Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
BC's Columbia Valley
Lens: FA 43mm Limited Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Revelstoke, BC, Canada ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F19 
Posted By: Chex, 04-23-2011, 11:38 PM

I went for a drive out on some forestry roads today to grab shots like this! I have another panoramic from the same location using a SMC Tak 200mm I'm working on too. I was excited to get shooting and I didn't even notice I was at ISO 800 and not 80.. ahh well, it turned out pretty nice anyways!

Attached Images

Views: 1,957
04-24-2011, 01:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you said turned out well, I say turned out beautiful. great photo, can't wait until we visit this pristine area. thanks for posting. Bob
04-24-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Gorgeous vista - I can smell the clean air all the way from damp, muggy coastal Texas.

Jer
04-24-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Signing on to say that's a great image. The upper right corner is blown out, though.

Revelstoke/Northern end of Okanagan is a fabulous place. It's still relatively undiscovered -- everyone knows about Kelowna and Penticton but no one thinks of the Shuswap, Mara Lake or the Columbia Valley.

04-24-2011, 11:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The top right is blown out due to the minor HDR work I did PP, the actual pano's top right was recovered, I'll post it as nice as well. I also had one that my settings were WAY off and the sky and top of the distant mountains were blown, I recovered it as best I could.. I think the effect is pretty cool, I'll post a bunch in the next few days.. LOVING PhotoMerg and PhotoMatix 4.. fun stuff!
04-24-2011, 11:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
Revelstoke/Northern end of Okanagan is a fabulous place. It's still relatively undiscovered -- everyone knows about Kelowna and Penticton but no one thinks of the Shuswap, Mara Lake or the Columbia Valley.
I'm quite ok with this.. like having our own little hidden gem out here that the world doesn't seem to know about. If the weather permits I think I'll try to go up on the new ski hills gondola to the top hopefully around sunset and try some shots and pano's.. sunset and blue hour just won't last long enough!
04-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

majestic panorama... breathtaking view.... dave m

04-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The only thing that could improve that shot would be a little tiny speck in that river, that would be me in my canoe.

QuoteQuote:
I say turned out beautiful. great photo, can't wait until we visit this pristine area

Jeese Bob, you mean pristine apart from the huge clear cuts?
04-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Unfortunately forestry was the driving economy here for years, it would probably take a helicopter or a good days hike to find some without any logged area's. This was shot from the side of a logging road.. so I'm just glad i had driving access to get to a place like this. I intend to go hike up around Rogers Pass just east of here and do some more shooting as soon as the snow melts.
04-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wow, what a view. The blown out effect in the right corner is actually looking nice, like it's been painted. Thanks for sharing.
04-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I have been to Rogers pass so many times. The hike up to the glacier is amazing. I'd love to get back there with a camera. My itinerary when I went out with my kids was.. four days hiking in Yoho, up from Laughing Horse falls to the Iceline trail, staying in the Little Yoho campground.. hike down after 4 days, stay at the Best Western at Rogers pass. After three or four days of hiking at high altitude eating freeze dried food, we'd come down and do the 10$ all you can eat roast beef buffet at the Best Western. Once, my son ate so much I thought they were going to throw us out. The parks exhibit there is excellent as well. If there was anyway I could make it to Rogers Pass in a day, I'd be there tomorrow.
04-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'd hold out for better weather and a bit less snow for easier hiking!
I'm in Revelstoke, so Rogers Pass summit on the #1 is only 45 minutes east. This pano was about 20 min south after the pavement ends.. Other ones I have are even closer Panoramics - a set on Flickr