Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A story about a lamp
Posted By: betsypdx, 10-30-2007, 09:01 PM

As some of you may know, I have a gallery - The Lamp Photo Gallery by betsypdx at pbase.com - dedicated to a lamp. I try out all new lenses on it, and like shooting it from different angles, playing around with the shots in pp, etc.

Since it's at my parents' house (over the dining room table), it's almost a joke whenever I go there. My niece and nephew (12 and 10) roll their eyes every time - "more lamp shots?!". The other night though, my niece asked to try for herself. I handed her the K10 with Super Takumar 85 1.9 and explained how she had to manually focus, couldn't zoom, and had to step back to take a shot. She took several shots, and then her brother gave her a quizzical look, asking "now you're taking pictures of the lamp?!" I was so pleased when she responded - "It's actually really interesting - it's totally different when you're taking pictures of it." Whoo hoo - a convert! So, Teddy then took a shot of his own, and seemed pleased with his as well.

So here are their shots:
Anna's

and my favorite of the bunch

and Teddy's shot

and last, one of my LBA shots - with the Super-Multi-Coated Macro-Takumar 50 mm 1:4

Views: 1,630
10-30-2007, 09:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Geeze! They're really quite arresting. To me, they look futuristic... like modern art. What did the kids think of them? Are you going to have prints made and give them each a copy? I'm sure that the next time you're with them, they're going to want to get behind that viewfinder of yours.
10-30-2007, 09:15 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Now that's one keen lamp! Well, not as good as the leg lamp from A Christmas Story, but pretty darn close. I also really enjoyed your story of the recent lamp convert!

This is the first time I've seen your lamp gallery... post-modern coolness! Dig it!
10-30-2007, 09:31 PM   #4
and
Veteran Member

Woa that is seriously cool, straight out of a sci-fi movie! Really great lines here, very futuristic. I have never seem lamp photos this interesting

10-30-2007, 10:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for looking and commenting!

QuoteOriginally posted by JamesD Quote
Geeze! They're really quite arresting. To me, they look futuristic... like modern art. What did the kids think of them? Are you going to have prints made and give them each a copy? I'm sure that the next time you're with them, they're going to want to get behind that viewfinder of yours.
Probably won't make any prints unless they ask me - I did make a book from shots the 5 year old took with my point and shoot W10. He also likes the K10, but it almost weighs more than him! Anna browses my pbase galleries and replaces her parent's desktop wallpaper with random pictures from my galleries, so that's kind of fun to discover from time to time.

QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
Now that's one keen lamp! Well, not as good as the leg lamp from A Christmas Story, but pretty darn close. I also really enjoyed your story of the recent lamp convert!

This is the first time I've seen your lamp gallery... post-modern coolness! Dig it!
Anna is a pretty good photographer on her own, but I'm glad she's interested in abstracts as well. One of her photos is going to be on the cover of her middle school yearbook (with the bunny ears cloned out according to her).
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Woa that is seriously cool, straight out of a sci-fi movie! Really great lines here, very futuristic. I have never seem lamp photos this interesting
I do like the lamp And, my neighborhood grocery store has several of the same style (but bigger) along with another few of another style. I've taken some shots from outside, but am a little self-conscious of taking shots inside (of lamps).
10-31-2007, 05:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

They are ikea paper lamps?

Creative and great compositions. You always manage to turn ordinary things into the extra-ordinary.

Great shots!
10-31-2007, 06:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, I really like those shots, very cool:-).

10-31-2007, 07:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice - just goes to show ya there is creativity in everywhere we look. Nice story as well.
11-02-2007, 11:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I must admit that I hadn't seen your lamp gallery. I thoroughly enjoyed it. You have a great eye and are very creative. Your exposures are perfect, and the compositions are a delight. I do get the desire to rotate some of them just a tad. Strange eh?
11-03-2007, 11:21 PM   #10

I never thought I'd be so taken aback by a lamp.

Awesome shots... including those by your niece.
11-03-2007, 11:23 PM   #11

BTW... I get the 'eyeroll' too. Mainly from my wife who thinks the camera is going to ruin her life.