with a mountain sheep on the trail, but it was uneventful. I sort of looked away as he passed so I would not spook him :-)

Everyone calls it "the" Grand Canyon, though it's really just "Grand Canyon." I can't help it, either :-)
Thanks SpecialK. Smart move on your part with the sheep. There's not a lot of room on those trails if you had to get into a wrestling match with him.
I know what you mean about the name. You'll notice in the title I called it "Grand Canyon I" - but then 30 seconds later when I was typing.....

Thanks,

Tim
04-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
I never get tired of seeing photo's of the Grand Old Lady... Well done Tim. Can't pick one favorite. Cheers JIM
Thanks Jim. Like Bob said - it seems like everywhere you turn out there there's another photo op, so there's always something different to see.

Tim
04-24-2011, 05:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tim - you've done an excellent job of conveying how big this sucker really is; not everyone succeeds at that based on what I've seen over the years. Very nice job. I hope you guys are really enjoying yourselves - since it rewards us with the great shots you post.

Jer
04-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Tim - you've done an excellent job of conveying how big this sucker really is; not everyone succeeds at that based on what I've seen over the years. Very nice job. I hope you guys are really enjoying yourselves - since it rewards us with the great shots you post.

Jer

Thanks Jer. I appreciate it.....

Tim